HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:42 AM

I worked in that red brick building (Hardward Building) for a few years--loved that building and its location.

Really dumb question that I'm embarrassed to ask--the white foam-looking blocks that are going into the base of all these TRAX projects--what is it, and what are the advantages to using that instead of some other fill material? Is it really just foam blocks? I don't need a treatise explaining it, but--what is it? My sons have asked me before and I usually make something up. I'd like to be more accurate in my next replies to their neverending construction questions.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 1:15 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I worked in that red brick building (Hardward Building) for a few years--loved that building and its location.

Really dumb question that I'm embarrassed to ask--the white foam-looking blocks that are going into the base of all these TRAX projects--what is it, and what are the advantages to using that instead of some other fill material? Is it really just foam blocks? I don't need a treatise explaining it, but--what is it? My sons have asked me before and I usually make something up. I'd like to be more accurate in my next replies to their neverending construction questions.

The giant white blocks are Geofoam. The major overhaul of I-15 in the late 90's introduced us to the concept of using Geofoam fills for infrastructure and UTA and UDOT have been using it on ramps ever since then.

The biggest advantage is that Geofoam does not settle like soil fills.

Video Link

You would think this video is from the late 80's ha ha ha.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:13 AM
Lurker

At the end of the first video they say the West Valley line could open as soon as 2013.

It's opening THIS YEAR!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:22 AM

Thanks for the links and the info--that's what I was figuring, but wanted to make sure I was making stuff up in the right direction.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 6:02 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I didn't get all the way through the second video, so I apologize if this is a repeat. Due to the light weight of the geofoam as mentioned in the Traxx video making it easier to maneuver it also results in much less overall weight on any utility systems that may gross under the construction area. for instance the City Creek diversion pipe under N. Temple Viaduct. Much less pressure means it's less expensive to build, with less reinforcement needed.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 7:29 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quarter 4, 2010:

Data here:
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Bus:

Commuter Rail:
FrontRunner: 5,400

Light Rail
City - Weekday ridership

1. Boston - 218,200
2. San Francisco - 153,300
3. Los Angeles – 145,400
4. Portland - 123,100
5. Philadelphia – 113,800
6. San Diego - 90,000
7. Denver - 65,900
8. Dallas - 65,100
(St. Louis – not in the report)
9. Salt Lake City - 47,300
10. Sacramento - 43,800

11. Phoenix - 40,300
12. Baltimore - 36,300
13. Houston - 34,600
14. San Jose - 31,100
15. Minneapolis - 30,100
16. Seattle - 24,700
17. Pittsburgh - 24,600
18. Buffalo - 21,000
19. New Orleans - 17,200
20. Charlotte - 14,100

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:30 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Ridership might drop here real soon if UTA goes ahead and starts raising up there rates like they talked about. ( Big mistake if you ask me ) The idea is to get more people to want to ride Bus/Traxx, not scare them away with higher prices.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:58 PM

The way gas prices are rising, even with the rate hike, riding public transit will still be the better deal. If gas prices continue to rise, ridership will go up.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 4:02 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I have to disagree, the price of gas has once again skyrocketed since the 4th quarter of 2010 (winter is usually the low point for gas prices and they increase in the summer, so we could be looking at $3.80 + again a gallon this summer again) Plus the fair increase is over the next 2 + years.

"Currently an adult fare is $2.25, which includes a .25 fuel surcharge. UTA wants to raise the base fare to $2.25 in May and change the fuel surcharge program so it only activates when gas goes above $4 a gallon then up it to $2.35 in April 2012 and again to $2.50 in April 2013." from ABC 4

If gas prices get to $5 a gallon by the end of 2012 as some have predicted, $2.35 is a screamin deal in my opinion. Plus the fuel surcharge when over $4, making it $2.60 at the end of 2012 and $2.75 in April 2013.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Mar 15, 2011 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 5:55 PM

There are many reports that $5.00 gallon gas will be the norm no later than next summer with $4.00 or higher by the memorial day this year.

I think it is great that the Jordan line and the West Valley line are set to come online this summer. The gas prices going up and the new lines opening, we will see a nice increase in usage as the lines will reach more riders who will want alternatives to high gas prices.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 8:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I don't know why you guys are always for higher taxes and higher price rates. What do you all do for a living that is making it stress free for you all? I know plenty of elderly and lower income families that have depend on UTA to get them around and they CAN'T afford these rate hikes. ( even if it's only 25 cents here 25 cents there. ) It doesn't matter if gas is going up also. We all seem to have the attitude that if big oil gets away with being greedy and raising their prices then hey so should we. The fact is EVERYTHING is going up. ( taxes, food, gas, ect. ) and all roads seem to lead back to greedy big oil. People these day have to stretch their paychecks more then ever. ( assuming that they are lucky enough to even have a paycheck. ) The timing for UTA to raise their rates is a bit odd. Do they really HAVE to raise their prices? Sure they are going to blame the raise of gas. ( everybody does. ) But I still think that at $4+ per gallon there will still be a ton of cars out on our roads. Most people will not ride trax or the buses just for the simple fact that there might be a station or stop near by their homes or work. I still think people ( out of the two options ) will pick their cars over UTA. IMHO.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 8:43 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I don't know why you guys are always for higher taxes and higher price rates. What do you all do for a living that is making it stress free for you all? I know plenty of elderly and lower income families that have depend on UTA to get them around and they CAN'T afford these rate hikes. ( even if it's only 25 cents here 25 cents there. ) It doesn't matter if gas is going up also. We all seem to have the attitude that if big oil gets away with being greedy and raising their prices then hey so should we. The fact is EVERYTHING is going up. ( taxes, food, gas, ect. ) and all roads seem to lead back to greedy big oil. People these day have to stretch their paychecks more then ever. ( assuming that they are lucky enough to even have a paycheck. ) The timing for UTA to raise their rates is a bit odd. Do they really HAVE to raise their prices? Sure they are going to blame the raise of gas. ( everybody does. ) But I still think that at $4+ per gallon there will still be a ton of cars out on our roads. Most people will not ride trax or the buses just for the simple fact that there might be a station or stop near by their homes or work. I still think people ( out of the two options ) will pick their cars over UTA. IMHO.
Sorry man, can't blame this one on taxes or density lovers or even big oil. It's called China and India getting cars. Gas prices are so high because the car companies got lazy during the 90's and didn't prepare for the storm to come. The good news is that America will innovate and make it so that our cars can go longer without being refueled with hydro carbons.

I do think higher prices will lead to more people taking the train; it is inevitable, but yes, there will be many who will not. Everyone seemed to adapt just fine to having the cable and satellite companies more than double their bills in the last decade. I don't see how this will be any different. People will either adapt to continue their routines or change their routine and adapt to a more sustainable life (for their particular situation). If old people and disabled people can't afford to sustain themselves living in the suburbs, they will simply move closer to town. Such is the nature of Capitalism.

We had the industrial revolution, we are balancing between that and the information age with computers, and now we will enter into an age of new kinds of energy. And hey, if Thorium Nuclear based power becomes the next big thing, Utah and Idaho will be on the cusp of its international success.

http://www.thoriumenergy.com/index.p...d=39&Itemid=62

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 8:50 PM
Lurker

UTA relies heavily on sales tax for revenue. The recession took a big hit on UTA because of this. There was also a decrease in food taxes not too long ago. Those factors plus the construction of three new lines leaves UTA with little option but to raise the fare.

Us Americans should be more appreciative of how low $4 or even $5 a gallon is compared to fuel prices of many other countries. Gasoline is approximately 3x more expensive in Europe than it is here! The US government spends billions of dollars annually towards gas subsidies and has low gasoline taxes.

...and of course people will choose their cars over UTA, this is the United States of 'Merica after all.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:42 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
At the end of the first video they say the West Valley line could open as soon as 2013.

It's opening THIS YEAR!!!
It's a public relations gig UTA has used for years. Unlike highway projects, which have highly-scrutinized timetables, LRT is easy going. Reminds me of highway projects in the 60s.

So UTA can pull any date they want. They always overshoot by about 2 years, so they can say they ended "two years ahead of schedule."

"Frontlines 2015" is actually intended to be finished by 2012.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 5:49 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think their time tables also take into account "worst case scenarios" for construction issues that they don't anticipate.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:17 PM

Looks like our prognostications from yesterday are already starting. According to the tribune:

"As gasoline prices started spiking, the Utah Transit Authority saw an 8 percent jump in ridership in the past two months compared to the same period a year ago — from 6.03 million riders in January and February of 2010 to 6.51 million riders combined in those months this year."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...month.html.csp

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 5:51 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
It's a public relations gig UTA has used for years. Unlike highway projects, which have highly-scrutinized timetables, LRT is easy going. Reminds me of highway projects in the 60s.

So UTA can pull any date they want. They always overshoot by about 2 years, so they can say they ended "two years ahead of schedule."

"Frontlines 2015" is actually intended to be finished by 2012.
Whatever it is I wished more Government Agencies finished projects on time or ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 9:32 PM

Gas Related Pricing

We don't pay the actual price for anything in our current society. It is all subsidized by Oil.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 10:55 PM

I came across something cool today:

www.mapnificent.net

It takes timetables from Google transit, lets you pick a location on the map, then shows you graphically where you can get by transit in a given amount of time.

Here are some maps for the Wasatch Front, all calculated based on a start point at SL Central Station:

15 Minutes:

30 Minutes:

45 Minutes:

In 60 Minutes, FrontRunner will get you as far as Ogden:

If you want to get to Provo, you'll need around 2 Hours:

Keep in mind that these were all done with a departure time of around 3PM.
I think that later in the evening, you could probably catch an express bus that would get you to Provo in less time.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:25 AM
Lurker

That is amazing! Now It should be even more difficult to study for midterms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West