HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Wonder what ever happened to the contributor from Chicago looking for a site to develop and asking this board..... International wo(man) of mystery.
Pretty sure that was a fake. I'm basing this is on the land question. It's too much of a stretch to believe plans without property already secured. Oh ya, and that the real estate agent helping is the one with the most billboards in the city.

Hard to guess what the motivation was though, because it wasn't provocative like a typical troll.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:26 PM
Hammer'd

That "Chicago developer" was either totally fake or somehow even more amateur than Harry Stinson. I love this forum but this is the last place I would go to for serious advice on where to invest millions of dollars for a land acquisition/development. The rest of the story was pretty ridiculous as well. Almost sounded Trump-esque: "I have lots of partners, trust me. I know them all, they're good people. Wealthy people. We're ready to break ground in Hamilton in the next year."
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:16 AM
Forever forward.

They put on sold labels on the for sale signs today. Hopefully we get some progress soon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
They put on sold labels on the for sale signs today. Hopefully we get some progress soon.
Well that is good news... They wouldn't bother with that if it were going nowhere. Would be a waste of time and money.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Well that is good news... They wouldn't bother with that if it were going nowhere. Would be a waste of time and money.
interesting....wonder who bought it?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:16 AM

It will be interesting to see what's planned for this land. For example, will the new developer keeps the existing church, will it be a residential or commercial development, etc.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
It will be interesting to see what's planned for this land. For example, will the new developer keeps the existing church, will it be a residential or commercial development, etc.
There were a lot of problems with this land as it was originally build on a historical stream that used to run through here so there were issues below ground that had to be addressed I believe. For a city built on marshland there are always going to be odd problems like that..

It's one reason when people are doing excavations they pull up hay. In order to build on the marsh that was hamilton they packed down hay and then poured concrete over it - similar to how the mexicans put in stakes and laid down similar substances and then built on top of them in the middle of a lake.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
There were a lot of problems with this land as it was originally build on a historical stream that used to run through here so there were issues below ground that had to be addressed I believe. For a city built on marshland there are always going to be odd problems like that..

It's one reason when people are doing excavations they pull up hay. In order to build on the marsh that was hamilton they packed down hay and then poured concrete over it - similar to how the mexicans put in stakes and laid down similar substances and then built on top of them in the middle of a lake.
A lot more complex land has been built on in the city before!

I'm interested to see what the developer has planned for that space.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
A lot more complex land has been built on in the city before!

I'm interested to see what the developer has planned for that space.
Oh without a doubt - but I don't think they knew what they were getting into going into the project.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:26 PM

I hope to heck it's Brad Lamb

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I hope to heck it's Brad Lamb
You would've heard if it was him by now. Likely a developer from the GTA (not necessarily Downtown) I haven't heard Brad Lamb though.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
You would've heard if it was him by now. Likely a developer from the GTA (not necessarily Downtown) I haven't heard Brad Lamb though.

True enough

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Quote:
Oh without a doubt - but I don't think they knew what they were getting into going into the project.

Speculate on foundation issues if you wish, but it seems it was the financial side of the project that caused it to go tits up. Same with the developer's Mimico "on the GO" building (which made it as far as digging a giant hole and putting up some columns... the crane is long gone now but the hole and columns remain, and may end up as some future archaeologist's dig and academic paper)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Speculate on foundation issues if you wish, but it seems it was the financial side of the project that caused it to go tits up. Same with the developer's Mimico "on the GO" building (which made it as far as digging a giant hole and putting up some columns...
^ x 1000.

Beware the outcomes of any Hamilton senior bureaucrat who refers to a developer by his first name. "We've spoken to Louie and everything is fine". Add that naive councilor Farr to the mix.

Kinda like the time our city's chief commercial property management functionary admitted he had no experience with the restaurant leasing biz when the Lister steakhouse mess really blew up.

We looked like country bumpkins when those fiascos of projects unraveled. Next up?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 10:36 PM
Team St.Jean

Sale has closed.

Church is being incorporated into the development as I mentioned multiple times in the news.

Many changes taking place to project.

News coming sooner rather than later...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 11:33 PM
Ham-burgher

That's a promising update. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 11:49 PM

This will be a tough sell without a name attached to it that has great integrity in the community (eg Effort Trust) or just builds it (ie Vrancor).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 12:33 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStJean View Post
Sale has closed.

Church is being incorporated into the development as I mentioned multiple times in the news.

Many changes taking place to project.

News coming sooner rather than later...
Great! Can you let us know if it's going to be the same height? I want to see this built at the height it's at or even higher.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
The Land Services Group is pleased to announce the successful sale of a high-density residential development site located at 98 James Street South in downtown Hamilton.
http://cbreemail.com/cv/c5f787dc0c82...3774654168053f

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
This still doesn't state who the purchaser is. Land Services Group is an arm of CBRE. They're just the broker on the deal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton