Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 9:58 PM
Dbacks baby!

hmmm...idk

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissundevil06 View Post
They cleared out an area in the middle of a block between college and forest.
You got me...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:06 PM

Also, there is a Red Planning Dev. Board in front of CP where those crazy rabbits are. It states for 3 towers. One 11 stories, there other 17, and the final 20. I also believe it called for retail, hotel with health spa, and an office buliding. Don't take my word on everything but almost poitive on number of floors and what wil be there. Could this possibly be replacing the area where Harkins is now?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:07 PM
Dbacks baby!

yep...Harkins is going to be gone...sad but true, I think the theater should remain

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:08 PM
Skyriser

The Block 12 development behind University Square was slated to be 2 20/25-story towers. It died out as the boom ended and ASU owns the dirt now. It's not listed in Tempe's project maps so who knows.

University Square is the big project for the Arches block, and the Newman Center is still another one.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:58 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdj View Post
Nobody seemed to mention this on the boards, but Long Wongs on Mill, south of University, has already closed. Seems like that CVS Pharmacy will be started on soon. I mentioned this before but I don't like that CVS Pharmacy there or in a 1 story building with a big parking lot around it.
That means that the Sahara Middle Eastern Restaurant will be closed as well. This just sucks to no end...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Also, there is a Red Planning Dev. Board in front of CP where those crazy rabbits are. It states for 3 towers. One 11 stories, there other 17, and the final 20. I also believe it called for retail, hotel with health spa, and an office buliding. Don't take my word on everything but almost poitive on number of floors and what wil be there. Could this possibly be replacing the area where Harkins is now?
The hotel will be 20 floors, and sit on top of a gym. This will replace the Harkins theater. The 17 floor office building will sit where the existing 4 story office building is, and the 11 floor condo w/retail will sit where the existing retail is (Fat Tuesday's, Pizzeria Uno, etc.) Nothing will happen until existing leases expire. The theater should be the first to go, in about 2 years.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:08 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
They cleared out an area in the middle of a block between college and forest.
Ok, I was curious and drove by tonight. You have to be referring to the block between 6th and 7th street between College and Forest adjacent to the block with the Islamic Community Center and the Phoenicia Cafe - a block north of University.

I am positive there used to be something on the Tempe web site about this, but it is no longer there. The developer must be selling or sitting on the land, unless someone else has insight.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 5:39 AM

Does anyone have anymore renderings of the project that is currently under construction called Tempe Gateway on Mill behind the U.S. airways center?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:52 AM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
That means that the Sahara Middle Eastern Restaurant will be closed as well. This just sucks to no end...
There's also a quirky costume shop ending its run as well, and a nice mom-and-pop barber shop called NYC Barber Shop closing too, in which I used to go there to get top-notch service from the European immigrants that ran the place.

STUPID CVS PHARMACY!!! Why oh why the City of Tempe did you guys made such a stupid Planning mistake! Sigh. And I used to work there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have anymore renderings of the project that is currently under construction called Tempe Gateway on Mill behind the U.S. airways center?
Here are a few renderings of the Tempe Gateway project I found:

Also, has anyone heard anything about a project called Residences at the Artspark? It looks like it was approved at the October 9th Development Review commission. There are two 9 story towers, one 14 story and one 16 story with a total of 472 residential condos and 40 live/work condos. It is located on 1st St. just south of Rio Salado Pkwy and the new Tempe Performing Arts Center. This looks like a really nice project. Is 16 stories too high for being that close to the airport?? I'm not sure but in any case the towers look really nice and here are a few renderings:

Last edited by flyer84; Oct 25, 2007 at 8:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:38 PM
Dbacks baby!

^^^Cool renderings, that project is new to me. I would hope 16 stories would work there across from the arts center, but that might be pushing the ceiling. 12 would probably be ok. Its just so questionable about buildings gaining much height beyond(west of) Mill Ave. along the Salt river because of take offs and landings at Sky Harbor, and its basically right in the flight path.

About Long Wongs and other businesses being forced to close because of yet another new CVS store. YAY, just what we need, NOT! What is Tempe thinking? Wouldn't it have been better if it went into some of the ground floor retail that is planned for Center Point? Just thinking of another generic stand alone CVS store makes me

Last edited by tempedude; Oct 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:01 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837 View Post
There's also a quirky costume shop ending its run as well, and a nice mom-and-pop barber shop called NYC Barber Shop closing too, in which I used to go there to get top-notch service from the European immigrants that ran the place.

STUPID CVS PHARMACY!!! Why oh why the City of Tempe did you guys made such a stupid Planning mistake! Sigh. And I used to work there.
The owner of these buildings is a real asshole. The shop-keepers have told me horror stories about how the owner refused to put any money into the places, and refused to fix any roof leaks, plumbing, electrical problems, etc. Total slumlord.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:19 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
Ok, I was curious and drove by tonight. You have to be referring to the block between 6th and 7th street between College and Forest adjacent to the block with the Islamic Community Center and the Phoenicia Cafe - a block north of University.

I am positive there used to be something on the Tempe web site about this, but it is no longer there. The developer must be selling or sitting on the land, unless someone else has insight.
As I posted in the last page, the Block 12 development was supposed to be 2x20-25 story towers, but died out during the boom. ASU owns the dirt now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdj View Post
Nobody seemed to mention this on the boards, but Long Wongs on Mill, south of University, has already closed. Seems like that CVS Pharmacy will be started on soon. I mentioned this before but I don't like that CVS Pharmacy there or in a 1 story building with a big parking lot around it.
I see a wal-mart bike!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 5:14 PM

And some really wild hair!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:07 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
As I posted in the last page, the Block 12 development was supposed to be 2x20-25 story towers, but died out during the boom. ASU owns the dirt now.
Got it, thank you! I was taking it too literally when you said "behind University Square." Also, the Tempe dev web site appears to have the University Square targets pointing to the wrong corner on its map, leading to my visual confusion:

http://www.tempe.gov/maps/Map.aspx?Map=MillAve

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:03 AM
tempe_native

its a Target bike! Best way to get around Tempe! And I just got a new camera so ill have to test it out pretty soon here and post some shots

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:35 AM
Dbacks baby!

^^^right on...stylin it with a Target bike...none of that low class wal-mart stuff I see

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 5:37 AM

Lumina

Does anyone know when Lumina Tempe will start construction? I know they are already well into the sales process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest