HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | (Staten Island) New York Wheel | 625 FT

EDIT *** Renderings released September 27, 2012

With the announcement, the City released these renderings of the NY Wheel and the outlet center...

nycmayorsoffice

There will also be a rooftop park at the New York Wheel...

The outlet center will have rooftop park space as well...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...434946074.html

Ferris Wheel Eyed for Ferry Terminal

By ELIOT BROWN
June 25, 2012

Quote:
Tourists taking in the sites of New York Harbor on the Staten Island ferry may get a new reason to board the boat. The Bloomberg administration is in advanced talks with an investment group seeking to build a giant Ferris wheel akin to the London Eye near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, according to multiple people briefed on the details of the proposal.

The plan for the structure would make it the tallest "observation wheel" in the world, lifting visitors roughly 600 feet, the people said. By comparison, the London Eye, the popular 12-year-old tourist attraction on the South Bank near Parliament, is 443 feet tall, while Deno's Wonder Wheel at Coney Island stands 150 feet high.

Each year, the London site attracts about 3.5 million visitors who sit in large, glass-enclosed pods that offer panoramic views of London. The investor group, Plaza Capital Group Management, responded to an August 2011 request for bids from New York City's Economic Development Corp. to develop two parking lots next to the terminal and on both sides of the Staten Island Yankees stadium. Plaza plans to develop the site furthest from the ferry terminal to the northwest, the people briefed on the proposal said. Still, no deal has been reached, and a spokesman for the EDC, Benjamin Branham, said that the agency is "in negotiations with multiple respondents" for the two sites. Any development would need approval from the City Council.

While further details about the proposal weren't available, Plaza appears to be trying to tap into the stream of tourists who ride the ferry from Lower Manhattan to Staten Island every day for a free harbor ride that offers views of the Statue of Liberty and the Lower Manhattan skyline. But once they land, they find little reason to stay.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ficials_o.html

Staten Island officials on board for the Ferris wheel ride

June 26, 2012
By Jillian Jorgensen

Quote:
The plan for a giant Ferris wheel on city-owned property on the North Shore would require City Council approval -- and at least two of the borough's councilmembers are enthusiastic about the project. "My initial reaction is that this project is unique and quirky enough to actually get people off the ferry and to Staten Island," Councilman James Oddo (R-Mid-Island) said.

For years, Oddo said, people have been asking how to get the 2 million tourists who ride the ferry annually to spend some time in the borough, instead of just turning right back for Manhattan.

"I guess the word is funny, that after all the thinking and all the 'how do we do it?', a Ferris wheel is the answer," Oddo said. He said in addition to luring tourists -- especially those from Europe, who typically spend a good deal of money during their trips to the Big Apple -- the wheel could become Staten Island's answer to the Cyclone in Coney Island. "I think it's got a chance to really become iconic," Oddo said.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...est_ferri.html

Quote:
The two sites are currently used as parking lots for the Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George, and the St. George Ferry Terminal. But baseball lovers and ferry commuters, fear not: The RFEI calls for all publicly available parking to be replaced during the development, and for new parking to be added, if necessary.

The parcel where the Ferris wheel is being considered is located between the Postcards Memorial and Jersey Street. The other parcel put out for an RFEI, is closer to the ferry terminal, located between it and the ballpark. For that site, upscale shopping outlets have been proposed by another company, and would be built on a platform above a parking lot, according to the source. The towering wheel proposed for the waterfront would be designed in the same vein as giants like the London Eye, 443 feet tall, and the Singapore Flyer, which is the tallest at 541 feet. Both are very popular tourist attractions.

The London Eye (or the EDF Energy London Eye, as it’s currently named for a corporate sponsor) is located on the banks of the Thames River, and boasts 32 air-conditioned passenger capsules, each of which can carry 25 people. A trip around the wheel takes about 30 minutes, and the wheel doesn’t stop — riders step into the gondolas as they move, like a ski lift. Capsules are available to rent for private parties — including a wedding package that allows the bride, groom and 19 guests to take two consecutive rides and pop a bottle of champagne on the way down. Standard adult tickets are 15 pounds sterling (around $23). If you want to skip the lines — and aren’t sure what day you want to visit — a priority boarding flexible ticket costs 31.50 pounds (approximately $49). Those who want a longer ride and a drink can opt for the 40 Pound Vinopolis Wine Tasting Experience ($62) — an hourlong ride that features five wine tastings.

The Singapore Flyer takes the gourmet Ferris wheel experience even further, offering full butler sky dining for $299 a couple — that pays for two rotations, or about an hourlong ride; and four courses of food with dessert, coffee and tea served in the capsule. The current menu offers a chicken, fish, lamb and vegetarian option for the main courses, and an Oreo cheesecake for dessert. Wine pairings cost extra.

Both of those wheels attract millions of tourists annually — the London Eye carries 3.5 million visitors a year. The wheel here could have a built-in audience: The Staten Island Ferry carries 2 million tourists annually, most of whom get back on the boat without spending any time in the borough.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:32 PM

This actually sounds pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I was thinking more of a lighthouse for Staten Island as its signature landmark with a Ferris Wheel in Coney Island to be one of Brooklyn's symbols. But this is good too. They should make this the tallest ferris wheel in the world to bring back the title to the country this invention originated from.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

I saw the article for this on silive last night and I basically was all

The reason I love this idea...aside from every reason why I'd love for my home borough to steal some of the spotlight off the other four boroughs...is that few people realize the dynamic setting of St. George (the neighborhood around the ferry terminal). The view is quite amazing from the ground...let alone from 600 feet in the air...and it's very sweeping. You can see all the way from Bayonne to Coney Island, absolutely everything fronting New York Harbor, and there is a great promenade that invites strolling and taking in the view. It's greatest lack is substantial retail and restaurants that people can recreate within after they stroll the neighborhood.

In addition, St. George is on very hilly terrain, pecked all over with beautiful old mansions and San Franciscan streetscapes (two of Staten Island's three historic districts are within 20 minutes of the terminal). This from the air would also be an unprecedented view. It is the sort of setting that would frame the wheel itself beautifully, and provide stunning views 360 degrees around.

My fingers are crossed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 3:57 PM

This may be off topic a bit but why does it look like one part of the area has been under construction for a while?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

I hope they build it for the views alone...

czelticgirl

NYC Comets

InSapphoWeTrust

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
World Machine

Very cool idea - great for Staten Island!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
In addition, St. George is on very hilly terrain, pecked all over with beautiful old mansions and San Franciscan streetscapes (two of Staten Island's three historic districts are within 20 minutes of the terminal). This from the air would also be an unprecedented view. It is the sort of setting that would frame the wheel itself beautifully, and provide stunning views 360 degrees around.

My fingers are crossed.
The ferris wheel idea is a great one but I seriously think you're pushing it. Pecked all over with beautiful old mansions? San Franciscan streetscapes? I just don't see it. Most of what I saw last time I was in St. George was run down, crappy looking buildings with hardly any architectural significance. Theres room for development, that's the good part. This can be the start of something good for "downtown".

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:17 AM
New Yorker for life

The proposed site for this project would be the lot west of the stadium (north lot)...

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/08/1...rant-downtown/

The landscape in general does change in Staten Island....

Betty Blade

Louis de Feo

But I'm sure the views over the harbor would be great.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:59 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
The ferris wheel idea is a great one but I seriously think you're pushing it. Pecked all over with beautiful old mansions? San Franciscan streetscapes? I just don't see it. Most of what I saw last time I was in St. George was run down, crappy looking buildings with hardly any architectural significance. Theres room for development, that's the good part. This can be the start of something good for "downtown".
The core of St. George is very banal and governmental, this I grant you. It's the neighborhoods just beyond that I'm talking about...Stapleton Heights, Van Duzer Street and St. Pauls Avenue, Fort Hill, Westervelt Avenue and New Brighton, Henderson Avenue...I've been all over this island so many times, I promise they're there, just hidden. Gives a new meaning to the term "hidden gems" ...the problem with many of those areas now is that they are still somewhat poverty stricken, like Brownstone Brooklyn before it was discovered by the hipsters and yuppies.

What is great about the whole of greater Downtown SI, as you said, is that this exceptional old housing stock surrounds the somewhat barren core, which is ripe for development (and was recently rezoned for taller, thin residential and mixed-used towers by the way). There's an opportunity for a great and unique mix of land uses and cityscapes that will create a district unlike any other in New York. Maybe it sounds like I'm overselling it, but needless to say, I've been waiting to SI to get its moment in the spotlight for a while.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 8:59 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...sland_fer.html

Bloomberg on Staten Island Ferris wheel: 'This would be great'

June 29, 2012
By Tom Wrobleski/Staten Island Advance Staten Island Advance

Quote:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg is along for the ride. On his radio show today, Bloomberg climbed on board with plans to build the world's biggest Ferris wheel on the North Shore of Staten Island. "This would be great," Bloomberg said during his weekly WOR Radio program with host John Gambling. "It sounds like a good idea." Said Bloomberg, "Hopefully, it gets done."

The city Economic Development Corp. is in negotiations to build the 600-foot Ferris wheel, which will look to replicate the success of the London Eye and the Singapore Flyer as top world-class tourist attractions. Island and city officials for years have struggled with finding a way to draw some of the two million annual visitors off the Staten Island Ferry and keep them spending time and money in the borough.

The Ferris wheel, which would rise just north of the Richmond Country Bank Ballpark and which for now is known as The New York Wheel, could be the answer.

"It's going to be done with private money," Bloomberg said on the radio. "There's land there for it. The one in London is phenomenally successful." Bloomberg has long touted the charms of the free ferry and the St. George waterfront. "(The) price is right and at night it's very romantic and that sort of thing," Bloomberg said. "There is a small minor league baseball stadium there ... and that's nice."

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

A little more info on the proposal...

http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind..._proposed.html

Mammoth Ferris wheel proposed for Staten Island sets pulses racing

June 27, 2012
By Jillian Jorgensen/Staten Island Advance Staten Island Advance

Quote:
Plans for the New York Wheel show a stunning spectacle on the edge of Staten Island — and several borough elected officials say they’re on board for the ride. That’s an hour-and-twenty-minute ride, for a full rotation on the Ferris wheel at least.

The New York City Economic Development Corporation, which owns the parcel just to the north of the Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George, is “very close” to a deal with investors interested in building the massive wheel, said Borough President James Molinaro, who expects an agreement in principle next month. From there, he said, he hopes zoning issues, City Council and agency approval can be ironed out by November 2013.

“They could actually start construction in 2014, and hopefully by Valentine’s Day on 2015 everybody could [go] up and propose to their sweethearts,” Molinaro said.

Molinaro said the wheel, not far from the Postcards Memorial and titled The New York Wheel in planning documents obtained by the Advance, would be between 600 and 635 feet — bigger than the record-holding, 541-foot Singapore Flyer. Riders would be inside glass capsules that could hold 35 people, and the wheel would rotate so slowly it won’t stop — people will step on as it passes through a building beneath the wheel.

It would be modeled on other giant observation wheels like the London Eye, which draws 3.5 million people annually. “They have cocktail parties on it. They have weddings on it,” Molinaro said. But the Ferris wheel on Staten Island would have one thing Singapore and London don’t — a built-in audience being shipped in daily. “I have 2 million tourists that come and ride the Staten Island Ferry every year. Just a little push and they’re here,” the borough president said.

Molinaro said he has yet to hear any opposition to the project — and rebuffed concerns about the wheel’s effect on householders’ harbor views. “It’s a wheel; it’s a hollow wheel,” he noted.

The planning documents list Plaza Capital Management, LLC as investors; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill as project architect, Distributed Sun, LLC, as an alternative energy provider, and says the Cornell University Atkinson Center for Sustainability is in discussions to be an alternative energy exhibitor.

Conceptual drawings show a retail terminal and exhibition hall behind the wheel, and next to it, a parking garage with 720 parking spaces and space for as many as 40 buses. A second EDC parcel, to the south of the ballpark, is slated to be turned into upscale retail shops, called St. George Station in the plans. The waterfront retail development would sit on a three-level car garage for another 1,550 cars. Molinaro said that between the outlets and the wheel, he expects a hotel to crop up in the area. That would allow folks to spend more time in the borough. “We spent 50 years being the borough with the largest dump in the world — it’s only fair that we have the largest Ferris wheel,” Molinaro said.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:33 AM

I like the idea of this generally, but it seems like a bit of an odd place for an observation wheel. It seems like this would give you glorious views of the New Jersey Container Port. I think Governor's Island or Roosevelt Island would give more dramatic views of the city... but that's just my opinion. And yes, I've been to Staten Island many times, including games at the Staten Island Yankees ballpark (which is pretty cool).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 3:15 AM

If this was built it would be the tallest structure in Staten Island and the tallest Ferris Wheel in the world.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
It seems like this would give you glorious views of the New Jersey Container Port.
The port is largely on the other side of Newark bay, but yes, that should also be viewable in all its glory. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to see as much on the New York harbor side, but as much of the harbor - working and otherwise - should be there for the viewing. Too often people think of New York as all skyscraper canyons, and that's not the case at all. The harbor is what made the City, and I'm glad the City has turned is vision to the waterfronts, all around town.

Quote:
I think Governor's Island or Roosevelt Island would give more dramatic views of the city...
If you mean views of Manhattan, then yeah, the closer the better. But again, Manhattan is just a slice of the Big Apple. There are multiple observation decks for people who just want to look at the skyscrapers. The City has two entirely different visions for both Roosevelt and Governors Islands though, and neither involve creating tourists destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
If this was built it would be the tallest structure in Staten Island and the tallest Ferris Wheel in the world.

No doubt someone will come along to build a larger one, but this would be pretty large as it is. It will be as large and visible as the towers of the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, a distinct SI landmark, another "gateway" of the harbor.

A look at some other "wheels" around the world...
http://kineticcarnival.blogspot.com/...posed-for.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 6:14 PM

That picture of the amount of land available for development shows that it is a good idea to build a giant amusement park to go with the Ferris Wheel and the Stadium. It would also be a good idea to expand the terminal a bit with a mall, and to build a skyscraper on top of it to encourage tourists to visit Staten Island and more.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 6:53 PM

here is the approximate view when towards the harbor from the top of the wheel (it's google earth, of course it won't be the same)

here's whats there now

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
That picture of the amount of land available for development shows that it is a good idea to build a giant amusement park to go with the Ferris Wheel and the Stadium. It would also be a good idea to expand the terminal a bit with a mall, and to build a skyscraper on top of it to encourage tourists to visit Staten Island and more.
It's not as large as it seems. It's basically a parking lot. But yeah, there are plans for more retail.

Quote:
Conceptual drawings show a retail terminal and exhibition hall behind the wheel, and next to it, a parking garage with 720 parking spaces and space for as many as 40 buses. 

A second EDC parcel, to the south of the ballpark, is slated to be turned into upscale retail shops, called St. George Station in the plans. The waterfront retail development would sit on a three-level car garage for another 1,550 cars.

Meanwhile, Seattle's Great Wheel is making a debut...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86100O20120702

Seattle's new landmark Great Wheel opening on waterfront

By Laura L. Myers
Jul 2, 2012

Quote:
The towering, white "Great Wheel" features 42 enclosed gondolas with space for up to 252 passengers total. The 175-foot-tall (53-metre-tall) wheel cost $20 million and was constructed as part of a private-sector initiative to revitalize Seattle's waterfront. While the 212-foot-high (66-metre-high) Texas Star is taller, it only operates during the annual State Fair of Texas in Dallas.

Seattle's new wheel "is like a baby London Eye," said 32-year-old co-owner Kyle Griffith, referring to London's famed 443-foot-high (135-meter-high) wheel along the Thames River. The London Eye is Europe's tallest Ferris wheel. The tallest in the world, Singapore's 541-foot (165-metre) Singapore Flyer, is more than twice as high as Seattle's newest attraction.

The Great Wheel was designed to draw visitors to the Pacific Northwest city's gritty waterfront, often framed by fog and drizzle, amid worries that a traffic-clogging construction project underway nearby would keep tourists away.

Globally, high-tech wheel rides are undergoing a resurgence after being out of vogue for 30 years, analyst Dennis Speigel, president of Ohio-based International Theme Park Services Inc, told Reuters. "Wheels are now the 'icon du jour,'" Speigel said. On Staten Island, New York, plans are in the works for a 600-foot-tall (183-metre-tall) "observation wheel" to become the world's tallest.

Two new wheels also are under discussion in Las Vegas, Speigel said. Developers broke ground on one, a 500-foot-tall (152-metre-tall) wheel in March 2011 across from the Mandalay Bay resort and casino. Another opened in South Carolina's Myrtle Beach last year. "Overseas, they're all getting taller and taller. In the next 10 years we'll see a 1,000-foot-high (300-metre-high) wheel," Speigel said.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's not as large as it seems. It's basically a parking lot. But yeah, there are plans for more retail.
I should have looked at it on street view. It is too small, but they are good sites for skyscrapers it seems. If the Ferris Wheel takes only a small portion of land then it is possible to build at least three skyscrapers. One on the north site, one on the south site, and one on the Terminal building. It's also possible to build another skyscraper on an empty parcel of land next to Staten Island's Sheriff Office, and on one next to the St. George School. I see a lot of potential development here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects