HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:44 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 1:50 PM
New Yorker for life

From pmarella

Note the Beekman rising into the skyline...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

This tower is going to look amazing from that angle. Great photo.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:40 PM
World Machine

Yes, Beekman and 30 Park Place are really going to help in bulking up and balancing that portion of the Downtown skyline. I do love though how the WFC and GS create a wall along the Hudson.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
This tower is going to look amazing from that angle. Great photo.
Hopefully we'll get 56 Leonard in that mix too.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 8:48 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hopefully we'll get 56 Leonard in that mix too.
Amen. I can't wait for these 4-6 weeks to find out if 56 Leonard gets financing. I'm Keeping my fingers crossed.

On topic: Considering how this is a condo/ apartment building is their a website that I could go to to take a gander at the spaces/floorplans/prices? I tried Googling but found nothing. BTW I'm moving back to Manhattan and I'd love to live in a work of art such as this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I believe there was a website, and I know this tower will be a rental.

Here we see the tower rising behind (and above) the Freedom Tower...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:56 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
Amen. I can't wait for these 4-6 weeks to find out if 56 Leonard gets financing. I'm Keeping my fingers crossed.

On topic: Considering how this is a condo/ apartment building is their a website that I could go to to take a gander at the spaces/floorplans/prices? I tried Googling but found nothing. BTW I'm moving back to Manhattan and I'd love to live in a work of art such as this.
Studios start at 4k. A 3 bedroom will cost you 10k a month.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:11 AM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 18, 2009

Rising above City Hall...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:48 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Studios start at 4k. A 3 bedroom will cost you 10k a month.
So then a 1 bedroom might be around 6k? I hope so. That would fit into my budget very well.

Thanks for the info, SternNY.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:59 PM
Brooklyn in the house!

According to Lower Manhattan info website, curtain wall installation begins in Feb. Can't wait to see that go up.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldie View Post
According to Lower Manhattan info website, curtain wall installation begins in Feb. Can't wait to see that go up.
That will be amazing to watc....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldie View Post
Welcome Baldie !

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:20 PM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 22, 2009

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks like 33 or 34 floors. ??

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:32 PM

so fast! yeah, it looks like 35 something like that....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

And it seems like only yesterday, this was still just a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:09 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_29...learncold.html

Students learn cold realities of construction work

Teens from the High School for Construction Trades, Engineering and Architecture in Queens toured the Frank Gehry-designed tower under construction on Beekman St. last week.

By Julie Shapiro
January 23-29, 2009

When it’s cold and windy in Lower Manhattan, it’s even colder and windier on the just-poured concrete floors of the rapidly rising Forest City Ratner tower on Beekman St.

Joe Rechichi, a senior vice president with Ratner, stood on the tower’s frigid 29th floor last week and surveyed the progress.
“It’s not easy building a tall building in Lower Manhattan,” he said.

Rechichi has to contend with narrow streets, ancient utilities and dozens of neighboring projects competing for resources. The biggest challenge on the project so far was to convert famed architect Frank Gehry’s wavy design for the 76-story building from an idea into an engineered construction plan. Every floor of the building is different, so workers have to rebuild the concrete forms for each floor.

“It’s tough,” Rechichi said. “But when it works, it feels great.”

The Beekman tower has the distinction of being one of the few private projects that is moving ahead despite the faltering economy. Forest City closed on $680 million in construction financing last March, which Rechichi said will cover the project all the way to its completion in 2011. The building will contain the K-8 Spruce Street public school in the base, likely opening in 2011, and high-end apartments above.

Shivering alongside Rechichi on the 29th floor last Wed., Jan. 14 were a dozen students from the High School for Construction Trades, Engineering and Architecture. The students usually learn about construction from their classrooms in Queens, but last week they traveled to Lower Manhattan to see work firsthand.

At least one of the 400 workers in the tower was not happy to see students on the site. As the group headed through the ground floor, past cement trucks that spin all day long, an angry worker strode in the other direction.

“The job stops because we got people on the job?” the worker said to no one in particular. “Get the [expletive] out of here.”

The students ignored him and crammed onto the hoist, a temporary elevator that runs along the exterior of the construction. As the hoist rose, jerked, then continued rising, several students peeked nervously through the slats to see glimpses of lower buildings falling away. One girl buried her face in a tall boy’s sweatshirt.

On the 29th floor, the students huddled around Rechichi, their hands thrust in their pockets. Where walls and windows will soon appear, there was only a swath of orange construction netting separating the students from the open air and sweeping views of the Brooklyn Bridge to the east and the Woolworth Building to the west.

After explaining how each layer of concrete rises over the one below it, Rechichi led the students down to the seventh floor, where he pointed out a plywood rectangle that would become a rooftop swimming pool. Another part of the seventh floor was filled with tall crates of the stainless steel curtain wall that will soon begin wrapping the building.

“In a few months, you will be seeing it from around the city,” Rechichi told the students.

Bob Harvey, acting executive director of the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, helped organize the tour, which also took students down into the depths of the pedestrian tunnel construction for the Fulton Transit Center.

“You don’t have to work out in the cold,” Harvey told the freezing students at the Beekman tower. “You can be an architect or an engineer.”

Amritpal Singh, 16, appeared to take the advice to heart. While warming up in a McDonald’s after the tour, he said he had planned to be a construction worker but was surprised to see the men outside on such a cold day.

“I want to be a manager now,” Singh said. “These guys out here were all red and cold. I want to sit in an office.”

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:31 PM

We never got to do anything cool like when we were in H.S.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Rechichi has to contend with narrow streets, ancient utilities and dozens of neighboring projects competing for resources. The biggest challenge on the project so far was to convert famed architect Frank Gehry’s wavy design for the 76-story building from an idea into an engineered construction plan. Every floor of the building is different, so workers have to rebuild the concrete forms for each floor.
That'w why I'm surprised with the quickness that this building has risen with. I thought it would take much longer to raise so many unique floors.

Quote:
“The job stops because we got people on the job?” the worker said to no one in particular. “Get the [expletive] out of here.” [/color][/b][/u]
classic New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive