HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I can’t sign it, sorry. The city has no right to tell someone what to build on their property, as long as it fits into the zoning plan for the city. The city could make high density more attractive with different incentives, and less BS at the planning office.

This lot in question is 0.48 acres, and is 400 meters away from downtown. If the developer wants to waste prime land by constructing a 24 unit apartment, then so be it. It’s disappointing, for sure, but it would be inappropriate for the city to intervene.
I'm sorry but the city does tells developers what they can or cannot build. Ask Paul Marsden, ask Tim Banks, etc. A lot of it is pressure from the public forcing the city to ask developers to change their proposals. Look at the present fight for the development on Brackley Point Rd. I think the city likes this as it gives them a reason, a reason to alter or squelch a proposal the council dislikes.
Let the people do it!!
Even though our acceptance of expanding the developnent on University Ave to a be more core friendly, it is really wishful thinking. I know what should be there but the public would be out in full force to force the city, to force the developer, to change his proposal.
The "not in my backyard" syndrome is the biggest deterrent to development in our city; and it is in a lot of cities. That is probably the hardest issue to overcome! Pity!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
I'm sorry but the city does tells developers what they can or cannot build. Ask Paul Marsden, ask Tim Banks, etc. A lot of it is pressure from the public forcing the city to ask developers to change their proposals. Look at the present fight for the development on Brackley Point Rd. I think the city likes this as it gives them a reason, a reason to alter or squelch a proposal the council dislikes.
Let the people do it!!
Even though our acceptance of expanding the developnent on University Ave to a be more core friendly, it is really wishful thinking. I know what should be there but the public would be out in full force to force the city, to force the developer, to change his proposal.
The "not in my backyard" syndrome is the biggest deterrent to development in our city; and it is in a lot of cities. That is probably the hardest issue to overcome! Pity!
It wouldn't do any harm for the city to meet with this developer. Their goal is for higher density and therefore higher tax base. With the low vacancy rates, the market is there for something more substantial than just a 24 unit apartment building here. Anything bigger in this prime location would be an upgrade. Ultimately it all comes down to the money, and unfortunately it's likely this project will proceed just as it is.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
It wouldn't do any harm for the city to meet with this developer. Their goal is for higher density and therefore higher tax base. With the low vacancy rates, the market is there for something more substantial than just a 24 unit apartment building here. Anything bigger in this prime location would be an upgrade. Ultimately it all comes down to the money, and unfortunately it's likely this project will proceed just as it is.
I agree with all you said. Maybe we need developers that are outside the province/Maritimes. Someone from central Canada. Someone with tons of cash that the city will see as a viable investor
in the city. The new 9 floor residence at UPEI will set a new outlook I'm looking forward to that one. Along the main drag at UPEI it will set the.possibility of developers and the city to go up!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Let the people do it!!
The developers you listed run into issues when seeking a variance from Council. If a project falls within the zoning bylaw, the application starts and stops with the planning department. Council, and those pesky neighbours, are not involved.

This parcel is zoned Mixed Use Corridor. I’m not 100% sure (I should be because my home is also on MUC), but I believe five floors is permitted without variance. But the way the project is proposed today, D. L. McQuaid probably had a permit within a week.

Maybe Council should set minimum density in the bylaw on new construction for certain area?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
The developers you listed run into issues when seeking a variance from Council. If a project falls within the zoning bylaw, the application starts and stops with the planning department. Council, and those pesky neighbours, are not involved.

This parcel is zoned Mixed Use Corridor. I’m not 100% sure (I should be because my home is also on MUC), but I believe five floors is permitted without variance. But the way the project is proposed today, D. L. McQuaid probably had a permit within a week.

Maybe Council should set minimum density in the bylaw on new construction for certain area?

I can't believe this was not met with any opposition from the public! It has been sent forward for approval.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:

I can't believe this was not met with any opposition from the public! It has been sent forward for approval.
I just checked the council meeting package and a variance was requested to increase density from max 18 unit apartment to 24 unit, and some setback changes. How pathetic is it that only 18 units were permitted in the first place? Unreal.

As for neighbours, to the north is large apartment and directly to the south is a burnt out building that has been vacant for ~two years.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's much point in setting a minimum density. Developers want to maximize profit and typically that means maximizing density.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:09 AM

72 KENSINGTON RD

Another disappointing development. An area where they can play with height a bit but can only come up with 4 floors.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:38 AM

City Council Rejects Brackley Point Rd Development

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...cted-1.5426869

Last edited by Siriusb; Jan 15, 2020 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
City Council Rejects Brackley Point Rd Development

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...cted-1.5426869
Amazing. You’d think Brackley Point Road was a quiet street or something by the way this council is treating it. It’s one of the main roads into town, what’s so wrong with a little density on it?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:47 PM

They should want more traffic in the City not less.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:18 PM

City Permits

30-Dec-19 APPROVED 167 Minna Jane Drive

Retail Fit-up for Timber Mart APM Commercial

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:24 PM

City Permits

55-59 Richmond Street
Phase I (site & foundation): New 23
unit apartment building
APM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:45 PM

Construction equipment and an image of a 5 or 6 story apartment/condo are onsite at the old Leon's location on St.Peters Rd. The billboard says that it will be finished in 2021.

Anyone have any info on this?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Construction equipment and an image of a 5 or 6 story apartment/condo are onsite at the old Leon's location on St.Peters Rd. The billboard says that it will be finished in 2021.

Haven’t heard anything. I guess they realized we need more housing than a third Wendy’s location?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Saw this today!! Sorry for the bad pic!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Saw this today!! Sorry for the bad pic!

It looks like it might be 6 stories, with the top floor set back ????

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
It looks like it might be 6 stories, with the top floor set back ????
The pic is on the side of the construction hut on St Peter's Rd across from Scotiabank. I used my cell from across the street to get it. I had to take it quick. Looks like 6 stories with the sixth as a setback at the top.
Anyone who can get a better pic, it would tell better.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
72 KENSINGTON RD

Another disappointing development. An area where they can play with height a bit but can only come up with 4 floors.

Here's the full plan for Kensington Road. 90 units total. Pretty bland looking.......

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:22 PM

I think the area between Sydney, Water, Queen and Haviland is going to be a key area for infilling as well as the area between Euston, Spring Park Road, Kirkwood/Allen and Walthen. The southern area being already park of downtown, while the northern area is adjacent to downtown, and could help the downtown to grow.

Height restrictions in these areas need to be lifted, and minimum height standards for new builds need to be established. Minimum 5 storeys, maximum 20 storeys.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces