HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:07 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
In classic LA fashion, a judge rules against Hollywood's new zoning plan and calls it "fatally flawed".

NIMBYs Win Battle Against Transit-Friendly Hollywood Growth
So, from what I've gathered, the city is going to have to re-approve the plan, right? It's not so much a crushing blow as much as simply a big delay.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:33 AM

yeah youre right they have to start the approvals process again, unfortunate big delay though

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Are referring to the stumpy, seven story, stucco latrines that are so prevalent in our dense DTLA?
Isn't it Paris, France that has a 7-story height limit in the historic part of the city? Is that where that idea comes from? The Asians are in love with the number 8, I'm surprised, with the number of Asians in L.A., they're not going up to 8 stories! And all Asians on the 8th floor, and none of the 4th floor, as they're superstitious about the number 4.

All our newer hotels in Vegas, catering to Asians, have no 4's in the elevators! Don't be deceived by staying at the Palazzo, claiming there's 64 floors, there's only 54 floors. Look at the buttons in the elevator! 37, 38, 39, then? 50, 51, 52! No 4's!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 7:01 AM

Just when we thought that Hollywood would develop into a city center like century city. We get slapped in the face. there's still hope though. This is just a setback. Hollywood has all the potential of being L.A.s next big city center. Its already pretty much set up for it, along sunset blvd... From Cuhenga Blvd/ vine Blvd and pushing towards the 101. that would be an AWESOME location for a new city center. makes perfect sense. especially with the current proposals and current construction, it was money in the bag. still hopeful.... But having its location.... being that close to the hills and the other neighborhood nimbys who feel Hollywood should stay "classic" while other parts of L.A. explode into city centers like santa monica, century city, mid Wilshire and etc..... Hollywood may be left in the dust in the long run trying to catch up to the rest of the city. But as one generation of thinking fazes out... and the new generation, my generation, fazes in... the future looks bright. Hell even Long Beach is in the process of revamping its downtown. Wake up Hollywood. get it together. Don't let a little group of people revert you back to how you were in the 80s and 90s.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:01 PM
BANNED

time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime. too many regressive ass backwards people here, too many barriers to progress. every attempt at taking a lead flounders eg mass trans, bike sharing, rezoning, "LA is going to be the next great -insert blank"

Last edited by edluva; Dec 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:20 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime, if ever. too many ass backwards people are running things here
Hey, at least you put your money where your mouth is, and are actually going to move.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime. too many regressive ass backwards people here, too many barriers to progress. every attempt at taking a lead flounders eg mass trans, bike sharing, rezoning, "LA is going to be the next great -insert blank"
Good. Now if we could only get the other clowns to move. LA would be a much better place.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Good. Now if we could only get the other clowns to move. LA would be a much better place.
what? you mean the brain drain is good for LA? doubt it. there's already a shortage of talented people as it is

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
what? you mean the brain drain is good for LA? doubt it. there's already a shortage of talented people as it is
Then leave duke. No harm no foul. The world is a big place and I'm sure there are plenty of cities that has everything you want.

I wish you the best. :-)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:14 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I guess in this scenario you're representative of the talented people, and we L.A. loving plebeians are the unwashed, ignorant masses L.A. deserves?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Just when we thought that Hollywood would develop into a city center like century city. We get slapped in the face. there's still hope though. This is just a setback. Hollywood has all the potential of being L.A.s next big city center. Its already pretty much set up for it, along sunset blvd... From Cuhenga Blvd/ vine Blvd and pushing towards the 101. that would be an AWESOME location for a new city center. makes perfect sense. especially with the current proposals and current construction, it was money in the bag. still hopeful.... But having its location.... being that close to the hills and the other neighborhood nimbys who feel Hollywood should stay "classic" while other parts of L.A. explode into city centers like santa monica, century city, mid Wilshire and etc..... Hollywood may be left in the dust in the long run trying to catch up to the rest of the city. But as one generation of thinking fazes out... and the new generation, my generation, fazes in... the future looks bright. Hell even Long Beach is in the process of revamping its downtown. Wake up Hollywood. get it together. Don't let a little group of people revert you back to how you were in the 80s and 90s.
It's a set-back, but it's not like Hollywood doesn't have a ton of construction underway and in the planning stages. And maybe the way they went about getting this pushed through was "flawed" even if the plan itself isn't - just shows it does not pay to cut corners (especially in a hostile environment like Los Angeles).

I read the plan and don't see the big fuss against it - there were only a few areas on the plan that allowed for tall buildings. I think a great deal of its critics just read summarizing articles which misinterpreted the plan. I am most disappointed because the plan did do a good job of preserving historic low-density areas and called for increased pedestrian amenities. Personally I don't think Hollywood should become the next Century City, that kind of height would be out of place - but I don't recall that kind of height being allowed under the current plan.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 9:40 PM
Paramoderator

In happier news, the OMA project in Santa Monica is back on the table, and with more housing units to boot!

My only question with the Hollywood delay is, how will this affect the projects currently under construction? Are those going to be grandfathered in?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
In happier news, the OMA project in Santa Monica is back on the table, and with more housing units to boot!

My only question with the Hollywood delay is, how will this affect the projects currently under construction? Are those going to be grandfathered in?
that would seem to be the logical answer, but who knows. Great news about the OMA project but the 2017 groundbreaking date is so infuriating.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I guess in this scenario you're representative of the talented people, and we L.A. loving plebeians are the unwashed, ignorant masses L.A. deserves?
I'll just leave this here.

Dunning-Kruger effect

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 9:54 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
that would seem to be the logical answer, but who knows. Great news about the OMA project but the 2017 groundbreaking date is so infuriating.
I believe the article says groundbreaking by 2017, so technically, the project could enter construction sooner. I think the biggest issue is the existing businesses and building on the site.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Then leave duke. No harm no foul. The world is a big place and I'm sure there are plenty of cities that has everything you want.

I wish you the best. :-)
You'll be the guy yelling 'keep smiling' as the building is burning down around you.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Blvd 6200, Sunset Gordon, Columbia Square, etc. were approved before the adoption of the Hollywood Community Plan, so the judge's ruling shouldn't affect them. Unfortunately, it does mean that it will continue to be difficult to get similar projects approved for at least the next several years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
You'll be the guy yelling 'keep smiling' as the building is burning down around you.
You'll be the guy that actually burned the building down because it didn't fit your criteria for a true urban walkable building or something nitpicky like that. Haha.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:00 AM

It's just one judge's opinion, there might be appeal options.

Quote:
Planning Department Director Michael LoGrande said he and other planning officials were "disappointed" by the ruling and "will be discussing our appeal options" with the city attorney.
http://www.dailynews.com/government-...t-in-hollywood

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No, I should have qualified brain drain to mean the skilled or educated class - the class of people who are most likely to make LA a better looking, more progressive, wealthier city. Don't get me wrong, there's still some vindication in size alone. Size means that LA has great stuff but you have to cut through a ton of lameness to find it. Other cities "get it" and are more consistently awesome.

So I'm no attacking our forumers perse, nor am I putting myself up high - I am an average guy with some privilege - highly educated, highly paid, and work in an industry with a really small footprint in LA (as most skilled labor tends to have here). I would like to see more educated people here; the kind of people who have a greater appreciation for urbanism, architecture, transit, etc. The kind of people who are more apt to "get it" as well. The kind of people who, in proportionately greater numbers, push the city to standards we all secretly know we want LA to meet. Every city has a prevailing vibe or culture. LA punches way below its weight for a city and it thinks small. That seems to be the theme here. Talks of ambitious projects falling to petty NIMBYism (see latest), small-time architecture, easy to impress public, failed great-fanfare bike plans, things being poorly conceived or carried out, unprofessionalism in general. The city of two steps back. The city of low capability. It just feels relatively easy to be a big-shot here.

yeah, the failed hollywood plan was a disappointment. we can't even get a fucking plan in hollywood. but we have continental crosswalks and somebody considers union station to be "great". Sorry, but I am not impresssed.

Last edited by edluva; Dec 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations