HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
Here is the best scenario: Have one major airport in Fredericton close the other two in Moncton and Saint John. Fredericton is fairly equal driving distance from both cities and easily accessible from the northern part of the province. That would also give Moncton residents the option of Halifax that is a couple of hours away. We really only need one airport here in the province. I almost forgot. If the residents of Moncton didn't feel that was enough options then they could also cross over to Charlottown and use their airport which is roughly an hour away give or take.
This is such a ridiculous notion. Every so often it comes up in this thread. Itll never happen and it doesnt need to happen. It wont change anything with regards to services. Can we just stop with this nonsense already lol.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
This is such a ridiculous notion. Every so often it comes up in this thread. Itll never happen and it doesnt need to happen. It wont change anything with regards to services. Can we just stop with this nonsense already lol.
I agree.

For better or for worse, I think we are stuck with the three airport model for NB for the foreseeable future.

A centralized airport in Sussex might seem superficially attractive, but would just make the airport equally inconvenient for all three cities, likely with no improvement in terms of the number of available destinations.

Having an airport is a major benefit to each of the three cities in terms of increasing their attractiveness to potential investors.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:22 PM

Angry RR Drummer

Unfortunately the big heads and big egos made the grand decision to go with several NB airports years ago without much forward thinking. Fast forward to 2020 and beyond where we are stuck with what we got. Barring a major government intervention we will remain with the main 3 airports in Fredericton, Moncton, & Saint John. Thank our glorious predecessors.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Unfortunately the big heads and big egos made the grand decision to go with several NB airports years ago without much forward thinking. Fast forward to 2020 and beyond where we are stuck with what we got. Barring a major government intervention we will remain with the main 3 airports in Fredericton, Moncton, & Saint John. Thank our glorious predecessors.
Not sure it had so much to do with big egos and more to do with three mid sized Canadian cities all of which should and could maintain air services. Most cites of any size have an airport and I would sooner have one near to each city than plopped in the middle of nowhere. If the three cities were say 60 kms from eachother the central airport idea may work but as is they are too far apart. Some point to Halifax as what NB should have done but we have different geography, and not one central corridor with one major city.

I like the idea of an airport that most in a city don't have to drive long distances to. I used to complain everytime I had to go to the Stanfield airport when living in Halifax. It's no small distance, and with traffic yuck. The idea of Sussex being our one airport might open up a few more routes (probably not as many as we would like) but it would be a real drag to get to and from any of the cities it's serves. Might help out the Bathurst airport, as fewer would be willing to make the increased drive.

So status quo gets my vote.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 12:15 AM

To come to the age old arguments about the airport situation in the province. When I analyze the traffic that the four airports get it would be logical to make the Greater Moncton international airport the focus airport for the province cause the airport has all the infrastructure that a small international airport. What I would do if I would be transport Canada would be to limit the flight out of Fredericton, Saint John and Bathurst to flights to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax(just like what the FAA treats LaGuardia in New York and Reagan National in Washington). That would leave the Moncton as the main international airport. If that would be the case maybe we could have a full time US flight out of Moncton and possibly US Customs out of Moncton offering the opportunity for passengers out of the province to be pre-cleared to land in the US. The Greater Moncton airport is the only airport that has a 10000 foot runway capable of handling large wide body aircrafts. So that’s my two cents on the issue.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
To come to the age old arguments about the airport situation in the province. When I analyze the traffic that the four airports get it would be logical to make the Greater Moncton international airport the focus airport for the province cause the airport has all the infrastructure that a small international airport. What I would do if I would be transport Canada would be to limit the flight out of Fredericton, Saint John and Bathurst to flights to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax(just like what the FAA treats LaGuardia in New York and Reagan National in Washington). That would leave the Moncton as the main international airport. If that would be the case maybe we could have a full time US flight out of Moncton and possibly US Customs out of Moncton offering the opportunity for passengers out of the province to be pre-cleared to land in the US. The Greater Moncton airport is the only airport that has a 10000 foot runway capable of handling large wide body aircrafts. So that’s my two cents on the issue.
What would that accomplish? Those airports already only fly to those destinations.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
To come to the age old arguments about the airport situation in the province. When I analyze the traffic that the four airports get it would be logical to make the Greater Moncton international airport the focus airport for the province cause the airport has all the infrastructure that a small international airport. What I would do if I would be transport Canada would be to limit the flight out of Fredericton, Saint John and Bathurst to flights to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax(just like what the FAA treats LaGuardia in New York and Reagan National in Washington).
Except we have a deregulated air transportation system now. Transport Canada doesn't decide where the airlines will fly — the market does. As it should be.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Years ago? Like 100 years ago? Yea back before people flew anywhere and airports were in their infancy usually consisting of a single hangar where one or two mail flights a week would stop in. Many of those airports started out as air bases and training facilities for fighter pilots during WW1.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:11 PM

Well yeah, when the NB airports were started, airplanes as a public transport option was still in its infancy. Long distance travel with hundreds of people at once, and the hub and spoke model that lead to was inconceivable. A network of smaller planes hopscotching across the land was what was originally thought of for an airline network; and an airport per city makes sense for that.

Knowing what we know now, a major regional airport at Sussex (and maybe another in the north at Bathurst or Edmondston) would probably make sense to handle NBs needs; but by the time that was realized, YFC, YSJ and YQM were all well established.

Like NB's tri-cities, the airports are sorting themselves out and adapting to the needs of their communities. We probably won't ever see any of them become major hubs like Toronto or even Halifax; but I do see Moncton getting more destinations and becoming a tertiary hub to Halifax for the region eventually; while Freddy and SJ will mainly serve their cities and (for YFC) the government especially.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new bridge between the second level in the departures area at CYQM and the soon to be opened airside bistro has been completed.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:40 AM

It appears we have a second large bird flying lobster out of YQM. Ethiopian cargo 777-200F landed this evening from JFK and was destined for Liege(LGG). Info and pictures posted on Moncton Newschasers courtesy of Scott Douglas.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:59 PM

Ethiopia has flown this route before. I actually thought they came here semi regularly at certain times of the year. You can see their plane all the way from the TCH near the Shediac Rd. interchange at times, it's so big that my first thought is that they must have added a new building at the airport.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:16 PM

Moncton airport posted this on twitter

https://twitter.com/MonctonYQM/statu...186024960?s=20

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Moncton airport posted this on twitter

https://twitter.com/MonctonYQM/statu...186024960?s=20
Here’s the text version from Facebook

In addition to our regular cargo traffic, you may be seeing more large aircraft at our airport recently due to increased charter cargo flights carrying live lobster to China for Chinese New Year. If you’re a plane spotter, be on the lookout for Boeing 747s (Kalitta Air, Atlas Air) and Boeing 777s (Ethiopian Airlines). Subject to schedule changes, some upcoming flights are:
• Tuesday, Jan. 14: Kalitta – arrival 6:30 p.m., departure 10:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 16: Kalitta – arrival 6:30 p.m., departure 10:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Jan. 18: Atlas – arrival 3:45 p.m., departure 6:15 p.m.
• Monday, Jan. 20: Ethiopian – arrival 9 p.m., departure 11:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 21: Kalitta – arrival 6:30 p.m., departure 10:30 p.m.

In the photo is an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 777 flight from last night.

Outre notre trafic habituel d’avions de fret, vous aurez peut-être remarqué que de plus gros avions ont récemment fait escale à notre aéroport. Cela s’explique par une augmentation des vols affrétés de transport de fret acheminant des homards vivants vers la Chine à l’occasion du Nouvel An chinois. Si vous êtes passionné d’aviation, gardez l’œil ouvert pour les Boeing 747 (Kalitta Air, Atlas Air) et Boeing 777 (Ethiopian Airlines). Les prochains vols, sous réserve de changements d’horaire, sont :
• Mardi 14 jan. : Kalitta – arrivée 18 h 30, départ 22 h 30
• Jeudi 16 jan. : Kalitta – arrivée 18 h 30, départ 22 h 30
• Samedi 18 jan. : Atlas – arrivée 15 h 45, départ 18 h 15
• Lundi 20 jan. : Ethiopian – arrivée 21 h, départ 23 h 30
• Mardi 21 jan. : Kalitta – arrivée 18 h 30, départ 22 h 30

Sur la photo : un Boeing 777 d’Ethiopian Airlines la nuit dernière.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:14 PM

If you look at Xtreme Cold Storage's page on Facebook, they say Ethiopian is coming here to pick up lobster due to a new partnership they have forged with Lufthansa. You can also see more pix there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:13 PM

Thanks for that info. I heard this bird take of the other night and said to myself, that's not a regular engine sound I'm used to. Checked the FlightRadar app on my phone and sure enough, the above it was!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The new bridge between the second level in the departures area at CYQM and the soon to be opened airside bistro has been completed.
Why did they bother with this? Isn't the Moncton, SJ, Fred, airports all being shut down and a new NB International Airport being opened in Sussex?

In all seriousness, is this new area open to the public or only accessible after passing through the boarding security area. Be nice to have it open to public.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
In all seriousness, is this new area open to the public or only accessible after passing through the boarding security area. Be nice to have it open to public.
Alas, it will be airside access only.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Alas, it will be airside access only.
The bar on the second floor will be Airside access only.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:24 PM

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2020/

WestJet in summer 2020 season is launching new Trans-Atlantic service from Halifax, where it’ll offer Halifax – Manchester nonstop flight. From 05JUN20, Boeing 737-700 aircraft will operate this route 4 times weekly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces