HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:01 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I'm worried about that wood siding, tho. The rain screen at the PCC technology building has been rotting, and is only about 10 years old.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:32 PM

This article is from December, but I didn't see it at the time:

Quote:
Rebooting an Ugly PSU Building with Euro Style
World-renowned German architect Stefan Behnisch talks Portland and why dictators don’t necessarily build better.

Published Dec 1, 2014, 8:00am
By Randy Gragg

When it comes to architecture, Portland usually buys local. But late last year Portland State University hired Germany’s Stefan Behnisch to design its new School of Business Administration. His brief: expand the school’s current digs—a dreary, brutalist-lite 1970s fort—into a fitting home for the largest business school in the state, next to the region’s busiest transit hub. (Construction begins next July.) A pioneer in the quest for more sustainable buildings, the 57-year-old Stuttgart native is known for his mix of technology, humanism, and pragmatism, in buildings ranging from the Institute for Forestry and Nature Research in the Netherlands to a colorful parking garage in Santa Monica. We spoke with him on a recent visit.

What’s your impression of Portland?
I like the city, but whenever I am here I always hear, “Oh, we don’t need outsiders.” I disagree. In Bavaria, a lot of our buildings are built by international architects. It puts us in a different league.
...continues at Portland Monthly.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This article is from December, but I didn't see it at the time:

...continues at Portland Monthly.
Hooray if this gets built! PSU is home to some of the most brutal buildings in the city. All you need to do is look across Montgomery at the USB building. Possibly the worst building in the downtown core.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Architecture students design public parklet, funds underway

WRITTEN BY RACHEL POWERS | JANUARY 19, 2015

Michael Coon is a PSU School of Architecture graduate and the lead student designer for the parklet project. Coon created this rendition of the SoMa Parklet on March 9, 2014. Photo illustration courtesy of Michael Coon
Portland State architecture students are developing Portland’s first public parklet.

Under the guidance of Assistant Professor of Architecture B.D. Wortham-Galvin, the tiny park will be built in the spring of 2015 if enough funds are raised. The South of Market (SoMa) Parklet Project has raised over $10,000 according to their official crowdfunding campaign page.

Situated on 4th Avenue right outside the food cart pod, the project will have a variety of seating using sustainable materials, landscaping and plants.
...continues at the PSU Vanguard.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 AM

The seating should be great news for the food carts. I can't count the number of times I've decided to eat somewhere else because there was nowhere nearby to sit down and relax with a burrito.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
LEARNING FOR THE FUTURE

Portland State University’s urban campus, highlighting the Park Blocks, Montgomery Street, and the proposed renovation and expansion of the School of Business Administration (Behnisch Architekten/SRG)

Portland State University has transformed dramatically over the last two decades, what was once the State of Oregon’s third largest university has now leapfrogged both Oregon State University and University of Oregon in student enrollment. The school’s existing classroom space, student housing, and other facilities have been strained by this growth, and PSU’s downtown location makes expansion both difficult and costly. THA Architecture’s Urban Center and Plaza, completed in 2000, is one of the urban school’s most dramatic additions, not necessarily the great architecture of the building, but the influence the project has had on the entire campus itself. Previously, PSU was naturally focused toward the Park Blocks, usurping the city-owned parkway in the absence of a traditional Jeffersonian green space, but the addition of the Urban Plaza has reoriented the entire school further to the east to its actual geographic center. This new urban node is now framed by Yost Grube Hall’s Recreation Center and by the intersection of Trimet’s light rail extension and Portland Streetcar lines. Due to this reorientation, Mongomery Street has become the cross-Park Blocks axis of the campus, stretching from the athletic fields to the Urban Plaza and beyond to the Lawrence Halprin fountains and pedestrian network. Future plans already call for Montgomery to be completely pedestrianized, envisioned as the central ‘green’ promenade, showcasing the school’s dedication to sustainability.
...continues at Places over Time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:44 PM

The PSU Pavilion project has secured enough funds now, due to a commitment from OHSU of $7.5 million, to move ahead to construction. Construction is slated to start Jan. 2016.

http://www.pdx.edu/insidepsu/new-viking-pavilion

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
The PSU Pavilion project has secured enough funds now, due to a commitment from OHSU of $7.5 million, to move ahead to construction. Construction is slated to start Jan. 2016.

http://www.pdx.edu/insidepsu/new-viking-pavilion
That is awesome news for the university, with all the improvements they have made to this college, it is long overdue to get an arena like this.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:14 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing [PDF] for the School of Business Administration.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 8:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Notice of a Public Hearing [PDF] for the School of Business Administration.
I am really liking this new building/renovation. It is gonna be a great addition to the campus.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 1:07 AM

Staff report for School of business administration, which recommends denial.

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....42259&a=530481

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
University project designs not set yet

Two SRG Partnership projects designed for university clients will need a few tweaks to gain city approval.
...continues at the DJC ($).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 6:44 AM

I don't recall seeing this in the press, but the State of Oregon has allocated $60 million of the $70 million PSU needs for a major renovation of Neuberger Hall. From the PSU 2015-2017 Capital Project Construction Request [PDF]:

Quote:
Option 1 is a $70 million project to eliminate all life safety issues, major system needs, and deferred maintenance in the building. Significant structural improvements are included in this option as well as improvements to make the entire building accessible to all students, faculty, and staff. Classrooms, offices, and the exterior envelope of the building are modernized to meet the needs of PSU’s students and reduce operational costs. Replacement of the building façade and creation of a new entrance will create a more functional and welcoming “front door” for incoming PSU students. A modernized film and video studio will support students training to join the state’s growing film industry. The functionality of the interior space of the building is improved to create room for student centers at the heart of campus that are focused on the unique needs of transfer and underrepresented students. Since 2010, Hispanic enrollment at PSU has grown 35% and PSU has significantly more transfer students than any other Oregon university. PSU needs additional space and resources to focus on the unique needs of these two student populations.
The State also allocated money for the university buy the land underneath the University Center Building and for them to buy the Broadway Housing building, which they currently lease. Both will save considerable amounts of money in ongoing lease payments, but don't result in any immediate construction projects.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:19 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow, so both Neuberger Hall and Smith will eventually be redone. They only need to renovate Cramer Hall next and that should about do it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 6:13 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Wow, so both Neuberger Hall and Smith will eventually be redone. They only need to renovate Cramer Hall next and that should about do it.
Makes me just a little bit jealous, PSU is turning into such a great university in the city and the Arch program has taken some serious leaps and bounds since getting a grad program, kind of makes me wish I was 25, bright eyed, and wanting to stay up all night working on architecture models.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:13 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the University Place Hotel's future. I had read up on charettes that happened previously, looking into development options beyond the current use. Then, at an AARP conference, there was additional mention of a potential housing community there. I have actually called the Hotel to ask, for academic reasons and naturally there has been little to no comment and stiff arming. No one wants to talk.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbyDesign View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the University Place Hotel's future. I had read up on charettes that happened previously, looking into development options beyond the current use. Then, at an AARP conference, there was additional mention of a potential housing community there. I have actually called the Hotel to ask, for academic reasons and naturally there has been little to no comment and stiff arming. No one wants to talk.
Best I can find quickly:

https://www.pdx.edu/planning-sustain...pment-strategy

It appears to be still in the planning stage. I couldn't find anything significantly newer with an actual plan.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:

Applicant presentation [PDF -14MB] for the School of Business Administration. Wasn't approved yesterday, but from listening to the last couple minutes of the audio it sounds like they will be back in just a couple weeks with minor revisions.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 3:19 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland