HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:39 PM
Certified Idahoan

ok. So you all are talking about shadow play and not an actual design element. I was confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
ok. So you all are talking about shadow play and not an actual design element. I was confused. Thanks for clarifying.
Not exactly. The terra cotta fins change shape as you look up the tower in order to cast either more or less shadow. It's done in a fluid pattern as the building rises.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:02 PM
Illustrator

From this morning (Feb 8)

An angle that I don't recall seeing posted here:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Never get sick of that facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Not exactly. The terra cotta fins change shape as you look up the tower in order to cast either more or less shadow. It's done in a fluid pattern as the building rises.

15 minutes in...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:31 AM
Architectural Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

I was reading an article the other day how when Cityspire was completed the shape of the dome created a loud whistling sound due to wind drafting through the crown. This went on for a year driving the residents insane before they removed every other piece of the crown cancelling the wind effect. One of those the more you know useless pieces of information.
I heard the same comments when I toured the Triplex penthouse unit a year or so ago.
I would LOVE to get NYguy in that triplex for a new angle on his fantastic pictures! The views from that place must be insane right now with all the new construction. You get to see NYC history one floor at a time.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Natario View Post
I heard the same comments when I toured the Triplex penthouse unit a year or so ago.
Saw it on the news years ago. Never heard it though.

I think this is the first building I can use the word "delicious" to describe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be85ZuIF...=tectonicphoto

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Starting to peek out in the crowd...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfD422RB...by=aerialvpllc

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Starting to peek out in the crowd...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfD422RB...by=aerialvpllc

That glassy wedge tower in the 40s turned out nicely.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:15 AM

uh-oh ! . . there she blows . .
the fun/scary part starts for me now . .
that CP stone bridge view shows that,
she is really staring to get right up there . .
the east-west side facade treatments,
look just like the renderings . . amazing !

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:58 PM

The Chrysler Building still as elegant and classy as ever after 90 years.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
The Chrysler Building still as elegant and classy as ever after 90 years.
And always will be.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFNh8sl...ken-by=jkamuda

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:25 PM

I went to New York on Saturday for the first time since July, so it was the first time I got to see this building at all. I only saw it from a cab, so no pictures, but I was surprised to see it. Based on renderings, it was originally one of my least favorite of New York's new supertalls, if not my least favorite overall. But now that I've seen it in real life, the cladding on the side of the building is fantastic, and it looks great. I was concerned that it would look awkward in the skyline, given how thin it is, but I'm not sure about that now. I've noticed that renderings and pictures online cannot substitute for seeing it in real life. Even if that does take effect, the Central Park Tower should lessen that effect.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:04 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Based on renderings, it was originally one of my least favorite of New York's new supertalls, if not my least favorite overall. But now that I've seen it in real life, the cladding on the side of the building is fantastic, and it looks great.
There are a lot of buildings like this. Imo, the Gehry tower downtown (New York by Gehry at 8 Spruce St) looks pretty bad in photos but is actually quite nice in person and the facade is interesting. However, I think this building looks great in renders too so we will see!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:58 AM

I too find the cladding looks just like the renderings. Beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:55 AM

The first setback is visible at the top left of this photo. The top shown extended concrete floor is the 51st floor and the first open windbreak level. Levels above will not extend that far to the left. Note the scaffolding has already been taken in that 6 or 7 feet from the left.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I went to New York on Saturday for the first time since July, so it was the first time I got to see this building at all. I only saw it from a cab, so no pictures, but I was surprised to see it. Based on renderings, it was originally one of my least favorite of New York's new supertalls, if not my least favorite overall. But now that I've seen it in real life, the cladding on the side of the building is fantastic, and it looks great. I was concerned that it would look awkward in the skyline, given how thin it is, but I'm not sure about that now. I've noticed that renderings and pictures online cannot substitute for seeing it in real life. Even if that does take effect, the Central Park Tower should lessen that effect.

Completely agree, it's mindblowing in person.

FEBRUARY 13, 2018

7. If you look closely at this photo, you can see the patterns the different levels of terra cotta will make on the sides...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

FEBRUARY 13, 2018

7. If you look closely at this photo, you can see the patterns the different levels of terra cotta will make on the sides...

SHoP did not need to do that, adding even more detail (and complication) to the immaculate facade, but they did. And it's why I love them. They go above and WAYYYY beyond.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:30 PM
Certified Idahoan

NYGuy, you are a treasure.

Thank you for detailing what I hadn't seen before. Although it is bittersweet, because the attention to detail in this building is so severely lacking in today's architecture as a whole. This building highlights it, but maybe could change some thinking by developers in the future.

P.S. shouldn't this building feature, somewhere, a dramatic bas-relief as an ode to the eagles of the Chrysler building. I think so. maybe near the base, where massing would make more sense.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
SHoP did not need to do that, adding even more detail (and complication) to the immaculate facade, but they did. And it's why I love them. They go above and WAYYYY beyond.

Yeah, SHoP is my favorite right now. It seems they are all over the city, but we are seeing more of their work outside the city, which is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
NYGuy, you are a treasure.
Lol, every post should begin that way.

Quote:
Thank you for detailing what I hadn't seen before. Although it is bittersweet, because the attention to detail in this building is so severely lacking in today's architecture as a whole. This building highlights it, but maybe could change some thinking by developers in the future.

P.S. shouldn't this building feature, somewhere, a dramatic bas-relief as an ode to the eagles of the Chrysler building. I think so. maybe near the base, where massing would make more sense.

I think it's closer to the Woolworth, so maybe we could get Michael Stern in one of these...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pin...ural-ornament/

Maybe we can get one of these...imagine the new crop of skyscrapers going up.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/a...931-photo.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive