HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3761  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:46 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,012
Great post. Once again the reason why this such an excellent forum.

Are the two southern expansion piers already part of the master plan? I thought those were options being considered for the next phase.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3762  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:18 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,606
Welcome to the SSP forum ReggieT And thanks for your posts. Hope to see you post more on here in the future.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3763  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:03 AM
ReggieT ReggieT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Yes The ABIA two pier 10 to 20 (minimum) gate expansion off the main terminal is what I heard several months ago. Right around gate 6 and 15. If it’s a go it is supposed to break ground immediately after the nine gate terminal is complete for the fact that the expansion in itself is so far behind regarding much-needed Airport growth.

Btw, in the last two weeks I have received fairly solid Confirmation from local sources at the airport that Delta has acquired all nine gates in the new terminal. The two A380 gates will be shared (CUTE) gates of course. But a Big capacity add overall. This doubles delta current 4 gate structure. So of course any future expansion would possibly involve delta picking up another 3 to 5 or more gates if that expansion was 10-20 or more gates
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3764  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:43 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieT View Post
Yes The ABIA two pier 10 to 20 (minimum) gate expansion off the main terminal is what I heard several months ago. Right around gate 6 and 15. If it’s a go it is supposed to break ground immediately after the nine gate terminal is complete for the fact that the expansion in itself is so far behind regarding much-needed Airport growth.

Btw, in the last two weeks I have received fairly solid Confirmation from local sources at the airport that Delta has acquired all nine gates in the new terminal. The two A380 gates will be shared (CUTE) gates of course. But a Big capacity add overall. This doubles delta current 4 gate structure. So of course any future expansion would possibly involve delta picking up another 3 to 5 or more gates if that expansion was 10-20 or more gates
Hello ReggieT, welcome to the forum! Thanks for your insight and giving us the inside scoop about Delta's plans at ABIA, your notes are fun to read! I sure hope that expansion begins right away because it is desperately needed. I am a little confused on your Delta statement, you said they acquired all 9 of the new gates, I thought only 7/9 could be acquired, with the A380 gates being available for all.

One more thing, do you know if Delta is keeping their current gates in addition to the new gates that they have leased? I thought Delta used 3 gates at the moment (but since you work for Delta at AUS I'm probably wrong ), they will have a huge gate increase when the extension comes online, a focus city really does seem to be the future of Delta at AUS. I wonder if this will be brought up at the February 6th meeting?
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3765  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:26 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,507
Exciting stuff. I also hope the expansion happens immediately after the current one wraps up...we're behind and in need of some more room. I'm okay with the pier design also. It's not perfect, but it's not horrible. In any case, I look forward to seeing the master plan when it comes out. Thanks for the insight, ReggieT!
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3766  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:40 AM
Speculator Speculator is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 158
Are there any airports servicing A380 that do not use gates with 3 jet bridges? I have never seen any and flown A380 to 8 or 9 places including smaller markets like Copenhagen. I ask because those 2 AUS gates don't seem A380 ready to me. I could be wrong, just haven't seen it in person.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3767  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:05 AM
ReggieT ReggieT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Hello ReggieT, welcome to the forum! Thanks for your insight and giving us the inside scoop about Delta's plans at ABIA, your notes are fun to read! I sure hope that expansion begins right away because it is desperately needed. I am a little confused on your Delta statement, you said they acquired all 9 of the new gates, I thought only 7/9 could be acquired, with the A380 gates being available for all.

One more thing, do you know if Delta is keeping their current gates in addition to the new gates that they have leased? I thought Delta used 3 gates at the moment (but since you work for Delta at AUS I'm probably wrong ), they will have a huge gate increase when the extension comes online, a focus city really does seem to be the future of Delta at AUS. I wonder if this will be brought up at the February 6th meeting?

When I say local sources at the airport I don’t mean Delta per se. It’s anecdotal evidence gleaned from other players here that were interested in attaining some of those gates and both have run into Roadblocks termed “the gates are already accounted for.” Delta always wants to Make their big announcements on their calendar clock versus anything thats leaked involuntarily, erupting in the target market premature to their message management.
But it’d be Nine gates with two being the shared use CUTE gates. This Doesn’t diminish the overall ownership of all nine. It’s just that at an airport with a limited amount of gates, there will always be shared gates in the sense that this is the only international end of the airport regarding the big dogs. TATL routes.

I imagine The chamber of commerce announcement could likely be the addition of new cities to the Austin route structure. The Sky Club will likely be the most elegant one in the Central Texas region. So that can just as well be part of the announcement. The sky club and the new cities to go with the sky club inaugural opening
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3768  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:14 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,608
delete

Last edited by wwmiv; Jan 23, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3769  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:53 PM
khowaga khowaga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieT View Post
When I say local sources at the airport I don’t mean Delta per se. It’s anecdotal evidence gleaned from other players here that were interested in attaining some of those gates and both have run into Roadblocks termed “the gates are already accounted for.” Delta always wants to Make their big announcements on their calendar clock versus anything thats leaked involuntarily, erupting in the target market premature to their message management.
But it’d be Nine gates with two being the shared use CUTE gates. This Doesn’t diminish the overall ownership of all nine. It’s just that at an airport with a limited amount of gates, there will always be shared gates in the sense that this is the only international end of the airport regarding the big dogs. TATL routes.

I imagine The chamber of commerce announcement could likely be the addition of new cities to the Austin route structure. The Sky Club will likely be the most elegant one in the Central Texas region. So that can just as well be part of the announcement. The sky club and the new cities to go with the sky club inaugural opening
Honest question: are the two dual jetway gates actually 380 capable? I thought I had heard early on that they didn’t elevate properly for the upper deck and were going to be used mostly on the 777 type aircraft to differentiate premium vs. economy boarding. Good for us if they are.

So, the big question: is DL keeping its current gates? Or moving to the expansion and abandoning the ones it has? (Which leads to the next obvious question...)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3770  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:53 PM
ReggieT ReggieT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Honest question: are the two dual jetway gates actually 380 capable? I thought I had heard early on that they didn’t elevate properly for the upper deck and were going to be used mostly on the 777 type aircraft to differentiate premium vs. economy boarding. Good for us if they are.

So, the big question: is DL keeping its current gates? Or moving to the expansion and abandoning the ones it has? (Which leads to the next obvious question...)
Yes they are 380 ready gates as far as I was told. In terms of historical Austin City planning, It’s very typical forward thinking as a whole, albeit it way behind at airport. Those big gates at the end was one of the first standout unique differences of the new extension. Regarding current gates, no, DL was always giving up the current 3-4 in moving to the new finished side, More or less tripling their AUS footprint and becoming arguably the biggest tenant at ABIA (by number of gates and maybe long term by daily flights) at the new opening July 2019. (That’s the finish date Hensel Phelps has on their website. But Who knows, it might be a few months sooner but Austin is notoriously regulation heavy regarding all big construction, highway and otherwise)

Rumor is Those old DL gates have a decent chance of becoming WN gates, esp since WN gates currently start at gate 7. WN could own those, Possibly on top of the current 6 they already have. WN in many cases gets what they request from ABIA, maybe because they currently have the most daily flights over any AUS carrier (in the 25-27% of all flights range)
DL existing gates are 4,5 6 with 3a and 3 used on busy points of the day like the early morning.

The new move also creates All new offices for DL Operations and the locker/break room facilities for below Wing ACS (airport customer service), which was in dire need of an upgrade regarding space and quality. The new mechanics will take over the current Operations and break room/ramper locker space. They Also move into the cleaning supply product (blAnkets, DL magazines, etc) storage area adjacent to Ops and the locker room.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3771  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:00 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
The ABIA construction update has been posted. Roof work reaches terminal center, business counters and concession construction starts.

Ceiling covers in place as center terminal roof replacement begins


Thirteen business counters added throughout terminal

The Austin airport is constructing 13 new business counter locations in the Barbara Jordan Terminal. This will provide passengers more locations for laptop and mobile device operation and increases the number of electrical charging options in the terminal.

Each counter averages 4 feet in height, with more than 1.5 feet of solid surface counter space. Each counter ranges from 10 to 17 feet in length with electrical and USB outlets and is currently located near Gates 5-8, 10-12, 13-19, and 20-21.

Departure Lounge, Berry Austin construction begins near Gate 8


Construction begins on second Barton Springs, Ruta Maya locations. A construction wall near Gate 5, at the Austin airport, indicates the beginning of a build for the second locations of a Barton Springs store and Ruta Maya coffee cafe.

To see the full article, click the link below.
http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/con...ruction-update

Completely off topic but ViaAir's service to OKC from Austin that was supposed to start January 18th has been pushed back to March 1st for unknown reasons.

Allegiant AUS-IND upgrades from 2x weekly to 3x weekly on May 27th.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3772  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:37 PM
khowaga khowaga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieT View Post
Yes they are 380 ready gates as far as I was told. In terms of historical Austin City planning, It’s very typical forward thinking as a whole, albeit it way behind at airport. Those big gates at the end was one of the first standout unique differences of the new extension. Regarding current gates, no, DL was always giving up the current 3-4 in moving to the new finished side, More or less tripling their AUS footprint and becoming arguably the biggest tenant at ABIA (by number of gates and maybe long term by daily flights) at the new opening July 2019. (That’s the finish date Hensel Phelps has on their website. But Who knows, it might be a few months sooner but Austin is notoriously regulation heavy regarding all big construction, highway and otherwise)
No doubt. It’ll be terrific for their branding to have the entire DL (and AM, which is now handled by DL) operation in that area. The “Delta wing,” as it were.

I’ve also heard rumblings that they’re trying to speed up construction. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieT View Post
Rumor is Those old DL gates have a decent chance of becoming WN gates, esp since WN gates currently start at gate 7. WN could own those, Possibly on top of the current 6 they already have. WN in many cases gets what they request from ABIA, maybe because they currently have the most daily flights over any AUS carrier (in the 25-27% of all flights range)
I had heard that WN got shut out of the new extension, so it would make sense this was a consolation prize. Man, AA must be chewing the carpet if they don’t get anything.

It would also be nice to see the airport authority take the opportunity to do a little consolidation down at the other end (in the 20s) to take care of the gates that are now split up because of all the mergers (AA/US; CO/UA) and put them next to each other. Maybe give B6 the “cap” so they can have their own branded area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3773  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:49 AM
Speculator Speculator is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Honest question: are the two dual jetway gates actually 380 capable? I thought I had heard early on that they didn’t elevate properly for the upper deck and were going to be used mostly on the 777 type aircraft to differentiate premium vs. economy boarding.
Just did a little research and it seems that the only hard requirement is width to handle wing span. 2 jet bridges seem to be fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3774  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:56 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Southwest will add an additional Saturday flight for it's seasonal Cancun service. The flight will be from June 9 to an unnamed date in July.
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/sout...-cancun-mexico
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3775  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:25 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Abia 2017 numbers

December numbers are in, ABIA saw 1,190,513 passengers, up 15% compared to December 2016. December 2017 enplanements totaled 611,873, up 16%.

December 2017 air cargo totaled 15,914,668 lbs., down 3% compared to December 2016; International air cargo 2,040,388 lbs., up 7%; Federal Express carried 7.9 million lbs., down 7.5%; and United Parcel Service carried 3.9 million lbs., up 1%.

Air Services transferred 704,888 lbs. of mail, up 31.5%; and 1,839,760 lbs. of belly freight, up 4%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 3,480, down 3%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 15,956 up 6.5%.

2017 has been fully accounted for, ABIA saw 13,889,305 passengers in 2017, up 11.5%, compared to January – December 2016. January – December 2017. Enplanements totaled 6,973,115, up 12%.

December YTD (January – December 2017) air cargo totaled 189,362,637 lbs., up 8% compared to December 2016. International air cargo totaled 26,569,136 lbs., up 40%. Federal Express carried 102.3 million lbs., up 3%; and United Parcel Service carried 35.6 million lbs., up 26%.

Air Services transferred 7,011,790 lbs. of mail, up 47.5%; and 21,674,912 lbs. of belly freight, up 28.5%.

Aircraft Operations: 2017 General Aviation operations totaled 51,238, down 1% from January – December 2016 YTD. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 199,632 up 4%.



View the full article here

It was once the assumption that ABIA wouldn't reach 15million pax till 2025, ABIA is on track to surpass 15million this year if the growth continues. Change can't come soon enough, more and more gates are needed as Austin is becoming internationally recognized.

Here are some 2017 fun facts: http://www.austintexas.gov/news/reco...s-brisket-2017
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus

Last edited by masonh2479; Feb 1, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3776  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:32 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,606
And it's because of numbers like that that keep leading to me to feel that Delta is planning something for Austin. Indeed many airlines including those not currently serving Austin are taking a close look at us and what opportunities they can tap into.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if construction sped up and the east wing gets completed early.

Rumors that the next expansion looks more plausible considering that we are nearly at 14 million yearly passengers. They have no choice but to immediately start work on the next wave of gates just to catch up from behind.

Anything that Austin1971 says, I take notice. If he says 2018 is going to be a huge year for the port then we can expect a huge year.

These are exciting times for ABIA, looking forward to the announcements and surprises along the way.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3777  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:02 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,124
What time is the "press conference" or whatever it is today?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3778  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:30 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
And it's because of numbers like that that keep leading to me to feel that Delta is planning something for Austin. Indeed many airlines including those not currently serving Austin are taking a close look at us and what opportunities they can tap into.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if construction sped up and the east wing gets completed early.

Rumors that the next expansion looks more plausible considering that we are nearly at 14 million yearly passengers. They have no choice but to immediately start work on the next wave of gates just to catch up from behind.

Anything that Austin1971 says, I take notice. If he says 2018 is going to be a huge year for the port then we can expect a huge year.

These are exciting times for ABIA, looking forward to the announcements and surprises along the way.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if construction was sped up, it needs to be. I too take note of what Austin1971 says and can't wait to see what is in store!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
What time is the "press conference" or whatever it is today?
I didn't know of a conference today but the annual commerce meeting is February 6 at 11. Taking place at the JW Marriott.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3779  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:51 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
What time is the "press conference" or whatever it is today?
I thought there was a "Delta announcement" at city council today. Or that was the rumor.

Edit: NM, it is the 6th.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3780  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:11 PM
eskimo33 eskimo33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 61
Does anyone know if the F1 cars and supporting equipment are included in the international cargo numbers? I would think it is, but really have no idea...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.