HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:57 PM

I wonder why the rooftop of the building won't have any red aircraft warning lights, at least so far as we can tell from all the night renderings. Both towers of the original WTC complex were in relatively the same location, same height, and both towers had an array of blinking red lights. I don't believe the FAA rules have changed and it only seems natural for the new WTC to have these red lights too, falling within the same regulation as the original twins.

From the research I've done, it seems the "beacon" at the top of the spire isn't sufficient to meet all FAA regulations for a structure this size. There must also be some lights at 150' intervals moving down the spire, and red lights horizontally on the perimeter of the building's rooftop at 150' intervals. I wonder if the new 1 WTC will really lack all of these mandated lights?

Does anyone have any more info into this? Perhaps all the mandated FAA warning lights were left out of the night renderings to "pretty them up"?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 12:27 AM

Take a look at this, http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...zzmB179SxrDV4O

There will be an FAA red light indicator above the beacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I wonder why the rooftop of the building won't have any red aircraft warning lights, at least so far as we can tell from all the night renderings. Both towers of the original WTC complex were in relatively the same location, same height, and both towers had an array of blinking red lights. I don't believe the FAA rules have changed and it only seems natural for the new WTC to have these red lights too, falling within the same regulation as the original twins.

From the research I've done, it seems the "beacon" at the top of the spire isn't sufficient to meet all FAA regulations for a structure this size. There must also be some lights at 150' intervals moving down the spire, and red lights horizontally on the perimeter of the building's rooftop at 150' intervals. I wonder if the new 1 WTC will really lack all of these mandated lights?

Does anyone have any more info into this? Perhaps all the mandated FAA warning lights were left out of the night renderings to "pretty them up"?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:35 AM

The fact that the entire antenna structure will be lit up would make me think that an argument could be made with the FAA. In my experience with flying in the occasional storm, a lit mast stands out very well with the background. I also wouldn't be suprised if the ring has its own obstruction warning lights, perhaps at the roof corners to minimize the visibility from street level. I think that would work.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:22 AM

[QUOTE=Thanie My question for anyone who knows. What is the top height of the antenna rings? And why wouldn't that be included as part of the 'roof height' if indeed the building is cut down to the roof height instead of spire height by the CTBUH? Is that another 'covering'/radome issue?

1 wtc communication platform ring height will be 1,401 feet, but wont be included in its official height the reason being is it does not have enough structure to be deemed as and architectural element.

Last edited by Yankee fan for life; Mar 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:33 AM

That is one sturdy building!
Looks great

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:09 AM
Martian

When will this be topped off? I remember when it going up really quckly, last few months I haven't noticed any progress height-wise.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ It has already topped off. Now we're seeing the mast go up to make this tower structurally the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
When will this be topped off? I remember when it going up really quckly, last few months I haven't noticed any progress height-wise.
It's highly possible that the reason you haven't seen any progress height-wise is because it's already been topped off for 6 months

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
It looks as if it has visual components of both CN Tower and...crazy as it might sound...Tokyo Sky Tree.
Not crazy at all. The Tokyo Sky Tree is what came to mind when I first saw it. Of course, the TST itself looks nothing like the Freedom Tower, or that there could be any connection to it.

roccocell

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:22 PM
Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ It has already topped off. Now we're seeing the mast go up to make this tower structurally the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
It's highly possible that the reason you haven't seen any progress height-wise is because it's already been topped off for 6 months
Oh, haha. Hm, it somehow doesn't seem like the square formed by the roof of the building could fully fit within the square formed by the base, but that's probably a perspective thing. Well, that explains that, when will the antenna be going up? I'm guessing once they clad the whole thing in glass?

Also, we should add "T/O" in the title of the thread.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:32 PM
Come As You Are

^^ The antenna's already halfway up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:14 PM

does anyone know what height the observation will be at? same as the original wtc 2?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
does anyone know what height the observation will be at? same as the original wtc 2?
It will be lower than any of the original WTC observation decks. I don't know the exact height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
The CN tower will remain the highest for now (albeit unofficially)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
There won't be an open air rooftop ob deck like the original so it will be lower. However it will also be larger and more accommodating using three floors (100, 101 and 102). I haven't seen an exact height figure, but I suspect the top floor will be within a few feet +/- the height of the original's top indoor floor.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
The Observation Decks on the South Tower were higher. On the 107th floor it was 1,298' 4". On the roof deck it was like 1,377'. One WTC observation deck will be 1,266' 8" on the 102nd floor. On the 100th & 101st floors it will be 1,240' 0" & 1,254' 2".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:28 PM

So wait how much taller is that than the ESB observation decks?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 View Post
So wait how much taller is that than the ESB observation decks?
The ESB 86th floor is 1,046'
the 102nd is 1,224'

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
1 wtc communication platform ring height will be 1,401 feet, but wont be included in its official height the reason being is it does not have enough structure to be deemed as and architectural element.
Cool, thanks for answering that. So the inevitable followup question is does the mast have enough architectural elements to be considered in the final height without the radome. And does the fact that the mast was included in the original design NOT as an antenna (regardless of radome) matter when including or not including it in the height?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:45 PM

Have they started installing the communications ring? If not, when will that process begin?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
Have they started installing the communications ring? If not, when will that process begin?
According to some of the pictures, they have to begun installing the Communications ring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive