HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:23 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The first time I drove up King after the underpass had opened, I had to pull off at Union as my vision was starting to blur. I am serious - to me it was so ugly that it made me tear up. And I'm an LRT supporter. To be fair, it wasn't just the catenary system, it was the forest of catenary posts, hydro poles, traffic lights, street signs. I found it overwhelming, especially in the KCI to GRH stretch. We know that Kitchener doesn't do a lot of pretty, but man oh man!
Kitchener-Waterloo is no longer a sleepy little town, it's growing into an urban agglomeration of its own right. That village aesthetic is no longer sustainable on a high street with mass transit. Why weep for the past, embrace the future and all the opportunities it brings buddy

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Kitchener-Waterloo is no longer a sleepy little town, it's growing into an urban agglomeration of its own right. That village aesthetic is no longer sustainable on a high street with mass transit. Why weep for the past, embrace the future and all the opportunities it brings buddy
It was not about the past, it was about esthetics (period, not "village esthetics" unless you're suggesting that cities must get uglier as they grow). As I said, I'm an LRT supporter and I have no alternative to offer, I'm just saying that it is brutally ugly.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:43 PM

A surprisingly good proposal in Gatineau's Plateau area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Le Plateau is fast becoming one of Gatineau's densest areas (hence named for Le Plateau in Montreal) with hundreds of condo buildings along the main thoroughfare of the same and secondary streets running north to Pink Road. But up until now, it is still a dismal car-centric suburban area. But this might change (somewhat) with an impressive new "Coeur du Village" that will feature the new "AGORA" development, arguably one of the best suburban developments we've seen in the region;

- $250 million project;
- 5 storey buildings, with retail on the ground floor, office space on the second floor and residential on the upper floors;
- One or two 10 storey buildings
- 600 residential units;
- Total of 210,000 square feet of office space;
- 120,000 square feet of commercial space;
- 80,000 square feet of "public space" (parks and plazas? There has been talk of a farmers market);

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...9b3287da95c463

https://agora-plateau.com/

Adjacent to this development, the City of Gatineau is building a brand new 18,000 square foot library, the result of a design competition, within a new central park.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...theque-plateau

Here's a view of the area's layout, showing AGORA on the right and the central park in the centre. The library is marked with a star.

http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...&id=-910107306

To that, there is the possibility that light-rail transit could be added within the next 10 years.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 11:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A proposal for Halifax.

It has a bit of a retro look; like they drew it up in 2002 and refreshed it more recently. This is along Robie Street in a part of the South End that is a kind of transitional zone between downtown and the Dalhousie campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is one of the 19 that was originally proposed to go for a DA prior to Centre Plan.

The design has been refined somewhat.
Public meeting taking place Monday, June 4th, 2018, beginning at 6:30 p.m. at St. Andrew’s United Church, 6036 Coburg Road.

More info:
https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...arlton-streets

Robie and College 1 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Robie And College 2 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Robie And College 3 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Robie and College 4 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Robie and College 5 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Spring Garden West is right next door (behind the new buildings in the first rendering):

Source

Then there's this one across the street (just the glass tower in behind; it'll be connected to the grey brick 1950's-era tower in front):

Source

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:17 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Interesting Halifax proposals....

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:16 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I love the scale of the development, but dang, that is an ugly-looking project. It looks like they cut off pieces of four different projects, and put them together here. Dr. Frankenstein would be proud.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:29 AM
More transit please

Enticy condos - 23 floors

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:42 PM
The New Republic

That block in Halifax definitely needed a shot in the arm and will help extend the high street feel of downtown to the foot of Dalhousie.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:25 PM

[QUOTE=someone123;8201559]

Spring Garden West is right next door (behind the new buildings in the first rendering):

Source

Whoa. My place when I lived in Halifax was along there. Strange to see it cosidered for redevelopment. I can understand why there is a vision for more intensive development there, but I did kind of like the quirky small scale at that end of Spring Garden Rd. Interesting.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:43 PM

Here's the HQ renderings of Hamilton's Corktown Commons development that SteelTown posted about on the previous page. Heights are 34 & 31 floors...

source

source

source

source

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Enticy condos - 23 floors

Oh no - the trend of banal, out-of-scale condo towers awkwardly plopped on top of heritage houses has spread to Montreal now too?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:45 PM

Please no Halifax. You're far too good for this.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:02 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Oh no - the trend of banal, out-of-scale condo towers awkwardly plopped on top of heritage houses has spread to Montreal now too?
Yeah. Not a fan of this thing. At all.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:22 PM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Please no Halifax. You're far too good for this.
I'm guessing you haven't seen any of our other recent residential architecture?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 11:29 PM
Kneel before Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm guessing you haven't seen any of our other recent residential architecture?
Even the worst of it doesn't look like it came from 2002.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:19 AM
The New Republic

What's with so many Halifax buildings doing podiums that give a nod to the Historic Properties? It's nice to see stone used instead of glass but the one's I've seen don't work.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:21 AM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What's with so many Halifax buildings doing podiums that give a nod to the Historic Properties? It's nice to see stone used instead of glass but the one's I've seen don't work.
To please NIMBYs and to tie things in, as well as somewhat preserving that historic niche. It's going to be a while until people are prepared for super modern architecture from the 20th century.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
To please NIMBYs and to tie things in, as well as somewhat preserving that historic niche. It's going to be a while until people are prepared for super modern architecture from the 20th century.
There's a wide variety of styles of new development in Halifax. There are lots of modern examples that don't attempt to recreate prewar architecture. This one's proposed for the other half of the same block:

Source

(Though this other example is similar in a bunch of ways; big footprint, complicated shape, many cladding materials. I don't think either one is great.)

There are also a lot of developments that combine heritage elements with modern construction. The houses shown in the rendering above are not reconstructions; the plan is to move those around and preserve them.

This looks below average in terms of design and probably will be below average in terms of ultimate build quality (since I doubt they will be using real stone for example, although a handful of projects there have in recent years).

One interesting aspect of this development is that Robie Street in Halifax might become a much busier, more commercial street in the future. The city is really filling in, even if some of the new developments are architecturally mediocre.

A couple more along Robie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This proposal has been revised. Now a more slender tower of 17 storeys is proposed.

More info: https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax

Robie and Bilby by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Source

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:49 PM

Château Laurier addition, 4th public attempt. I for one am very happy with this latest proposal. It's a striking modern addition using high quality materials that tie in with the original. Yet it is simple (and low) enough that the focus continues to be the original hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
New Château Laurier design includes more limestone, hoping to win over critics

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: May 31, 2018

The owner of the Château Laurier has filed a new design for its proposed addition, attempting to make the contemporary wing complement the historic hotel.

A heritage brief submitted with the package at city hall this week says “limestone fins” on the north-facing side, fronting Major’s Hill Park, will break up the height of the building.

One of the knocks against the previous design was that the glassy facade sullied the vista to the limestone and copper hotel. Including limestone in the revised design might win over critics who are worried about ruining the heritage value of the property with a contemporary hotel addition.

Larco Investments, which owns the hotel, asked its designers at architectsAlliance to come up with another vision for the addition after the last one released in February received a strong rebuke from heritage advocates, such as Heritage Ottawa, which said the design had “all the charm of a box store.”

The architects have also changed the exterior design of the other sides of the proposed addition. The east-facing and west-facing sides have diagonal glass panes with limestone frames.

The author of the heritage brief, ERA Architects, says the new design protects heritage values of the hotel and the surrounding landscape along the Rideau Canal.

“It is our opinion that, from a heritage perspective, the exterior refinements described above represent a positive and context-sensitive design evolution for the Château Laurier’s proposed addition,” the brief says.

Heritage Ottawa hadn’t yet commented on the new design.

Larco is demolishing the existing parking garage to make way for the new eight-storey addition, which is proposed to have 171 long-stay units and an underground parking garage. There will be no changes to the existing 426-unit landmark hotel building.

The company needs to go through the city’s political approval process to build the addition. That means ultimately winning approval by city council, but first going through the built-heritage subcommittee and planning committee.

The urban design review panel, made up of non-city hall architects, is also providing guidance.

The city hasn’t said when the application will go through the committee and council process.

The February design was open to public feedback, but the city hasn’t published a report on what it heard.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...lassy-addition
Here are some similar views of the 4* versions.

*Note that the first and second version we pretty much the same, so they both be defined by the first picture.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:19 AM
The New Republic

Boy do they ever need to leave that hotel alone. If they want more space build another hotel somewhere else but don't wreck these vistas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada