HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:53 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:57 PM

Last edited by BlaineN; Jan 19, 2018 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:04 PM

Verve in East Village had its topping out ceremony today.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:22 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

What a great skyline!
Thanks Daemon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:52 PM

Nice work Daemon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:26 AM
That's what she said

The lighting is much better at that time if day than when pitch black.

By the way Daemon, keep up the good work

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:20 PM

The pics show construction, and are more on topic than a lot of the stuff that gets posted on here. I've removed the pics that don't show construction, and removed Suburbia's posts.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:36 AM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
They are just digging a hole currently. Webcam link below.

http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca...ncercentre.htm
This is awesome - will be good to watch this gigantic complex go up in real time. I have a feeling that it will take a bit longer than say: Brookfield Place?? The Bow??
Thanks much for the link up.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:16 AM

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

Quote:
Inglewood pushes back against 20-storey tower

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...rey-tower.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...rey-tower.html
Hmm not sure what to think about this one. That area could use some density but that sticks out like a sore thumb. Would be better if it were across the street with the existing midrise condos.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Hmm not sure what to think about this one. That area could use some density but that sticks out like a sore thumb. Would be better if it were across the street with the existing midrise condos.
Bad rendering maybe? It looks like a tower for giants.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:08 PM

Frankly, this idiotic comment from one of the locals now makes me 100% behind the project and I hope they make it bigger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron
"It's basically putting a large phallic symbol in the middle of a historic community,"

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Frankly, this idiotic comment from one of the locals now makes me 100% behind the project and I hope they make it bigger:
I agree. That location would be fine for a tall building. The traffic issues are also nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 10:44 PM

Nm

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:52 AM

Best photos to date. Nicely done Daemon.
Quote:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I agree. That location would be fine for a tall building. The traffic issues are also nonsense.
It's quite telling of how a few people in this city have vastly oversized influence and voice in deciding what gets built where. I can only conclude that "LJ Robertson, planning director for the Inglewood Community Association", has never actually seen a phallus, nor set foot in the area which he calls an 'historic neighbourhood', as this medium sized tower is to be built in the middle of what is currently industrial wasteland but well connected to roads and the future SEBRT.

While on the subject, that whole area does need a major reconfiguration. It has all the bones of a good community, but Inglewood/Ramsay seems to be stuck in neutral. There needs to be more intuitive access by road, and the railway needs to be grade separated.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
It's quite telling of how a few people in this city have vastly oversized influence and voice in deciding what gets built where. I can only conclude that "LJ Robertson, planning director for the Inglewood Community Association", has never actually seen a phallus, nor set foot in the area which he calls an 'historic neighbourhood', as this medium sized tower is to be built in the middle of what is currently industrial wasteland but well connected to roads and the future SEBRT.

While on the subject, that whole area does need a major reconfiguration. It has all the bones of a good community, but Inglewood/Ramsay seems to be stuck in neutral. There needs to be more intuitive access by road, and the railway needs to be grade separated.
LJ is a female. She comes across as someone who thinks she speaks for the entire community. I doubt too many people would consider that particular location to be anywhere near the heart of the community but they would consider it to be a prime location for a lot of density. If one of the city's goals is to have significant density along major transit corridors then why should that location be exempt? There probably should be a cluster of towers in that location. I don't see why they couldn't be positioned in such a way to minimize shadowing. As for the "overlooking" issue is she serious? The city is full of such situations. Is she afraid that these tower dwellers are going to perv down on her "historic" neighbors who no doubt live pure lives?

I agree with you about making road access into Ramsay more intuitive but good luck with the railroad stuff, especially in this case.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:59 AM

She doesn’t represent everyone in the community, but she represents those who actually care and those who have a clue about how good neighbourhoods are built. Good thing she and the community association are not listening to every Tom Dick and Harry who want a skyscraper up just so they can look at it from a far.
Quote:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_ting_on View Post
She doesn’t represent everyone in the community, but she represents those who actually care and those who have a clue about how good neighbourhoods are built. Good thing she and the community association are not listening to every Tom Dick and Harry who want a skyscraper up just so they can look at it from a far.
It's not a skyscraper, it's 60 metres. It will be a bit out of place, for now, but so what? It negatively impacts nothing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
It's not a skyscraper, it's 60 metres. It will be a bit out of place, for now, but so what? It negatively impacts nothing.
But so what you say? Obviously you don’t live in the area, and if you do it looks like you couldn’t care less about building density in a proper way. You just want a skyscraper to stare at. It’s this shortsighted mentality that makes suburban Toronto look the way it does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates