HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 1:53 PM

Kelowna's Monaco Development

I know Kelowna has it's own development thread but this development in particular I'm interested in.

I grew up in kelowna, born and raised. I lived there until I was 20 years old and moved to vancouver since then. I still try and keep up to date with projects in my growing sprawly BC metropolis of 200 thousand people but I find it often difficult to find information on the projects often approved by council or started/stalled due to economical reasons.

This one development peaks my interest as it's a very large twin building complex, it puts kelowna on the map and shows the city is serious about trying to grow it's downtown core.

When I left the city in 2012 the ellis corridor near where this will be built was already starting to feel like a large city corridor. The madison was there, they built a bunch of small 4 story condo developments with commercial at the bottom, they built this 12 story concrete building (don't know the name but it's really ugly), and the Kelowna public library, law courts, and the grand hotel were all visible. Kelowna's tallest towers by the lake (the dolphins, discovery point, skye at waterscapes) were all close by that the downtown core of the city was starting to actually feel city like.

Though many developments have stalled and some proposals have been approved but had nothing actually happen in terms of development, I still think Kelowna is well on track to becoming BC's third largest metropolis with a bit more going for it than just tourism and agriculture.

A few tech firms have opened up there and the downtown is growing, I heard there is plans to build an interior health tower to put all of interior healths operations in one building. If kelowna plays it's cards right it will become the premier city of the interior, the interiors lower mainland (though much smaller).

Anyways if you hear about any news on this development be sure to post it here, I wonder if they have started construction at all yet.

Plans for the Monaco building have evolved quite a bit since they were initially introduced to Kelowna City Council. In their first incarnation, both towers were proposed to consist of condos, and green space was not a featured amenity.

But, says Tyler Dueck of Premier Pacific Group, “The City of Kelowna planning department worked with us extensively to create something that fits into the vision of Kelowna's future.

“We changed one tower into a residential hotel. This allowed us to shrink the footprint and create a slender profile tower. Keeping the space also allowed us to retain the amenities we offered to the project.

“We increased the size of the terrace space to over a half acre, added a second pool and hot tub, and also the spacing between the towers. What we now have is a huge park space overlooking the lake and downtown.”

Plans for the commercial suites on the Monaco’s ground floor have been moving forward, too.

“Several major players in BC's restaurant industry are interested in setting up shop in our two restaurant spaces,” Dueck said. “Likewise, the commercial/retail space is getting a lot of interest from all types of businesses – from spa salons, clothing boutiques, etc.

“Since the launch of www.themonacokelowna.com and its registration list we have been extremely happy with the level of serious interest in the project. With all that the location has to offer and the amenities within the building, the Monaco has seen a great deal of interest from not just the local community but around the country.”

Construction on the Monaco is expected to begin in October of this year and to be completed by late 2015. The finished product will offer 289 condos and apartment hotel suites between the two towers, along with four levels of office and retail space. One tower is expected to top out at 30 storeys, while the other will reach for the sky at 22.

http://www.welcometokelowna.com/news/news/Local_News/13/07/22/Kelowna_s_Monaco_Towers_Evolving_Towards_Scenic_Design"]Kelowna's Monaco Towers Evolving Towards Scenic Design

Plans for the Monaco building have evolved quite a bit since they were initially introduced to Kelowna City Council. In their first incarnation, both towers were proposed to consist of condos, and green space was not a featured amenity.

But, says Tyler Dueck of Premier Pacific Group, “The City of Kelowna planning department worked with us extensively to create something that fits into the vision of Kelowna's future.

“We changed one tower into a residential hotel. This allowed us to shrink the footprint and create a slender profile tower. Keeping the space also allowed us to retain the amenities we offered to the project.

“We increased the size of the terrace space to over a half acre, added a second pool and hot tub, and also the spacing between the towers. What we now have is a huge park space overlooking the lake and downtown.”

Plans for the commercial suites on the Monaco’s ground floor have been moving forward, too.

“Several major players in BC's restaurant industry are interested in setting up shop in our two restaurant spaces,” Dueck said. “Likewise, the commercial/retail space is getting a lot of interest from all types of businesses – from spa salons, clothing boutiques, etc.

“Since the launch of www.themonacokelowna.com and its registration list we have been extremely happy with the level of serious interest in the project. With all that the location has to offer and the amenities within the building, the Monaco has seen a great deal of interest from not just the local community but around the country.”

Construction on the Monaco is expected to begin in October of this year and to be completed by late 2015. The finished product will offer 289 condos and apartment hotel suites between the two towers, along with four levels of office and retail space. One tower is expected to top out at 30 storeys, while the other will reach for the sky at 22.

http://www.welcometokelowna.com/news..._Scenic_Design

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 8:30 AM

Love Kelowna (and that says a lot coming from a Kamloops boy) and cannot wait to see this things rise. It will change the skyline so much. Stoked!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 4:14 PM

I've heard very bad things about the future of this development, but I will wait to confirm them before I post them here.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo Fan View Post
I've heard very bad things about the future of this development, but I will wait to confirm them before I post them here.
Any updates thus far?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Any updates thus far?

Think this article adequately describes the circumstances:

Quote:

Phantom highrises dot Kelowna's skyline

Monaco – Two towers, of 22 and 30 storeys, were approved for the north-west corner of Doyle Avenue and St. Paul Street in early 2013. However, the company has still not posted a landscaping bond or provided a required payment for parking considerations. These are normally routine matters.

Last year, company officials said construction could start in the fall. This year, they've said the same thing.

Planners are likely to keep the file open until April 2015, Smith said.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...a4bcf6878.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia