HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I just noticed that place the other. Knowing they have brisket has just moved i up on my places to try for lunch.
They only do the brisket on Fridays for some reason. Still, the rest of the menu is decent, definitely worth checking out.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
not a NIMBY

I just had lunch at Alloy which was fabulous but not cheap. The Alloy people are opening a new restaurant on 4th St SW this summer called Candella or maybe it is spelled Can Della. The menu will feature tapas. I think it is going in where Great Canadian Bagel and the UPS Store were at 20th Ave on the west side of 4th.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:08 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

kw, the management at Chocolate Bar hasn't changed. Same Iranian guy who owned it on my first and only visit in 2001. I see him there almost every day.

On La Paloma- tried to eat there a few weekends ago but they were closed. So we wen to Crossroads Market instead where the owners run El Mariachi Loco taqueria- they're from Chile but man do they know Mexican food. Best tacos I've had in Canada, no exaggeration.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I just had lunch at Alloy which was fabulous but not cheap. The Alloy people are opening a new restaurant on 4th St SW this summer called Candella or maybe it is spelled Can Della. The menu will feature tapas. I think it is going in where Great Canadian Bagel and the UPS Store were at 20th Ave on the west side of 4th.
I love Alloy. We all knew about the new restaurant going in the GCB (hahaha) and UPS location on 4th... I'm thrilled to hear it'll be the Alloy folks!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:58 PM

I hate to be the bearer of badnews, but it looks like Sushi Hibiki has shut down. Drove by today and the sign is gone, just checked their website and the 17th was their last day. I had plans to go there this Wednesday.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 7:28 PM

That sucks It's been on my "I have to go back there again soon" list for way too long.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:06 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I heard that Fuze on 4th went out of business already....that was quick. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I heard that Fuze on 4th went out of business already....that was quick. Can anyone confirm this?
It's been a couple months already, I think.

That location is jinxed...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:44 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Has anyone been to Paloma Mexican restaurant in the NE? You can get there by train and it is really good. I want to go back soon.
Yes my great friend/Frontier Metropolis Co-Founder lives in the NE so we checked it out for dinner the one day. The decor is very fun and bright, service was decent and food/prices were good as well. Nothing mind blowing but a decent Mex/South American restaurant. It has high "liking" % on Urbanspoon FWIW

*bonus: they get points for having a Frida Kahlo self portrait print on the wall

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:46 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of badnews, but it looks like Sushi Hibiki has shut down. Drove by today and the sign is gone, just checked their website and the 17th was their last day. I had plans to go there this Wednesday.
My best friend/roommate/your future Mazda Speed gang member will be sad to hear that

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
My best friend/roommate/your future Mazda Speed gang member will be sad to hear that
Funny you should mention that. The first crime I had plan was going for sushi and not paying.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 1:03 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. The first crime I had plan was going for sushi and not paying.
'tis a shame. my roommate LOVES sushi

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:30 AM

Not Calgary related but I'm going down to Potland, Seattle and the Oregon coast later this week and I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations for restaurants/pubs/breweries or even cool neighbourhoods to hit up?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:26 PM

Avenue's Best of Calgary is out. Great list - lots of spots to try

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/article...staurants-2012

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
Not Calgary related but I'm going down to Potland, Seattle and the Oregon coast later this week and I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations for restaurants/pubs/breweries or even cool neighbourhoods to hit up?
Um, Seattle see:
-the fremont troll
-pikes market
-the hideout http://www.hideoutseattle.com/
- Capitol Hill neighbourhood http://maps.google.com/?ll=47.621901...,345.6,,0,2.47

Portland
- There's sometimes street festivals on Alberta street (both Annual and monthly) http://albertamainst.org/whats-happening/street-fair/
- food trucks downtown
- breakfast at the Roxy Cafe
- rockabilly at The Garage
- craft brews at Deschutes Brewery (or one of a zillion other brewpubs)
- NW 23rd ave http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=portlan...,3.46,,0,-2.12
- N Mississippi Ave http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Mississ...195.26,,0,3.75

These are just random places I've gone, definitely not an extensive list.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I don't have any tips but asked a couple of friends that are ex-pat Buffalonians that have been living in Portland for the past few years.

here's what my female friend (who works in the service industry) had to say about Portland: "Cool neighborhoods: The Mississippi District, the Hawthorne district, Alberta Ave (mostly cool at night for bars).

Cool bars: The Shanghai Tunnel, Ground Kontrol (a full bar with old school arcade games, pin ball and stuff...very cool), Portland City Grill offers an awesome view of Portland, The Fish & Chip Shop has a TARDIS room...if they're into Doctor Who at all, its very cool, The Whiskey Soda Lounge

Cool restaurants: Le Pigeon (AMAZING food but pricey), Portland City Grill, Hungry Tiger Too, Toro Bravo, Tasty & Sons, Sunshine Tavern, Pok Pok, Podnah's (I could go on and on about food)"

hope that helps a bit

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Saw this last summer when I thought of going back there

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/28...tland-ore.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:01 PM
City of Blinding Lights

When in Seattle definitely, check out Umi Sake House in Belltown http://www.umisakehouse.com/
Great food! But the best part is that they do Happy Hour Sushi, which is a foreign concept to me. But it is a STEAL of a deal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:08 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
I don't have any tips but asked a couple of friends that are ex-pat Buffalonians that have been living in Portland for the past few years.

here's what my female friend (who works in the service industry) had to say about Portland: "Cool neighborhoods: The Mississippi District, the Hawthorne district, Alberta Ave (mostly cool at night for bars).

Cool bars: The Shanghai Tunnel, Ground Kontrol (a full bar with old school arcade games, pin ball and stuff...very cool), Portland City Grill offers an awesome view of Portland, The Fish & Chip Shop has a TARDIS room...if they're into Doctor Who at all, its very cool, The Whiskey Soda Lounge

Cool restaurants: Le Pigeon (AMAZING food but pricey), Portland City Grill, Hungry Tiger Too, Toro Bravo, Tasty & Sons, Sunshine Tavern, Pok Pok, Podnah's (I could go on and on about food)"

hope that helps a bit
my male friend chipped in the following "I basically agree with all of this, I would add horse brass on Belmont and moon and sixpence in Hollywood for pubs, bistro montage and biwa (both in SE) for restaurants, and kask and Clyde commons for bars."

have fun in the Pacific NW!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation