HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
World Machine

Not sure as to who is actually financing the project, but as I read, a portion of the building hasn’t been fully financed. I believe it’s the hotel. Regardless, I’m sure they are close to sealing whatever deal remains.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
^ That and the longer they hold off on releasing anything, the less time any anti-Tower Verre types have to bitch and whine.
From what I heard they wouldn’t have a case. You have to imagine though, that even though a rendering hasn’t been released, the height figure would trigger any and all opposition from them.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Supposedly, this is the site of the other tower by the same developer near to this one.

kzny2ck

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

Thanks. At least the foundation appears complete. I imagine when the rendering is released, the excitement about this one will jump a few notches...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 5:52 AM
Salut tout le monde!

View from my hotel

April 2009

April 2010

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:09 AM

Hey Sandy !
So, you went to New York again ... very close to the action.
The site has changed a lot over a year. It'll get even more interesting next time !

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 8:18 AM
Salut tout le monde!

Hi Fabb !

Yes ! I just can't imagine not going there each year!
The site has changed, but I always stay in the same hotel and it seems to me a long time, about 2 or 3 years, since the old building has been destroyed.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
View from my hotel

Excellent views. Looks to be about 60 ft deep.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 2:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quick and dirty panorama of Sandy's shots:

Is anyone else put off by how quickly the green water of stagnation has set in?

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 2:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
It happens. Excellent stich...

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 3:27 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

I'm curious as to why the design for this is being kept under wraps? If they're this far into constructing the foundation they have to have a mature design, so why not release a render?

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 9:04 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Wow Sandy, you were fortunate to have the same view twice within a year. Great comparison. You should be back in another year from now.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 9:16 PM
World Machine

Looks all set and ready to go once the last of the financing is locked in.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
BANNED

An article in a rag that's notorious for misinformation (I think it was the NY Post ) stated that there was not a construction loan. However, I believe that the Abu Dhabi group provided construction financing.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
Salut tout le monde!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Quick and dirty panorama of Sandy's shots:

Good!

I was a little bit lazy on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Wow Sandy, you were fortunate to have the same view twice within a year. Great comparison. You should be back in another year from now.
Sure, I will be back! I'll be the only tourist asking for a room with a construction site view!!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Sure, I will be back! I'll be the only tourist asking for a room with a construction site view!!
lol, a spy on his mission. btw thanks for the pics!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 3:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
An article in a rag that's notorious for misinformation (I think it was the NY Post ) stated that there was not a construction loan. However, I believe that the Abu Dhabi group provided construction financing.
Not actually. Abu Dhabi's investment in the project was reported in this thread also.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....711179852/1051

The quote you mistake for the NY Post was actually from Crains...(a few pages before this one)
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TE02/100409964

Quote:
On West 57th Street near Carnegie Hall, he recently started work on a mixed-use tower even though he has yet to line up an all-important construction loan. Mr. Barnett insists the money will flow for a project that will offer an exceptional location, world-class amenities, and a design by noted French architect Christian de Portzamparc.

“It is going to be a gift to New York,” says the undeterred Mr. Barnett.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not actually. Abu Dhabi's investment in the project was reported in this thread also.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....711179852/1051

The quote you mistake for the NY Post was actually from Crains...(a few pages before this one)
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TE02/100409964
I had read the article on Curbed last November. I assume that their cash infusion correlates to a construction loan. Abu Dhabi has unlimited money, and therefore, could fully fund this project. I doubt that they would invest significant funding in a project while a developer fumbles around for a year or more searching for a traditional bank loan.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 4:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Abu Dhabi has unlimited money, and therefore, could fully fund this project. I doubt that they would invest significant funding in a project while a developer fumbles around for a year or more searching for a traditional bank loan.
Whatever the case may be, they are currently awaiting construction financing. That they don't have it yet is the only reason you don't see more activity at the site. All construction permits are in place. When they get funding and a hotel secured, we'll see things pick up at the site, maybe even a rendering.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/ny...6building.html

Building a Tower of Luxury Apartments in Midtown as Brokers Cross Their Fingers

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
May 25, 2010

Quote:
Gary Barnett, one of New York City’s most prolific developers, is about to start construction of a $1.3 billion skyscraper on 57th Street that will overtake Trump World Tower as the tallest residential building in the city.

The tower, designed by the French architect Christian de Portzamparc, will rise 1,005 feet above 57th Street east of Seventh Avenue, feature striking views of Central Park and house what Mr. Barnett hopes will be 136 of the most expensive and luxurious apartments in the city. A 210-room Park Hyatt hotel is to occupy the first 20 floors, hotel analysts say.

“We’re going vertical in the next three weeks,” said Mr. Barnett, chief executive of Extell Development. Sounding a little like the developer he is one-upping, he said, “We think it’ll be the nicest project ever built in New York.”

The project is the first major construction start in New York since the fall of Lehman Brothers in September 2008, and it is an ambitious, even risky undertaking. Unemployment still hovers at 10 percent in the city, which has only just begun to gain back some of the 150,000 jobs lost during the recession. Not so long ago, the real estate industry was right behind Wall Street and the nation’s automakers in crying for a federal bailout.

...Hersha Hospitality Trust has bought four Manhattan hotels since January for $200 million. In recent months, SL Green, the city’s biggest commercial landlord, bought two office towers for a total of more than $500 million. And three developers are vying for a minority stake in 1 World Trade Center, which, upon its completion (scheduled for 2013), will the city’s tallest skyscraper.

All these tentative signs of recovery could be extinguished by another downturn. But many are poised like sprinters for the starting gun on the next real estate bull market.

“There’s a lot more activity,” said Stephen M. Ross, chief executive of Related Companies, a prominent developer. “It’s not doom and gloom anymore.”

Mr. Barnett said his project would be completed in 2013, in time for what he expects will be a booming market. The foundation for his tower, which will stand opposite Carnegie Hall and be called Carnegie 57, is complete.

With banks still largely unwilling to lend money for large projects, Mr. Barnett went to Abu Dhabi for partners and financing. The Tasameem Real Estate Company, controlled by the government, bought a stake in the project two years ago. More recently, a related company, Aabar Investment, agreed to provide financing.

By the time the tower opens, Mr. Barnett said, there should be a “dearth” of spacious ultraluxury condominiums. It will loom nearly 500 feet over the Essex House and its rooftop neon sign, giving residents panoramic views.

He said the apartments should command prices comparable to or better than those at 15 Central Park West, a celebrity magnet that has attracted the likes of Sting and Alex Rodriguez and where apartments sell for $6,500 a square foot and more.

“If you can find the money, it’s a great time to be in development,” Mr. Barnett said. “We’re not back to the highs of 2007 yet, but we see things picking up substantially.”

Currently, Extell is building or completing five residential buildings on the West and East Sides with a total of 924 apartments. The company also plans to build a 54-story, 487-room hotel on West 45th Street, near Avenue of the Americas, but his 34-story Gem Tower, which is to house dealers in the Diamond District, has come to a temporary halt.

...Still, many brokers and developers take heart from the fact that apartment buyers are back in the market. Pam Liebman, president of the Corcoran Group, said the number of apartments under contract jumped 81 percent in the first quarter of this year, compared with the same period in 2009; it was lower, however, than during the peak in 2007.

In an industry where many believe that perception is reality, landlords, developers and real estate investors are now “up-talking” a market that they had been “down-talking” a year ago, as if a turnaround could be prompted by sheer force of will.

“There’s a palpable optimism in the market right now,” said Robert A. Knakal of Massey Knakal Realty Services, a real estate sales broker.

No private developer is going to start building a speculative office tower anytime soon, but landlords and developers say the Midtown market is on the verge of a turnaround, even though the office vacancy rate is a daunting 14 percent. Effective rents, which had fallen by as much as 45 percent, are now inching upward, at least for first-class space, and concessions are shrinking.

Also, there are few large blocks of vacant space available in Midtown. And, brokers say, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Bank of New York Mellon and Société Générale are each looking for at least 400,000 square feet. This is interpreted as a sign of confidence in the future, since banks and other corporations were fearful of making commitments a year ago.

“We believe that the New York City commercial office market is finally turning the corner after a few difficult years,” Marc Holliday, chief executive of SL Green, said this month after the company added two office buildings to its portfolio.

Mr. Barnett said nothing short of a catastrophe would stop his project. “We believe in New York City,” he said. “People are always going to want to live here.”

Of course, now Donald Trump will probably come back with the "nicest ever built" of his own...

Quote:
“We’re going vertical in the next three weeks,” said Mr. Barnett, chief executive of Extell Development. Sounding a little like the developer he is one-upping, he said, “We think it’ll be the nicest project ever built in New York.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive