HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:59 AM
Baryonic Lord

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:02 AM
Baryonic Lord

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:04 AM
Baryonic Lord

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
Perhaps they can add extra floors?
I don't get it.

I just think it needs all new glass, but I don't know if the building can handle more floors.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 3:54 PM
FYHA

I just recieved this from The Titan's "First Choice" mailing service...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:11 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
I don't get it.

I just think it needs all new glass, but I don't know if the building can handle more floors.
I sincerely doubt the demand would be there for a vertical expansion at this point, if not just for that but there would be some definite engineering issues involved. I doubt this was designed like a number of the 6-12 story buildings in the Medical Center that can piggyback the additional stress of extra, post-construction floors.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
I sincerely doubt the demand would be there for a vertical expansion at this point, if not just for that but there would be some definite engineering issues involved. I doubt this was designed like a number of the 6-12 story buildings in the Medical Center that can piggyback the additional stress of extra, post-construction floors.
Be sure to let Xeelee know, because he was the one that brought it up.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 8:58 PM
Baryonic Lord

Made to measure... hrm...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
The Meninger Clinic is going to move from West Houston to an area closer to the Med Center (I think Main at South Post Oak). They plan on building a 280,000 + square foot new campus with around 150 beds. Maybe that's the news?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe Methodist Hospital is getting ready to release a rendering for their new "north campus" facility? That thing is supposed to be HUGE.
Apparently the Big announcement I enquired about on last week was the Medical Center announcing the addition of 30,000 new jobs over the next 7 years, which will include 7 Billion Dollars of investment. So that of course means more buildings. Lets hope some nice designs are chosen.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:39 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjhe View Post
Apparently the Big announcement I enquired about on last week was the Medical Center announcing the addition of 30,000 new jobs over the next 7 years, which will include 7 Billion Dollars of investment. So that of course means more buildings. Lets hope some nice designs are chosen.
Ah, I take it to correspond with this Press Release and an AP story rewritten from it.

With the institutions of the Medical Center able to get just about anything green-lighted, you're right about quality designs being pretty much the only concern. Considering they're building further and further out of the traditional core they certainly have the space to work with. On the opposite side of things, the area is one of the densest in terms of structures in the city, so it could also be a fantastic opportunity to create a signature presence above or within the forest of buildings. Fantastic news all around!

Last edited by Wattleigh; Nov 22, 2007 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:07 AM
Baryonic Lord

This is good news

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:44 AM
FYHA

A few photo updates, taken today while attempting to walk off the turkey and everything else...

High Street Houston - looks to be in the beginning stages of being cleared out

2727 Kirby

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:32 AM
FYHA

The possibility of twin 27-story condos for the Memorial area, developed by Azorim and managed by Boymelgreen...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5323129.html

Nov. 22, 2007, 10:34PM
Two luxury condo towers in works for Memorial area
New York developer says demand is there

By NANCY SARNOFF
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A New York developer is planning two condominium towers on San Felipe near the tony neighborhoods of Tanglewood and Memorial.

The company chose Houston as the location for the project because of its strong economy and unmet demand for luxury high-rise housing, development executive Sara Mirski said.

Plans for the 5.4-acre site, at the corner of San Felipe and Woodway, include two towers with 27 residential floors and a total of 223 condominiums surrounded by lush landscaping and fountains.

The project is being developed by Azorim, an Israeli real estate firm whose shares trade on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange. Brooklyn-based Boymelgreen Developers, whose founder owns 64 percent of Azorim, is managing the pro- ject.

Sales will begin next fall on the units, which will start at $1 million and average 2,500 square feet.

A sales center will be built across from the building site, which now houses a cluster of low-rise commercial structures.

In recent years, other developers have tried to hawk similarly priced units, but their buildings never came out of the ground.

The developers gave various reasons for the cancellations, including market uncertainties related to Hurricane Katrina and slow unit sales.

Turnberry, a Florida developer, recently began preselling condominiums in a building proposed near the Water Wall at Williams Tower with units ranging from $1 million to more than $8 million.

The company is taking a patient attitude about sales.

"We're off to a good start," Turnberry's Jim Cohen said. "We know we're not going to sell the building over- night."

Turnberry has secured sales contracts on about 25 of the 184 units in a little over two months, Cohen said, adding that foundation work should start in the first quarter of next year.

Many of the buyers are from South America, Europe and the Middle East.

"We didn't realize how deep that market is," Cohen said.

Averaging just under 3,000 square feet, the units are "decorator ready," meaning they're not entirely finished out. Bathrooms and kitchens, however, do come finished.

Mirski said the development of the Azorim project is not dependent on preselling a portion of the units, which will all come completely finished.

"We believe in the product," she said. "We're willing to move forward without sales."

The design of the project — which has not yet been named — sets the towers back from the street. After passing a manned guardhouse, residents will drive up an ascending path to the buildings that will be connected by a centralized service area where they can leave their cars with a valet.

To allay potential concerns from nearby residents, Mirski said, the buildings were designed so their shadows won't be cast on the single-family neighborhoods.

The buildings are also oriented so their narrowest sides are exposed to the western sun, which is expected to reduce energy costs.

An 18,000-square-foot amenity building — closed to the public — will include a fitness center and spa. Swimming pools will be throughout the property.

Houston-based Ziegler Cooper is the project architect, and the developer is seeking national certification for environmentally friendly buildings.

Mirski expects the project to appeal to empty nesters, including residents of the adjacent neighborhoods who want to downsize and minimize required maintenance of their homes without sacrificing design or the feeling of being in a natural environment.

Almost 2 acres are being reserved for open space as an environmental buffer between the site and the neighbor- hoods.

Maintenance fees will be comparable to other high-end buildings.

The project is unusual for Houston because its acreage is so substantial for a high-rise development, said David Joachim of International Realty Concepts, who is familiar with the plan.

"There's never been anything like it here because of the grounds," he said. "And it's going to have amenities like a country club would."

Boymelgreen has developed residential, mixed-use and retail properties in New York, Toronto, Las Vegas and Miami. The company has developed more than 5 million square feet of space in New York City alone.

When it entered the Houston market, its development plans included more than the San Felipe project.

The company owns about 9 acres near Richmond and Post Oak that it acquired for $34 million. The land is now under contract to another buyer for $57.5 million

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:27 PM
FYHA

A graphic depicting the location of the condos in the above story, from today's paper...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:07 PM

This project sounds horrible. Guarded access huts, removed from the street, and located literally right on top of Buffalo Bayou and the River Bend neighborhood. I hope this doesn't make it out of the ground. I can't wait to hear what the Piney Point/River Bend folks are going to think of this one!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
This project sounds horrible. Guarded access huts, removed from the street, and located literally right on top of Buffalo Bayou and the River Bend neighborhood.
Sounds like Bayou Bend. But that one turned out well.

At least we don't have to guess at the mysterious Boymelgreen project.

On another note, Emirates begins air service.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
and that was probably when all of Houston drove North to escape Rita!!
Well, all but 24 of them came back...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjhe View Post
Apparently the Big announcement I enquired about on last week was the Medical Center announcing the addition of 30,000 new jobs over the next 7 years, which will include 7 Billion Dollars of investment.
I think some of that has already been announced - by the usual players - Hermann, Methodist, BCM, etc. If this is above and beyond the $2 billion plus we've already heard about, that is some major expansion. It's like they're building an airport in the Persian Gulf, right in the middle of the Medical Center.

Those 30,000 jobs work out to about 4,000 a year. Factor in the usual multiplier, and that's a nice base for some solid job growth over the next decade.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:12 AM
FYHA

Memorial Hermann Memorial City Tower progress- a few I've taken over the past week

You'll notice that the cranes are somewhat stuck in the clouds in the last photo. Similar situation elsewhere around town today, as evidenced by my bonus photo...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 9:49 AM

Heres another bonus, also from yesterday (with low cloud cover):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations