HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

56 Leonard Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Opinions are like assholes.. everybody has one. If Rise To The Top thinks it's shit... you add your own punchline here.
No need. This will easily be in the top 10 New York skyscrapers built in the last decade. The sculpture at the base is a nice touch. There should be more of this in New York. It's a city of skyscrapers, they should be celebrated.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 2:12 PM

So very true NYguy. Variations and unique designs such as this, is what makes the city's skyline so much more interesting. There is nothing like this in this city.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:42 PM

Talk over at WNY is that work over here has stopped.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 7:07 PM

I walked by today and it looks halted. No one on site, everything quiet.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

NO, it's coming down!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 3:52 AM

I must admit, I just can't bring myself to like this thing. It seems, for a lack of better words, "chaotic" to me. I can see why you guys love it, but it's just not my favorite design.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScraperCity View Post
I must admit, I just can't bring myself to like this thing. It seems, for a lack of better words, "chaotic" to me. I can see why you guys love it, but it's just not my favorite design.

You're forgiven...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Talk over at WNY is that work over here has stopped.
Wouldn't be surprising.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

From total annihilation...

You can see the library rising next to the site.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 11:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/12/2..._deep_coma.php

Is 56 Leonard Slipping Into a Deep Coma?

Monday, December 22, 2008, by Pete

Can it be true that 56 Leonard Street is being put on ice? The uber-luxe 57-story Tribeca condo project from Herzog & de Meuron opened a schnazzy show room this fall. By mid-November the foundation had been poured. But now the word from the construction gang at the very busy and newly-glassed New York Law School Library project going up next door at 40 Leonard Street is that the fantastical stack of glassy condos, while not yet dead, has been "shut down," and that the project will not be revived until either "March 2009" or "sometime in 2010." Further confirmation of the near-death notice comes from a little bird over at StreetEasy. There the song is somewhat sadder, claiming that KSW, a mechanical services company out of Long Island City, has been "directed not to perform any further work on the 56 Leonard Street Project ... they had been notified by the owner that the Project has been placed on hold."

The library...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:58 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Damn... NYguy beat me to posting the above!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 5:14 PM

^^Very sad news.
Hopefully this thread won't end up being moved to the "never built" section.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_295/undercover.html

Jenga collapse?

Work has stopped at 56 Leonard St., where an 830-foot tower of stacked condo cubes is slated to rise.

Izak Senbahar, principal at the Alexico Group, said workers finished the foundation about a month ago and are pausing before moving onto the aboveground construction. In the meantime, Con Edison is doing underground work, which will take until the end of January.

But Senbahar also needs to get the last chunk of the $600 million project’s construction financing before work can move forward. The bank Eurohypo is supposed to provide it, and Senbahar said he is 90 percent sure it will come through in four to six weeks.
If the money takes any longer to arrive, 56 Leonard’s December 2010 opening will not happen.

Senbahar did not sound as impervious to the economic downturn as he did in September, when he said he was confident his Jenga-shaped building would attract buyers no matter the economy.

“It’s a very challenging world,” Senbahar said last week. “It’s a different world than it was three months ago… It’s never about people not having the money, but it’s a mood thing, a psychological thing as well that makes people buy.”

Senbahar said sales are in the double digits, but he admitted he’s only sold four units since the sales office opened October. Senbahar also hasn’t sold any of the 10 penthouses, which cost up to $33 million.

“There are a lot of lookers, though,” Senbahar said.

He is optimistic that the country’s mood will turn around early next year.

UnderCover also spoke to a few workers at and around the site, who first told us two weeks ago the site was at a standstill.

Across the street, a man smoking a cigarette sounded none too pleased about the tower.

“Yeah, it’s another Bloomberg special,” he said.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://downtownexpress.com/de_295/undercover.html

Jenga collapse?

Work has stopped at 56 Leonard St., where an 830-foot tower of stacked condo cubes is slated to rise.

Izak Senbahar, principal at the Alexico Group, said workers finished the foundation about a month ago and are pausing before moving onto the aboveground construction. In the meantime, Con Edison is doing underground work, which will take until the end of January.

But Senbahar also needs to get the last chunk of the $600 million project’s construction financing before work can move forward. The bank Eurohypo is supposed to provide it, and Senbahar said he is 90 percent sure it will come through in four to six weeks.
If the money takes any longer to arrive, 56 Leonard’s December 2010 opening will not happen.

Senbahar did not sound as impervious to the economic downturn as he did in September, when he said he was confident his Jenga-shaped building would attract buyers no matter the economy.

“It’s a very challenging world,” Senbahar said last week. “It’s a different world than it was three months ago… It’s never about people not having the money, but it’s a mood thing, a psychological thing as well that makes people buy.”

Senbahar said sales are in the double digits, but he admitted he’s only sold four units since the sales office opened October. Senbahar also hasn’t sold any of the 10 penthouses, which cost up to $33 million.

“There are a lot of lookers, though,” Senbahar said.

He is optimistic that the country’s mood will turn around early next year.

UnderCover also spoke to a few workers at and around the site, who first told us two weeks ago the site was at a standstill.

Across the street, a man smoking a cigarette sounded none too pleased about the tower.

“Yeah, it’s another Bloomberg special,” he said.
That article is actually pretty good and optimistic.

I feared for worse.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 4:45 AM

Dude, did you have to quote the whole article, especially when it was just right before your post?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 7:43 AM
Everywhere all at once

YSL and antinimby, I agree with both of you.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

We should know by Feb (maybe March) what kind of delay this thing will have...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Dude, did you have to quote the whole article, especially when it was just right before your post?
Yea, I did.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:00 AM

Why?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:28 AM
Charismatic Stallion

I'm confident that (like the article says) the tower will get financing. I think it's probably pretty clear to the bank that anyone who can afford a "home" here already has the money regardless of market conditions. (Units start at 3.5 million [!] for a 2 bedroom on the lower floors and go up to $33 million.)

Semi-unrelated: Here's the website for anyone who's interested and can't use Google: http://56leonardtribeca.com/#/intro

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive