HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 1:30 PM

It is well located to the randolph/south water street station that goes straight to Mccormick place, so in that regard the location isn't bad. But the building seems like architectural overkill given the location. A small portion of rooms will have any view at all of millenium park, and it will be quite obstructed. It is walking distance to michigan ave. and state st, though.

but hey, its their money, and i'm sure it'll look good from the other angles

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 1:57 PM

Location Location Location...it ain't about the view. As noted...in the letter it is close to Mag Mile, Millenium Park, 2 blocks from the El, State Street.... and right off the no-stop buses to the Convention Center. Location Location Location.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 2:46 PM

^Besides location. . . they can just change the building orientation 45 degrees off center and they'll have great views. . . or at the very least acceptible views given the tight program. . .

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 2:57 PM

The location is only really good for the conventioneers and for MP, but whatever, I don't have anything on the back of this pony. But it is the most obstructed development site in Chicago, as far as I can see. And if we're getting a 1,000-footer or so, I'd rather see it where it can make some impact.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 3:16 PM

I have been in the Park Millennium(across the street) numerous times and from the west side of the 26th floor the views are good. You are blocked from some of the view because of the Prudential and AON but you can see the Sears Tower and most of Millennioum park. To the south you can see the Hancock and the River. To the West you can get a direct shot down the river. Which is a great scene during sun set.

Yes, they could theoretically put the building somewhere else but lets not forget they purchased that lot for only 4 million a few years ago. I am sure the property itself is worth a lot more now.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw
The location is only really good for the conventioneers and for MP, but whatever, I don't have anything on the back of this pony. But it is the most obstructed development site in Chicago, as far as I can see. And if we're getting a 1,000-footer or so, I'd rather see it where it can make some impact.

2 blocks from Marshall Fields and Block 37. 2 Blocks from Chicago Theater and Oriental Palace, 3 Blocks from the start of Mag Mile, 3 blocks to the Goodman, 3 blocks to the lake, 2 blocks to the Art Institute, 1 block from the Cultural Center, 1 Block from Block 37 Arts Group.

The hotel...is in business to fill the rooms. Not build a building where it looks good.

Guess my point about this is. It is fine to say one is disappointed with the location because it will detract from the impact of the building....but to keep arguing that it is basically not in a good area...is not very broad minded.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 5:03 PM

And the building will affect the skyline. The only point where it will not affect the skyline is looking directly north in front of the Prudential

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 5:08 PM

Whatever the **** "broad-minded" is, I can properly count the number of blocks from this location to Field's. And to repeat, the immediate area is mere dead office towers. But I realize that most people here are hopeless fanatics who have never seen a skyscraper proposal they didn't like.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 6:00 PM

Far be it for the professionals (not me) to know where to put a hotel. Just as long as it is pretty...functionality seems to mean little to some on the forum.

Note....Fairmont and Hard Rock Hotel all in the same area. They all must be wrong?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 6:18 PM

I agree with some of the former posters. I think it is an odd location for such a hotel. The rest of Chicago's top hotels have very pretigious addresses on N. Michigan Ave, E. Lake Shore Drive, or other Gold Coast locations. I used to work out at the gym across the street and I can attest that the area has almost no street life or vitality after dusk. Clients where I used to work did not like staying at the Fairmont because of the location. Out-of-towners want to be able to step outside the hotel's front door and have numerous dining, shopping, and entertainment options. Has Milenium Park really done that much to change the character of th neighborhood? If I lived in Lakeshore East, I'd be stoked b/c I could imagine the hotel helping the area by encouraging new restaurants, retail, etc..

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 7:12 PM

I personally find this a silly debate. Mandarin Oriental is a very successful and prestigous chain of hotels. I think if they didnt feel the location would work they wouldnt have done this deal. I'll trust their opinion over any of ours.

What the hotel will do is bring more action to that area and hopefully a very solid architectual building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 7:16 PM

Perhaps...like the mayors office..these hotels see the potential for this portion of Michigan Avenue. One of the biggest reasons for Millenium Park was to jump start this exact area. Just in the 8 years I have lived here...that area has improved a lot. Glad we have business people and political leaders who see potential in areas that need some help. Lots and lots of positive changes happening there. With the development along the Central Michigan Avenue and east along the river and randolph...it his hard for me to comprehend anyone believing the area isn't improving......

FAirmont
Hyatt Regency
Swiss Hotel
Hard Rock Hotel

Are they all wrong?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 8:05 PM
Chaos Machine

I totally agree.

I also think the blocked views are less important to the Mandarin Oriental than the prime location, as well as the fact that the MO is a hotel heavily focused on customer service and pampering.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 8:36 PM

Chicago3rd, accuracy is not your strong point, as I suggested regarding your idea that the MO site is two blocks away from Field's. Now you compare this MO to the Swissotel, the Regency, and the Fairmont; the first two are on the river, and the third had direct lake views until quite recently. What does this comparison have to do with my central point, that there are no views at the MO site? Then you call the site "this portion of Michigan Avenue." I think no one would confuse it with Mich, even S. of the river Mich. Please refer to my google photo.

dvidler, it's specious of you to write, "I find this a silly debate," and then make an argument for why your opinion is correct. If the argument is silly... don't make arguments!

Pandemonious, you have an interesting opinion, but the facts don't seem to bear it out. The MO website mentions specifically the views of the NY hotel, to take one example, which is in the Time Warner Center. (The other MO NY, on the upper E. side, touts the urban setting. Can't make that case here, as trvl pointed out.) As I mentioned, you get some views, but not until you're some 40F above ground. Directly to the north and west you have the Illinois Center, 30-32 office floors, to the S you have two of Chicago's tallest buildings, and to the E you will have 2 x 70 at LSE.

Trvl makes the only arguments based on facts, not opinions. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 8:51 PM

My initial opinion on the potential views of this project is that although the views will not be perfect there will be views. I base this on being in the 26th floor of the Park Millennium across the street over looking the hole in to which this will be built. From that location I can see the Chicago River to the West, the Millennium Park to the South, and the Sears Tower to the Southwest.

But my last statement was true, and not specious as you say, because the MO company probably would know better than any of us on how to operate a hotel. And not only how to operate a hotel but where to put one. So we can argue all day and night about how good the views will be but its kind of silly to base the success of this hotel on the views from a building that doesnt exist.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 9:10 PM

Sounds like a bitch fight to me...you win.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 9:20 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

So how many more skyscrapers does Chicago need?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 9:25 PM
None...

^ thats like asking 'why did the chicken cross the road?' no one will ever know... oh wait, thats like asking which came first... the chicken of the egg

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 9:31 PM

^^ We only need a few more. I mean lets not be greedy.

And ditto to dvidler. Completely agree.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 11:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

quite the little hissy fit we had today.

an organization like MO wouldn't be interested in this site if they didn't think they could make a go of it.

and that's the only FACT that matters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive