HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They never planned an 11 storey hotel. They made renders of an 11 storey hotel when they put out the request for proposals. It just took 6 years to get a good enough proposal. I’m happy that the City will have a brand name hotel attached right to Credit Union Place.
Aren't they all renderings before they begin?🤔

Anyway, it would be better on the waterfront! At least it would be a start in bringing more people to the downtown area. Credit Union place is a little bit away from there.
I ask the question, why are they building it on to Credit Union Place? There are financial difficulties with the complex. The city still owes a huge amount of money on it. Lots of folks angry at the millions owed and lost. Just in the wrong area I think.
It should be built close to the Lloyalist Country Inn. Start to rebuild the downtown by attracting more people. Build up the core!!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
One way to solve climate change is to cut down on useless transportation. Opening a school in the middle of nowhere is a great example of how to not solve climate change. Awful idea, terrible waste of tax dollars.

Edit to add: beautiful building, though.
Exactly, what a counter productive idea. Let's save the planet by driving our gas guzzling vehicles all the way out the middle of nowhere to go to school!
Pop this on the campus and it would be incredible.
It's all because that's the minister's riding, leave it to politics to turn something good into a terrible idea.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:51 PM

I noticed concrete barricades have been placed around the old castle station (Euston/Queen). Any word if something might be happening here or if they’re simply just preventing people from parking in the lot?

Personally, I’d love to see the place turned into an old school diner.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I noticed concrete barricades have been placed around the old castle station (Euston/Queen). Any word if something might be happening here or if they’re simply just preventing people from parking in the lot?

Personally, I’d love to see the place turned into an old school diner.
what did that used to be again?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickle View Post
what did that used to be again?
Gas / service station. I believe Irving.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:37 PM

Early morning apartment fire in Charlottetown. Glad no one was hurt.
Two year old building is a complete loss.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...fire-1.5214558

Last edited by billy1; Jul 17, 2019 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:48 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post

What a shame. Such a nice building! I hope that all of those people have new stuff soon enough and find a new place!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
What a shame. Such a nice building! I hope that all of those people have new stuff soon enough and find a new place!
with the Charlotttetown vacancy rate being 0.2% the last I Saw, finding new accommodations for these tenants may be a challenge. The fact it is prime tourist season does not help either.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:04 AM

I could see the flames from the Hillsborough Bridge this morning as I crossed it, and the building was fully engulfed when I drove past it around 5:30am this morning. Was quite a scene! Glad that everyone was able to get out safely, and hopefully all (29 units/52 people I believe is what I read) are able to find at least temporary accommodations in the city.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:26 AM

Charlottetown council approves 3rd fire station

Charlottetown council has finally decided to have three fire halls in the city, but the third one may not be built where originally thought.

Council voted to move ahead with three stations instead of two at its monthly meeting Monday night

More here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...town-1.5204757

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:52 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post

A bit disturbing that a building geared towards seniors has no sprinkler system. 5 years ago, 32 seniors died in a fire at a seniors residence in Quebec with no sprinkler system.

Quote:
All 52 of the residents are seniors. One uses a wheelchair and many use walkers, but police and firefighters were able to get them out, some of them in their night clothes, before the fire spread.

[...]
He also said there is no sprinkler system beyond the basement parking garage.

"I believe the outcome would have been different if we had a sprinkler system throughout the building," MacDonald said.

The requirement for a sprinkler system in a residential building is based on the number of storeys, the type of construction and the building area.

Generally, a three-storey residential building is not required to have sprinklers unless it exceeds the building-area limits, officials with the city said in an email to CBC.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 11:54 AM

The sprinkler debate is one thing, but I think the first order of business should be a mulch ban within a set number of feet of a structure. Mulch looks nice, but it’s the same as pouring gasoline around a building and hoping for the best. It’s a highly combustible material, and should have been banned ages ago.

Last edited by TGK; Jul 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 10:00 PM

I noticed earlier today that there were landscaping crews at the Harley Street apartment buildings taking out all of the black mulch. It looked like they were focused on just whatever was right along the buildings.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxConstructs View Post
I noticed earlier today that there were landscaping crews at the Harley Street apartment buildings taking out all of the black mulch. It looked like they were focused on just whatever was right along the buildings.
Killam are removing the mulch from all of their buildings!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:35 PM

There was an exhibitor at the home shows demonstrating realistic-looking fake mulch made from recycled tires... not sure how much of a fire risk that would pose given that rubber, too, can burn. But it was neat.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
There was an exhibitor at the home shows demonstrating realistic-looking fake mulch made from recycled tires... not sure how much of a fire risk that would pose given that rubber, too, can burn. But it was neat.
Neat for sure, and an interesting take on recycling tires! (good interesting, not negative). I feel like there might be a better bio-degradable, critter friendly option out there. Definitely headed in the right general direction though!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I've used this stuff, it's great.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersideIslander07 View Post
Developers propose 7-storey apartment building for downtown Summerside

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...side-1.4963709
I was downtown on my bike tonight and the old burger King lot is cut off with a construction fence and tree cutting was taking place. I did not think anything was taking place this summer as two food trucks have set up at the front of the lot close to the waterfront. Has anyone heard that the city approved for this lot. Was it a 7 storey building?

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I was downtown on my bike tonight and the old burger King lot is cut off with a construction fence and tree cutting was taking place. I did not think anything was taking place this summer as two food trucks have set up at the front of th
e lot close to the waterfront. Has anyone heard hat the city approved for this lot Was it a 7 storey building?
Check the journal pioneer tomorrow, there will be an updated story on this project in the paper. That’s all I know at this point.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I was downtown on my bike tonight and the old burger King lot is cut off with a construction fence and tree cutting was taking place. I did not think anything was taking place this summer as two food trucks have set up at the front of the lot close to the waterfront. Has anyone heard that the city approved for this lot. Was it a 7 storey building?
I forget the exacts, but Island Coastal will be/is in there digging out starting Monday I believe, it's definitely a large apartment building though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces