HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
They were referring to the tallest hotel apparently because the next sentence says the Austonian is the tallest building. They also said "Federal Aviation Firm". What's that? All that aside, I took it to mean that the height of the spire was maxed out in relation to the height of the building per FAA rules.
Ahhh yes. That makes more sense now. Thanks ATX.

I REALLY just want to see this spire lit all the way up. It drives me bananas every time I drive up South Congress from work.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:48 PM
クラブトクヨ

From Austin Towers.net

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:58 PM

What the heck is that, a bridge? Did the designer have a few too many?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I like it, it's like looking down over a river, steam or creek which is what I suspect was the intent.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:45 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I like it, it's like looking down over a river, steam or creek which is what I suspect was the intent.
I agree, I think it’s going to be neat when complete.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:37 PM
Meh

I noticed the spire today from Slaughter Lane several miles east of I-35. That's almost 8 miles as the crow flies. When it's not cloudy the spire actually shows up pretty well. In overcast weather, like we're going into in winter, it might as well not exist since the sky is white and the spire is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
What the heck is that, a bridge? Did the designer have a few too many?
6th Street inspired?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:37 PM
Austinite

For a minute there I thought I was looking at a roller coaster.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:41 PM

Could this be why the opening is delayed, waiting for this walkway to be completed? I would imagine that want everything done and in its place, nice and shiny before opening the doors. At first I thought they might have had labor shortages on the interior finish out, and that perhaps Mattress Firm ran out of mattresses. I think this walkway bridge is going to be popular with the guests and tie into the creek very nicely. Despite my disappointment over the original design change, the Fairmont as a whole is turning out to be in a class by itself. Too bad it wasn't ready in time for the Grand Prix and the world wide attention it would have gotten.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
...perhaps Mattress Firm ran out of mattresses.
I don't think that would ever happen because there is always another Mattress Firm on the next corner.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Could this be why the opening is delayed, waiting for this walkway to be completed? I would imagine that want everything done and in its place, nice and shiny before opening the doors. At first I thought they might have had labor shortages on the interior finish out, and that perhaps Mattress Firm ran out of mattresses. I think this walkway bridge is going to be popular with the guests and tie into the creek very nicely. Despite my disappointment over the original design change, the Fairmont as a whole is turning out to be in a class by itself. Too bad it wasn't ready in time for the Grand Prix and the world wide attention it would have gotten.
This is little known but they had some pretty major damage from Harvey (their port a cochere collapsed); in addition to the standard construction delays, and legal disputes with their contractor.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 1:54 AM

Here's a recent Gensler news release with details about the spire and lighting posted on Manchester's website. This would be the source for that odd and journalistic fail Community Impact article about the spire.

http://www.manchesterfinancialgroup....t_10052017.pdf

From the article:

Quote:
The spire is comprised of galvanized and epoxy-painted cylindrical tube steel, and its 170-
foot height is the maximum allowed by the Federal Aviation Administration, according
to Gensler. The new crown can be lit any color, or an array of colors, and will begin being
programmed with various visual displays this week. As dusk falls, the spire will often be
illuminated with calm white lighting, which depending on the occasion, can be scaled from
subtle hues to dynamic applications of more than 15 million colors, including “chasing” light
displays, where the lights sequentially flash on and off.

Last edited by The ATX; Oct 15, 2017 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 7:01 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Here's a recent Gensler news release with details about the spire and lighting posted on Manchester's website. This would be the source for that odd and journalistic fail Community Impact article about the spire.

http://www.manchesterfinancialgroup....t_10052017.pdf

From the article:

So they will use those lights that ring around each segment as well as the floodlights depending on the occasion and the spire will have different colors. Wow 15 million and thank goodness the lighting on the roof will be changing. I can't wait.

After the stretch of dark blue, it was nice to see it lit green tonight.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:

So they will use those lights that ring around each segment as well as the floodlights depending on the occasion and the spire will have different colors. Wow 15 million and thank goodness the lighting on the roof will be changing. I can't wait.

After the stretch of dark blue, it was nice to see it lit green tonight.
"Chasing" light displays going up (or down) the spire in virtual every color in existence is just plain awesome. I hope they make use of that feature on a regular basis. So far I haven't noticed that feature being used yet.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:08 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
From Austin Towers.net
Man, that reflection messed with me. I was thinking for a second that there were two bridges that were going to connect over the road or something, and I didn't recall that in the plans....then I noticed that it was a reflection on the window! I was confused for a moment.

Edit: I also love that this isn't just a straight, plain-jane bridge across the road and creek. The curves make it truly unique, especially from above. I'm curious to see what it will look like from the ground once finished. Can someone post a rendering if they have it handy?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
At first I thought it was some kind of urban water slide - the angle perspective threw me off. A lot different than a straight walking bridge.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:51 PM

Just a thought, they could be waiting on the "fancy" visual displays until their opening in December.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Just a thought, they could be waiting on the "fancy" visual displays until their opening in December.
99.99% sure we won’t see the full extent of the light show until the grand opening.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
99.99% sure we won’t see the full extent of the light show until the grand opening.
Maybe, however I wouldn't be surprised if we did see something for F1. The hotel may not be open but they are gonna want to have some exposure. If they are programming this week then we will likely see some of the results.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:36 PM

Maybe this was mentioned already. But all those wires hanging down the side of the blank podium wall on Cesar Chavez turned out to be for vertical white LED lights. It looks pretty good. I suspect they can change colors as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe this was mentioned already. But all those wires hanging down the side of the blank podium wall on Cesar Chavez turned out to be for vertical white LED lights. It looks pretty good. I suspect they can change colors as well.
Saw that on my way in today. It's a definite improvement over a blank concrete wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin