HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:51 PM

Here are the zoning plans for the only part of the city that has room to grow (the land east and southeast of the airport extending to Hwy 401). It's expected about 20,000 people will eventually live in this area as it is developed over the next few decades. Also note the proposed extension of Lauzon Parkway to form a new interchange with Hwy 401.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 3:33 PM

Nice post Blitz. I have seen some diagrams of the Lauzon Parkway extension and I know The star just recently did an article talking about the future of those lands. You know what I think the sad thing is? Those lands will probably be more quickly developed than any kind of urban intensification happening in Windsor's downtown. This city and county have issues with building up density and instead just choosing to sprawl and it feels like its just killing the fabric of this city & county.

There is a really good local blog site from Windsor that always has great blogs about the city and how we could improve it by creating things like walksble neighborhoods, it's a very good blog site with a good amount of archived blogs talking about the city. Recently they did a blog about the Windsor Star article on this very parcel of land.

http://www.scaledown.ca/

Here's there most recent blog talking about Windsor's future and that chunk of land.

Quote:
For some reason, our fair city seems to believe that we’re special.  That the lessons learned on other cities for some reason do not apply to us.

The people behind Strong Towns have written extensively about how our current patterns of growth are akin to a Ponzi Scheme.

Other municipalities have chosen to address this issue, paving the way to planning reform and the way cities build and finance their infrastructure.

Yet, here in Windsor, we ignore the fact that we cannot afford our current infrastructure inventory (when’s the last time YOUR pot-hole ridden road was resurfaced, or YOUR basement has flooded?!?).  We seem to still be under the illusion that, if we can only build more subdivisions and widen more roads, somehow our property tax base will grow to the point of sustaining itself.  What’s that definition of insanity, again?

I bring this up because of the article in todays Windsor Star on the Windsor South Sandwich DRAFT Secondary Plan.  Using pleasing vernacular like “Walkable Neighbourhoods” and referencing established communities like the Walkerville neighbourhood, the city is trying to make this new development appear to be something different, better than what we’re used to.

Yet, despite this wonderful new growth being planned, our current citizens are constantly under pressure to reduce their civic spending to compensate for this unsustainable growth.  We are privatizing core services, costing local jobs.  We’re having our local amenities consolidated in far-flung “big-box” municipal-service zones.  We are doing this because we cannot afford what we have, yet we are under the illusion that we can still build our way out of our economic doldrums.

The fact still remains that our current growth patterns are unsustainable.  Current patterns of development costs more to maintain over the long run than it produces in revenue.  We are continuing to dig deeper, despite the organizations out there sounding the alarm.

This is a deep-seated structural flaw in our civic mindset.  It’s time our municipal leadership started to question the Ponzi mentality governing Windsor.  I urge you to pass along Strong Town’s research to your ward councillor.  They need to hear this loud and clear.

Last edited by Symz; Nov 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 3:51 PM

I notice that one of the planned 'community Cores' near the current Concession 8 and the Walker Rd. 401 interchange is also near where the new jail is going up. doesn't that seem a bit odd?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 4:42 PM

It'll be interesting to see how it is developed. I know the Scaledown blog likes to complain a lot but what they should at least recognize is that Windsor is one of the few cities in Ontario where large new subdivisions are built on a grid system (look at the new East Riverside subdivision currently under construction). Every other city in the province favours cul-de-sac craziness.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
It'll be interesting to see how it is developed. I know the Scaledown blog likes to complain a lot but what they should at least recognize is that Windsor is one of the few cities in Ontario where large new subdivisions are built on a grid system (look at the new East Riverside subdivision currently under construction). Every other city in the province favours cul-de-sac craziness.
Sure the roads in the new subdivisions near Banwell are straight as opposed to cul-de-sac style streets but does it amount to any real difference? Anyone living in that area still has to get in their car to get to any ammenities; which are located either on Tecumseh Rd or Wyandotte, west of Riverdale (closer to Lauzon). So the neighbourhoods still have that same suburban feel to them whether the streets are straight or curvy and still force people into cars.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:49 AM

The neighbourhoods are still of a suburban nature but a grid system is much more walkable than the alternative. Grids also allow more dispersed traffic flow as opposed to cul-de-sacs which force everyone onto arterial roads to get in and out of the subdivision (which is the common method in London for example).

I understand what Scaledown is saying but sprawl is a cultural phenomenon all across in North America that the automobile has caused. What bugs me is they tend to consistently paint Windsor with a negative brush (like there is an ulterior motive there or something). In reality we are doing it better than most other cities in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 6:09 PM

It sounds like a pretty good developement to me, not just a bunch of houses and nothing else. I wonder how long it will take to fill it in?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 3:17 PM

The city needs to focus on increasing density in existing locations rather than allow for more sprawl. Largely because more sprawl needs more roads and more sewers etc. This is going to cost more money to maintain, whereas if the city could increase density in existing areas first (keeping that large area of untouched land for future development) I think it would be a better move.

Windsor is plagued with empty lots that could be developed, but instead we're more interested in paving and building over new farm land. It's got to the point where the city feels de-centralized. There are just as many people at Devonshire mall on a saturday night as there are downtown on the same night.

I'm watching closely how things unfold downtown. I believe it's April that Investor's Group will be able to relocate downtown so that will be an influx of people finally occupying the long vacant and controversial Canderel building. Also I'm looking forward to the University taking over the armories building, and possibly the old greyhound bus station. Hopefully the city can finally give the downtown market a new permanent home, it's been really picking up traction and more people are going there.

If the university takes over the Star building on Ferry thereby making the Windsor Star relocating and possibly to the underused Palace theatre building that would be great too. A major intersection getting a breath of new life and vibrancy with an influx of people.

There are soo many things that seem like they could happen and be positive for the core, it's just IF they actually happen. It also feels like it's all taking forever for this core transformation.

I didn't mention the Aquatic centre because at first I was all gung ho about supporting it, and now I feel like I have mixed feelings on the development and question whether it is the best use of that land.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 10:18 PM

^^^ I agree that the city needs increase developement in neighbourhoods that already exist, as opposed to developing prime farmland for new homes, but we do need this land for future growth. Not all new growth can be occur in empty lots only.

I don't even know how the city could make builders build only in existing neighbourhoods, as oppossed to new ones. We need to have both options, but maybe give more incentives to those that choose to build in existing areas and empty lots.

I think that a regional form of municipal government in this area would give us the tools to decide where all new growth takes place. No more competition between city and suburbs for new growth at any cost, just smart planning for the whole region.

This city also needs to embrace urban living like downtown highrise condos and denser brownstone type developements. I would much rather be in the middle of everything than way out in the boonies.

I think our city centre is finally getting the investment it needs to flourish and grow into something spectacular. The University and college campuses downtown will do wonders, and I think the Aquatic centre is a great choice for that piece of property. We have waited too long to let that property sit for another two decades. It's a much better choice than the arena they wanted to put there.

I really do hope that we can find the right spot for the market downtown, it needs to be here. Make it big and make it bold, something that will attract residents from across the whole region, not just us downtown residents. With our amazing produce we grow here, and our growing winery industry, we should be able to have a world class market and have it flourish.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 10:30 PM

Went out for a walk today. They're still building the concession stand at the riverfront stage, as well as the at the back at road level on Riverside @ McDougall. The terrace offers a nice view.

We also checked out the recently opened up portion of the riverfront where all the retention basin work and what not was going on. Turns out they built a really nice rock beach and it reminds me of up north. They did a good job, and it's not even fully finished.

There were still many freshly paved spots where benches will be located and I'm pretty sure all the landscaping is going to have to wait until the spring, but it's really nice.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:55 PM

Wyandotte East streetscaping began this week. They are starting just east of the Droullard viaduct and heading towards Riverside.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 10:07 PM

^^^ That's good to hear. Do you know what the plans for Wyandotte W. are? I heard it's also gonna get some work done, but I haven't heard yet what is being proposed or what part of the street. I would assume the area around the University would be the location.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Wyandotte streetscaping will begin sometime soon. This will bring this arterial road in line with some of Windsor's other main streets that have been redone.

picture courtesey of www.windsorite.ca (I love this site)

Actual link to article
http://windsorite.ca/2011/06/29/new-...to-begin-soon/
Here are some pictures of the plan and an article mentioning the work being done.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:57 PM

New VIA train station updates.

courtesy of http://www.windsorite.ca

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:53 AM

The plans from 2 separate companies bidding to to build the Windsor Aquatic Centre have now been released by the city to the public and there is currently a poll on the Windsor Star website for people to vote on their favourite bid.

The first bid:
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Gall...943/story.html

The second bid:
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Gall...013/story.html

The poll
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2011/11...do-you-prefer/

Each project will retain a 50m olympic sized pool, a 25m warm up pool, ammenities for diving and a recreation water park.

Here is the proposed site.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:04 PM

From what I can see, the second bid looks to be much stronger than the first. Regardless, whatever one they picked is going to have to be tweaked to make the mayor happy, because he didn't sound too excited about either design.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:18 PM

Well, it turns out we can't afford either design, so the city is going to negotiate with the winner to see if they can get it down in price.

So I don't even think we're going to be getting what we are seeing in any event, it seems we're going to get a tamed down version..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:06 AM

It sounds like they want improvements made to the plans for the exterior mostly. There's no doubt this is going to come in over budget but Windsor is a good financial position right now - just the fact that we're even able to build something like this (considering what the local economy has been like for the past 5 years) is remarkable in itself.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 6:55 AM
User Registered

Now that Toronto has it's own subsection, should Windsor be next?

A lot more traffic here as of late, not to mention several threads. I think things would be more organized there.

Thoughts?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Now that Toronto has it's own subsection, should Windsor be next?

A lot more traffic here as of late, not to mention several threads. I think things would be more organized there.

Thoughts?
Well, it's interesting that you brought that up. There is going to be more traffic regarding Windsor here at SSP over the next few years for sure. I can understand though why Windsor lost it's own subsection seeing as there was a slow down in construction in the last few years and coupled with a slowdown in activity from visitors/members from Windsor.

I am trying my best to make contributions.

Projects that are either under way, or will be starting up in the next year to 18 months off the top of my head would be:

WE Parkway

Maintenance and Repair Operation hangar construction at Windsor Airport to service and maintain large jets.

New Windsor jail

Construction of a new industrial warehouse park in central Windsor

New VIA train station

Windsor Aquatic Centre

The relocation and renovating of the Windsor Armouries by the Univeristy of Windsor in downtown for it's school of music and visual arts

The relocation and renovating of the current Windsor Star building by the University of Windsor in downtown for it's school of social work

The relocation of the Windsor Star to the current Palace Cinemas buildiing on Oullette & University and subsequent renovations

The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Expansion

Downtown riverfront park reconstruction and rehabilitation is still WIP (Water retention basin project and surrounding lands)

Wyandotte streetscaping & Droullard viaduct

Erie streetscaping (La bella strada)

Construction and renovation projects worth a total of at least $115 million are now a go in the downtown (quote from Windsor Star)(this excludes the tunnel expansion)

Other projects that are being talked about but there is no official word or start at a much later date.

Potential new city museum

Riverside Drive Vista project (most work is not slated to begin until after 2016 :\ )

DRIC bridge?

Last edited by Symz; Dec 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario