HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
[...]Westjet have always been good to me l
Must be nice being under 6' tall and being able to actual sit in the ridiculously small seat pitch WestJet thinks is humane.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:02 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Must be nice being under 6' tall and being able to actual sit in the ridiculously small seat pitch WestJet thinks is humane.
Bwhahahaha. I have to say, I don't fly Westjet all that often. I try to book AC as much as possible. Westjet has incredibly cramped seating and I HATE having three people in a row. It makes it very uncomfortable. Plus, AC has movies which, to be honest, is a big sell for me. Oh, and Cory- I'm 6"5. I get it. LOL

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:

I'm 6'1". The old jets are a problem but manageable. In the new jets with the slimline seats I have about 4" of extra room.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Bwhahahaha. I have to say, I don't fly Westjet all that often. I try to book AC as much as possible. Westjet has incredibly cramped seating and I HATE having three people in a row. It makes it very uncomfortable. Plus, AC has movies which, to be honest, is a big sell for me. Oh, and Cory- I'm 6"5. I get it. LOL

I prefer the Internet which both airlines now have on select flights.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Their pitch is tight but I find I can handle any short flights without much trouble. On longer flights I make sure to wear my eating pants.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:54 PM

^ I'm 6'2" and I can't say that I find one economy seat to be noticeably worse than the other... I do find the low headspace and overall cramped feeling in the small regional jets to be annoying, though.

My personal favourites flying out of Winnipeg is AC's Airbuses or WestJet's 737s. They have that "big" feeling, and the inflight entertainment is good on both. AC's are nice for those rare (for me) but welcomed upgrades too. I can live with the E190s that AC uses to Vancouver. They actually feel a lot like the Airbus despite being a regional jet.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
I'm 6'1". The old jets are a problem but manageable. In the new jets with the slimline seats I have about 4" of extra room.
Seat Pitch is the measure from the back of the seat in front to the rest on the back and is the same across a carriers line of aircraft regardless of time of seat used. That would mean the slimline seats don't have any extra space. The big benefit is they take up less space allowing airlines to fit in more seats. Additionally, the seats weigh less meaning the airline saves on fuel.

I am 6'4" and on the 31 seat pitch WestJet currently uses in economy I can still physically fit into the seat but there is almost zero space left from my back to my knee and that is before the person in front attempts to recline their seat reducing my leg room. The problem is there seat isn't moving as I have essentially braced their seat into its upright position and short of them applying enough pressure to snap my thigh bone the seat won't recline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:02 PM

The idea of the internet on planes is great, and very good for business people. I was annoyed though when I payed $15 for internet on an AC flight and when I went to watch a YouTube video found out any sort of streaming was blocked. Annoying and useless (for me).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Seat Pitch is the measure from the back of the seat in front to the rest on the back and is the same across a carriers line of aircraft regardless of time of seat used. That would mean the slimline seats don't have any extra space.
I flew with the older seats from Laguardia to Pearson, and with the new seats from Pearson to Richardson. I'm telling you, there's a massive difference in terms of leg room.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 10:06 PM
Heart of the Continent

Way better south vacation options this year:

http://www.waa.ca/flights/airlines/sun

But the prices, overall, are crazy for when I can go in February.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Way better south vacation options this year:

http://www.waa.ca/flights/airlines/sun

But the prices, overall, are crazy for when I can go in February.
Who operates the Celebrity Cruises weekly direct to Miami?

That Fort Lauderdale weekly WS flight seems popular among the cruising set too. It would be nice if it became a little more frequent... even a 2x or 3x weekly flight would offer some more flexibility. I see Sunwing is offering one too for the peak winter vacation season.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

We checked the prices to Phoenix in February too, they are expensive all right. But staying there is usually free as everyone knows someone who winters in Phoenix.

A once weekly flight to and from St. Lucia would be terrific.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:50 PM
BANNED

I had no idea we have direct flights to Miami

Sweet

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
We checked the prices to Phoenix in February too, they are expensive all right. But staying there is usually free as everyone knows someone who winters in Phoenix.
The key to flying to the States is to stay on top of the US carriers' deals.

Google Flights is showing a lot of dates in Feb for around 400-425 a person return, which is not bad for Phoenix. Not nonstop flights as with Westjet, but to save over a couple hundred bucks a head I'd happily stop in ORD, MSP or DEN for an hour or two.

Check it out: www.google.ca/flights/explore

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Not going on a milk run just for a few days. Has to be direct.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:26 PM

^ Then you gotta pony up!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Mo' money.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:

Flights to Cuba are in the $1000 range. Mexico can be as high as that, but isn't bad. The problem there is the resorts.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Thanks, but not looking to go tropical, just cheap! I would not go any "northern" destinations like Cuba or Mexico anyway, too chancy weather wise. I have been doing my tropical travels to St. Lucia where it has never been cold.

Looking to just go to Phoenix as it is probably my sis in laws last year as she in aging out of snowbird.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Thanks, but not looking to go tropical, just cheap! I would not go any "northern" destinations like Cuba or Mexico anyway, too chancy weather wise. I have been doing my tropical travels to St. Lucia where it has never been cold.

Looking to just go to Phoenix as it is probably my sis in laws last year as she in aging out of snowbird.

Sorry, I was just commenting on the crazy prices this year. My brother booked Cuba though, and I don't want to go, so I'm off the hook and can go on my own in early January.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan