HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:26 PM

The Residences of John Barton | ? | 4? fl | Proposed

Quote:
Find your new home in The Residence of John Barton. Our selection of elegant townhomes are located in the wonderful Downtown community of Hamilton. Steps away from the new Hamilton LRT, the LIUNA station, Downtowns shops & entertainment, several parks, good schools, the General Hospital, and adjacent to a brand new medical center.
http://jbii.ca/projects/residences/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:11 AM

I know that this is a decent distance from the core, and it is at the very least covering yet another parking lot, or empty lot, but I can't help by be disappointed by the density.

They could have easily done a 4 or 5 storey condo or rental building similar to the current building at the corner of Barton and Catherine Street. This brings a measly 40 units to a space that could easily fit 100.

Plus all these units have a lovely yard of pavement and cars. Blegh.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:06 AM

Pretty typical of most townhouse complexes as far as green space. They do have two patches of grass with the transformer play equipment for kids.

I am happy with the density, similar to the recent new build a few blocks west. All for investment in this area - great hope to see all surface lots filled in between here and King.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:59 PM
Hamilton Historian

I like it - a city shouldn't just be all condos or high rises for every new development.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I like it - a city shouldn't just be all condos or high rises for every new development.
Agreed on the latter, but I feel like some low density, yet not suburban development would be preferable. I don't think the building on the corner being extended with some nice brickwork would be bad.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:17 PM
Hammer'd

definitely not digging it much but at least they pushed the building out to the outside sidewalks and put the parking on the inside. sort of like a fancy housing complex, I guess. I doubt this will have any kind of affordability to it though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Agreed on the latter, but I feel like some low density, yet not suburban development would be preferable. I don't think the building on the corner being extended with some nice brickwork would be bad.
I won't lie - I am glad to see hookerville being demolished.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I know that this is a decent distance from the core, and it is at the very least covering yet another parking lot, or empty lot, but I can't help by be disappointed by the density.

They could have easily done a 4 or 5 storey condo or rental building similar to the current building at the corner of Barton and Catherine Street. This brings a measly 40 units to a space that could easily fit 100.

Plus all these units have a lovely yard of pavement and cars. Blegh.
Yeah I would have preferred five or six European style buildings with retail below, especially since it is pretty close to the GO station.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:52 PM

It will be a sad day once Hamilton Strip closes for good. Halo is a true gem and should be visited if you guys haven’t done so yet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 10:38 AM

I did a double take when I saw this. Sure we are all tall building hungry now that we see a ball rolling in this city. However driving past this spot the other day, I thought how unsightly this area can seem. I think any sort of investment in the area is a wonderful thing. When looking at the area from above, that is a large piece of property that is being filled, and being arranged nicely to encourage other developers to come along and bring some life back to the neighbourhood. It's definitely a start.

websites for upload images

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:20 PM

Could definitely be worse. I like the fact that buildings are all right up against the road with parking in the middle.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
I did a double take when I saw this. Sure we are all tall building hungry now that we see a ball rolling in this city.
Speak for yourself - I am more "if the size fits the area and we need all shapes heights and sizes for an interesting look" typa guy.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 11:39 PM
Ham-burgher

This is good scale for the area, and good use of those lots. Looking forward to more renders.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:11 PM

From the developer's twitter:

Quote:
We're making changes to our layout thanks to our meeting with the Design Review Panel. They requested and we'll deliver- more green space and more balconies coming up! #HamOnt
https://twitter.com/JBI_Inc?lang=en

This is really interesting.. The DRP kind of suggested they'd rather see this as a few low rise apartment buildings instead of townhouses. I wonder if that's what they're moving towards.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
From the developer's twitter:

https://twitter.com/JBI_Inc?lang=en

This is really interesting.. The DRP kind of suggested they'd rather see this as a few low rise apartment buildings instead of townhouses. I wonder if that's what they're moving towards.
Which is exactly what I wanted. So I am happy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:58 PM

DRP, delays, redraws, and pricey. Has to be a better way for developers to have guidance in hand before having to spend time, resources and funds in design packages.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
DRP, delays, redraws, and pricey. Has to be a better way for developers to have guidance in hand before having to spend time, resources and funds in design packages.
It's been an adjustment for sure. Will continue to be too, I think.

I don't know if there's a better way. Does this panel operate differently than those of other cities?

Perhaps it will force developers to spend more time with their architects anticipating issues, or trying to get some DeRP opinion they can incorporate ahead of a proposal submission (if they can?). If the overall result is better quality and more attractive buildings, then the hassle will have been a good thing.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 8:02 PM

Either there should be detailed guidelines or members of the DRP should be made available before a DRP presentation. Must be faster ways and less expensive for the developer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:31 AM

New elevations...much better!

http://jbii.ca/projects/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:50 AM

I live across the street from this now, and my reaction is still ",meh".

However the area will still be nicer for it. Better than that strip club, and an empty lot. Plus the street could use some cleaning up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton