HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Kind of a deceptive conjecture as the economic impact of areas is also important. For example, the Bay area is not in the top 10 but it obviously has more 'economic impact' than much bigger Phoenix. Same could also be said of Boston vs Phoenix. It might be better Consolidated metros, which would produce a different top 10 list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

If you look at that list, I could see Philly dropping out of the top 10, Cleveland and St Louis out of the top 20, and a new CSA of Austin-San Antonio in the top 20, joined in the top 20 by either 2 of the 3 - Columbus, Las Vegas, and Raleigh-Durham. Orlando and Tampa may also be combined as a CSA and reach be close to the top 10 (they are only 85 miles apart).
We are talking about City sizes we werent talking about MEtro's or CSA's thats a different list

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:25 PM

Austin and San Antonio won't be an MSA any time soon.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:44 PM

I should say we were talking about the official MSA counts.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Most populations are skewed towards navigable waterways weather thats a port or a navigable river but also they will locate at the center of an agricultural region and/or at major trade/transportation hubs.

I agree.

Transportation hubs are a main component of population centers. And in that respect an inland location like Atlanta is not different than most places.

In addition to navigable waterways also to be considered as development for a transportation hubs are the more modern modes of transport: the railroad, airport, roadways. Atlanta was born of the railroad and grew thusly and then propelled even further with air travel and roadway networks.

Last edited by L41A; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:27 PM

I think the Richmond, VA area, particular the northern fringes ( i.e. I295) have potential for growth. This will be mostly driven by the need for affordable housing for people who work in the Washington DC area. Although traffic can be a hassle it a straight shot up I95 and 100 miles away from I495. Not an easy commute, but still within range.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
I think the Richmond, VA area, particular the northern fringes ( i.e. I295) have potential for growth. This will be mostly driven by the need for affordable housing for people who work in the Washington DC area. Although traffic can be a hassle it a straight shot up I95 and 100 miles away from I495. Not an easy commute, but still within range.
Given that DC has barely sprawled to Fredericksburg, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
100 miles in traffic sounds like a hellish commute to me. What are the rail links like between DC and Richmond?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
If you work anywhere between 495 and DC there would be no way this would be possible. The worst traffic on 95 would be after 495 heading south during afternoon rush hour. The traffic within the confines of the beltway seem to be less intense.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
100 miles in traffic sounds like a hellish commute to me. What are the rail links like between DC and Richmond?
Amtrak. I took it from Norfolk to DC and it was about 4 hours. Norfolk's route to Richmond is really weird and out of the way, so I would say Richmond to downtown DC would be somewhere around 2 - 2 1/2 hours plus about 80 dollars round trip.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions