HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:24 PM

KHANTY-MANSIISK, SIBERIA | Diamond Tower | 919 FT / 280 M | 56 FLOORS

Foster Proposes `Diamond' Tower for Siberian Oil City

By Garfield Reynolds

April 13 (Bloomberg) -- Norman Foster, who designed the London office tower dubbed ``the Gherkin,'' has proposed a 56- story ``diamond crystal'' tower in Khanty-Mansiisk, the capital of the Siberian region that extracts more than half of Russia's oil.

Plans for the 280-meter (919-foot) high, glass-covered spire were presented yesterday to the governor of the region by Foster and Russian millionaire Shalva Tchigrinski, the regional government said on its Web site.

The tower will house a 161,000 square-meter business center, along with a hotel. The hotel would aid the city's plans to hold the 2010 world chess ``Olympiad,'' Khanty-Mansiisk regional Governor Alexander Filipenko said in the statement. The project would be funded by investors.

Josephine Cutts, a spokeswoman for Fosters & Partners, the London-based architectural design company Foster heads, confirmed it was involved in the project. Cutts declined to elaborate further.

The skyscraper would be Foster's fourth Russian project. Foster & Partners is designing the Zaryadye project close to Moscow's Red Square, the Moscow City Towers and the $320 million New Holland project in St. Petersburg.

Foster's design for New Holland, the redevelopment of a navy complex that was initially built by Peter the Great in the 18th century, was also commissioned by Tchigrinski's ST Group, a real-estate development company.

Khanty-Mansiisk is the capital of the autonomous region of the same name, a west Siberian oil province that extracted 5.5 million barrels a day of crude last year. That represents about 57 percent of the oil produced in Russia, the world's second- biggest supplier of the fuel behind Saudi Arabia.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:20 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Damn, Siberia's getting a skyscraper? Sweet! Here's hoping it gets built, but with oil prices the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised. BTW, how large is Khanty-Mansiisk?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:52 PM

this is strange. that city only has about 60,000 people! World Chess Olympiad?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 6:18 PM

It seems strange but even this was mooted ... not sure of its current status however.

Quote:
Three-billion-dollar Chess City planned for Dubai
(dpa)

14 October 2004

MOSCOW — Clusters of hotels built in the shape of giant chess pieces will rise on the skyline of Dubai, according to a three-billion-dollar project outlined in Moscow yesterday by World Chess Federation (Fide) president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

Up to 16 black and 16 white hotels will sit on a 64-hectare plot of land resembling a chessboard, depending on which game configuration is chosen as a blueprint, said Ilyumzhinov, who is also president of the Russian republic of Kalmykia.

Pawn-shaped hotels
“So far we plan either to copy a Bobby Fischer game or possibly one of (Russian chess master Garry) Kasparov’s,” he told journalists.

According to the plans, 50-storey pawn-shaped hotels will offer 3- to 4-star class accommodation; rooks, knights and bishops will be 60- storey with five stars, while four super-luxury hotels representing kings and queens will tower 70 storeys high. The complex will also house the headquarters of the International Chess Association.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 6:46 PM

What's next? The Amazon jungle?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 7:56 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

be careful...it just might happen.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 8:19 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

once the oil runs out that building would be useless
and seein how people are using oil these days i say it wont be long till the earth completely runs out
and Dubai stop being dumbasses i cant imagine a building in the shape of chess pieces?!?!
oh and i wanna see a rendering of this new proposal

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:01 AM
low-riding

a 900 footer in a city of 60,000!!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:15 AM
Expert

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A 280M building in a city of 60,000? That's not a skyscraper, that's a bizarre statue in honor of extreme wealth and ego.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 1:55 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlatsGrobnik View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A 280M building in a city of 60,000? That's not a skyscraper, that's a bizarre statue in honor of extreme wealth and ego.
I pretty sure that's how Dubai got started.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 2:05 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Yeah. Big egos are all the rage nowadays. It gives the illusion of urbanism.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:41 PM

Sounds like midland, texas(population ~100,000) in the 80's

They were going to build a bunch of skyscrapers over 500 feet including one designed by IM Pei but they got cancelled when the oil boom slowed down. The place still has an impressive skyline for a small town though.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:56 PM

Wow. THis one sure came out of nowhere. It's one of the last places where I could expect a tower like this with a big name designer like Foster, but then again apparently the city is indeed one of the world's economic powerhouses (producing half the oil in the world's second oil-richest region).

And all the ignorant posters (ex. "Damn, Siberia's getting a skyscraper?", "What's next? The Amazon jungle?" etc) need to shut the hell up and do some research before making such bigoted statements. A 900-footer in a city of 60,000 is understandably surprising anywhere in the world, yet don't say ridiculous stuff like that Siberia is devoid of any first world achievements whatsoever.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
once the oil runs out that building would be useless
and seein how people are using oil these days i say it wont be long till the earth completely runs out
and Dubai stop being dumbasses i cant imagine a building in the shape of chess pieces?!?!
oh and i wanna see a rendering of this new proposal

There are many places in the world where there is a lot of government spending due to the oil wealth. These high profits on oil will come to an end one way or another. I think those that have more of a hands off state will be able to quickly adjust to make profits in other ways.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 6:59 AM

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:12 AM

Fosters + Partners reveal Siberian eco tower
11 June, 2007

Reflected and refracted light will illuminate the interior of mxed used tower

Fosters + Partners has unveiled designs for a mixed used tower rising above the skyline of Khanty Mansiysk in Siberia. Set on a hill, the tower will rise above two podium buildings each facetted to reflect light to illuminate its interior.

Fosters + Partners has not revealed the sustainable energy strategies it will be using for the development but it has said: "key to the energy performance of the building are its atria, designed to facilitate solar gain and to encourgae daylight to permeate the complex."

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 1:20 PM
Everywhere all at once

..um...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:00 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Thats a big base...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

why do i think north korean unfinished 100 storey tower part deux.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:39 PM
TL;DR

Wow.... that's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Foster gets another home-run. Lately his stuff has become a little repetitive... glassy, diagrids, etc. It's a very solid design system, of course, but with the sheer number of buildings Foster is doing right now, you'd expect a little more improvisation.

The unique chance to build a tower as a monument in the middle of a vast tundra/taiga must have really brought out the best in his design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive