HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 7:31 AM

The Canucks are playing well right now. They won again against the Avs (4-2), a team that we traditionally struggle against. If we keep playing the way we have for the next month, we may be getting hot at just the right time, and that's important when going into the playoffs. I hope that the Canucks go beyond the 1st & 2nd rounds - this city would be jumping if we move past the 2nd round! WOOHOO! However, i'll just be happy to have the Canucks in the playoffs this year (unlike last year, when they missed it, and melted down).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 8:32 AM

Yes they have been hot. And they have gained a lot of ground on the Flames who have been struggling as of late (lost 4 of last 5) and they still may have a shot at the division title. The Canucks are 5 pts back with a game in hand and have one more meeting with the Flames, so they still control their own destiny. (unless the Flames win every single one of their remaining games, because if they did it would actually be mathematically impossible for the Canucks to pass them (very unlikely though))

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:39 AM

Canucks won again! they set franchise record 9th straight win, and now they are on their 11th straight win at home ice. wow. that's incredible. i hope that they continue to win, and stay hot right into the playoffs, so that we have a long run in the postseason. is this the year that the vancouver canucks franchise finally wins the cup, when we got so ever so close back in 1994? i certainly hope so...

GO CANUCKS GOO!!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:05 AM
Registered Loser

^knock on some wood. NOW.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 8:22 AM

Canucks beat Calgary tonight. Got completely out shot but they beat em where it counts on the scoreboard: 4-1. I went to the game and it felt a lot like a playoff game. Hopefully the Canucks win their last two games and and the Flames only manage three or less pts in their final two. If this happens the Canucks take the division. GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 8:26 AM

the canucks won again tonight! 4-1 over the Flames, and we're now tied with calgary with 96 points, and a chance for the division lead. with the playoffs just around the corner. some canuck news with regards to prospects. canucks have signed two NCAA players in Evan Oberg, and Matt Walsky.

Found this from Canucks.com:

Here are the top ranked college FAs from McKeens:

1. Matt Gilroy, 6-2/195, D, Boston University
2. Tyler Bozak, 6-0/180, C, Denver Pioneers
3. John Mitchell, 6-5/200, LW, Wisconsin
4. Christian Hanson, 6-3/202, C, Notre Dame
5. Trevor Bruess, 6-0/192, C, Minnesota State
6. Evan Oberg, 6-2/180, D, Minnesota Duluth
7. Eric Walsky, 5-11/194, RW, Colorado College
8. Brad Thiessen, 6-0/180, G, Northeastern
9. Sean Backman, 5-9/170, C, Yale Bulldogs
10. Paul Crowder, 6-2 180, RW, Alaska Anchorage

Haven't heard much about any of these prospects, but getting two prospects out of the top ten ain't bad. Anyone heard about John Mitchell? Is he any good? Rumors are that Mike Gillis is pursuing Matt Gilroy.

I personally think that MG is doing a heck of a job with stocking the farm with prospects. I don't ever recall Dave Nonis or Brian Burke signing NCAA players (maybe I'm mistaken?) - but it seems like they're doing a lot of that right now with the Leafs. I like the direction that Gillis is taking. Sign more prospects, without trading the organization's young assets. things are looking good ^^ keep 'em prospects coming, MG!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 8:41 AM
Dérive-r

If Vancouver can win against LA and Colorado while the Oilers are able to beat the Flames in at least one of their two games I'll be a happy camper and super excited about the playoffs. Great outcome tonight at least.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 12:48 PM

And if they get into the playoffs, I'll jump back into the bandwagon and cheer them on! (i jumped off the hockey wagon way back during the lockout)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
And if they get into the playoffs, I'll jump back into the bandwagon and cheer them on! (i jumped off the hockey wagon way back during the lockout)
They are already in the playoffs X, you should probably just stay off the bandwagon.

Last nights game was superb. I've been to most of the home games this year and I'd say that was one of the louder regular season games so far this year. Regarding the shots, well they didnt really indicate the flow of the game which was far more even than the shots would make you believe. I think the two teams were even in terms of scoring chances, Bobby just stood on his head.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:35 PM

i'm not sure if i want the canucks to win the division title. i mean, it's nice, but that means we face a red hot goaltender in mason with the columbus bluejackets. then again, either way (if we finish #5 or #3), we'll face two inexperienced teams in the playoffs. can't buy experience, and we have a few players on the roster who have had those invaluable playoff experiences. i'm excited for the playoffs to begin! luongo (basing it on the one year he made it to the postseason) seems to elevate his play in the playoffs (1.77 GAA; record sucks, though 5-7).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:49 PM

^Looking at the standings, isn't there a possibility (albeit remote) that the Canucks could still finish 6th and face Calgary in the first round?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:12 PM

There sure is, albeit remote.

Vancity, Columbus has really cooled off lately, and is 4-2-4 in their last 10, whereas Chicago is on fire again at 7-2-1 in their last 10. I think I would definitely still take 1st in the division, secure home ice advantage and take my chances with a less skilled Columbus team than a dark horse in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:13 PM
Hello World

Winning the division is nice, but the best bet to win series 1 would be against Chicago. That's just what I think.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:46 PM
victory in near

canucks are playing some pretty scary hockey

ever since they did not even have a shot on goal vs. minnesota in the 3rd period and then went on a mini losing spree to cap it off with Luongo being peppered last night.

this type of play will not get them far in the playoffs. however, sundin is supposed to be the playoff master, so who knows.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
canucks are playing some pretty scary hockey

ever since they did not even have a shot on goal vs. minnesota in the 3rd period and then went on a mini losing spree to cap it off with Luongo being peppered last night.

this type of play will not get them far in the playoffs. however, sundin is supposed to be the playoff master, so who knows.
don't get your hopes up too high. i am expecting good things out of sundin, but not great things. i hope he proves me wrong.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 12:56 AM

If Sundin couldn't perform for the last few months, how could we expect him to perform during the playoffs??? It's not as if the game changes during the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:17 AM
Yellow Fever

Can any one tell me what happened to Kyle Wellwood's right eye? It looks like he'd got hit by a hockey puck or something.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:56 AM

Wasn't it in a fight? (Haha I know... Wellwood in a fight)

In other news, Canucks just beat the Kings 1-0, gaining us another 2 points. Depending on how the Flames do in the next two games against the Oilers, the Nucks could still pick up the divisional title. Not that I really want the Canucks to be third in the conference. I'd rather be facing the Blackhawks than Columbus. Plus, the Flames probably deserve the title more than we do.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:23 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
Not that I really want the Canucks to be third in the conference. I'd rather be facing the Blackhawks than Columbus.
Yes, the Nucks have better chance to beat the Hawks.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:08 AM

yeah. while i'd agree that the easier opponent would maybe be the 'Hawks, we all have to understand that anything can happen in the postseason. Chicago, while inexperienced, could very well beat us as well in the first round. The do have a goaltender who have won the Cup with Tampa Bay a number of years ago (was it 2004 against the Flames?) - Khabibulan (sp?). We can't be afraid of who we play, and in order to be the best, we've got to go through the best, right? Columbus has Steve Mason, and he'll probably win the rookies of the year award, but he's also pretty inexperienced. Luongo is playing very well. Either way (whether we face the 'Hawks, or the Blue Jackets), I think the 'Nucks are going to go past to the second round.

I am predicting, whether against Columbus or Chicago, we'll finish either off in 6 games. 4-2 Canuck win series.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation