HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:14 PM

Fefe on the ice this morning skating and shooting hard. Hopefully back in game action next week or so. He's on week 5 of a 6-8 weeks shoulder rehab.

Jets making the playoffs is basically a lock. Pending a complete collapse, which doesn't seem like it will happen.

Next is how deep do they go. Jets can compete with any team in the league. Save your pennies folks. Playoffs are coming!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was walking through the MTS Centre skywalk the other day and wondering if that part of the building will be included in the ongoing building renovations... it still has that original drab particle board wall treatment plus worn out hospital tile and beige walls.

That part of the rink looks more like a community health clinic than the amazingly dynamic and exciting downtown home of the powerhouse Jets and phenomenal Moose that it is. I hope TNSE gets around to sprucing it up.

(Sorry to put this in the Jets thread, I couldn't find an actual MTS Centre thread)
I imagine that this area will be upgraded in the offseason, as now the arena and cityplace have both been completely redone, and it will connect to TNS as well. My guess is it may be taking some time working with the city on who pays for what, as this area is part of the skywalk network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Fefe on the ice this morning skating and shooting hard. Hopefully back in game action next week or so. He's on week 5 of a 6-8 weeks shoulder rehab.

Jets making the playoffs is basically a lock. Pending a complete collapse, which doesn't seem like it will happen.

Next is how deep do they go. Jets can compete with any team in the league. Save your pennies folks. Playoffs are coming!
Well they have the best home record in the NHL and just started a 10-game home stand by beating the best team in the league, fairly handily I'd say... definitely bodes well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:15 PM

^Like.

Further update to Fefe. Will start taking contact next week. So probably still a couple weeks out. No need to rush it at this point.

Trouba out for 6-8 weeks kind of sucks. Should be back in time for a couple week stint before playoffs.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:28 PM

What? No Jets talk? Apparently Statsny will be in the lineup tonight.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:57 PM
There is always a way

Pretty significant acquisition yes. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:14 PM

I think it's a great acquisition. Lineup already looks a lot stronger with Petan sent down and Copp on the fourth line. When Lowry, Tanev, and Trouba come back, it's going to be quite the team. And some tough decisions. Looks like Hendricks will be sitting which is too bad, but that's the business.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:38 PM

Hendricks is full steam ahead with being a mentor. Yesterday he noted how he will take on whatever role the Jets give him. Be it 4th liner, or press box old guy. He's a good team player as he already said earlier this year he's just happy to have a job.

Stastny is the perfect pick-up for Winnipeg. They didn't need wingers, they needed a good 2c/3c. Which is exactly what Stastny will bring. Pretty solid line-up with Lowry and co as the 4th line.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Hellebuyck
Mason

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hendricks is full steam ahead with being a mentor. Yesterday he noted how he will take on whatever role the Jets give him. Be it 4th liner, or press box old guy. He's a good team player as he already said earlier this year he's just happy to have a job.

Stastny is the perfect pick-up for Winnipeg. They didn't need wingers, they needed a good 2c/3c. Which is exactly what Stastny will bring. Pretty solid line-up with Lowry and co as the 4th line.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Hellebuyck
Mason
I really think Tanev should be in that lineup somewhere. I would also prefer anyone to Myers. Myers is absolute garbage, and I cringe every-time he is on the ice. Everyone loves him because he contributes to points, but I have never seen such a terrible defenceman. But alas, Maurice likes him so he will remain in the lineup.

For those looking for reasons why:

Terrible first passer.
Panics under any sort of pressure (ices the puck far too often, especially when other plays are available)
Far too many defensive zone turnovers.

An example of the last two points, against Nashville tonight. Puck was sent into the corner, he was by far the closest man to the puck, and managed to lose the puck. It was retrieved by Kulikov and sent back to him. He had multiple options with tonnes of space, and he decides to send it flying up the boards for a potential icing. Luckily it was waved off. Unluckily he was still on the ice when the Preds came rushing back to score their second goal. If you watch it, he is standing there alone off to the far side of the net leaving two preds wide open.

Lazy.
Weak on the puck - for the second tallest guy in the league, he gets out muscled far too often.
Takes way to many lazy stick penalties, and at the worst times too.
Numerous goals are results of his terrible play making decisions.
He is atrocious on the blue line, and gets caught standing still far too often, resulting in odd man rushes, or breakaways.
He is a hesitater.

I could ramble on for an hour. But ya'll get the jist.

I really felt bad for Morrissey for the last little while.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:11 PM

It's crazy to say because he's incredible and would be on most teams' 3rd (some 2nd) line, but I think I would take out Armia for Tanev. Tanev is ALWAYS the hardest working player on the ice, is in every single play, and is a huge difference maker. He's leading the team in hits, and that's exactly what you need on your 4th line.

Especially come playoffs when we're gonna be up against big western teams, we need what Tanev brings. I think he's one of our dark horses, and it was incredibly obvious the he was missing during that slight "slump" a couple weeks ago.

Wow is it ever nice to be able to consider a 2 game losing streak a slump.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:26 PM

It'll be interesting to see who gets the 12th forward spot. Maurice likes Tanev, but also likes Armia. Since Jets have 3 scoring lines, might be worthwhile to have Tanev on 4th so he can lay on the ice and block some rubber.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:30 PM

He didn't have a great games last night but several Jets didn't. The only line that was really going was the Statsny line. Myers stats wise and plus minus wise is almost exactly at par with Byfuglien. I would certainly pick him over Chariot, who isn't bad but tends to panic under pressure. Maurice does prefer Tanev to Armia. I see Hendricks coming out right away when Lowry gets back, and Tanev coming on for either Armia or Roslovic. Roslovic may not last in the pressure that's coming, in particular playoff pressure.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He didn't have a great games last night but several Jets didn't. The only line that was really going was the Statsny line. Myers stats wise and plus minus wise is almost exactly at par with Byfuglien. I would certainly pick him over Chariot, who isn't bad but tends to panic under pressure. Maurice does prefer Tanev to Armia. I see Hendricks coming out right away when Lowry gets back, and Tanev coming on for either Armia or Roslovic. Roslovic may not last in the pressure that's coming, in particular playoff pressure.
Byfuglien is an impact player on many fronts. He makes a tonne of mistakes, but there is no doubt that he is impactful on that bench. Myers screams nervousness. He makes an occasional half decent play, but for the most part he is nothing but laziness, mistakes, and penalties. I would take Chariot over Myers any day. His first pass is much better, and ironically I find that he doesn't panic near as much as Myers. Look who is on the ice 9 times out of 10 when we get hemmed in our own zone. Myers is usually responsible.

Once we get a healthy line up, I personally believe he is our weakest link. Big players are becoming a thing in the past in today's NHL. Being big without anything else to add to the table doesn't promise much.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:24 AM

Quote:
City mulling downtown street closure for potential Jets playoff party
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.4603478
Can't close down any of the streets around the arena... too bad we don't have a huge surface lot kitty corner to Bell MTS Place anymore!!!

IMO The Forks is a terrible place for it – it's so out of the way. Forks or P&M make sense for a one-off (like cup parade), but not for every home playoff game. This is really only a one year problem – I think Window Park could be a good solution.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:51 PM

^ We have all these pointless plazas and we can't find one for an outdoor viewing party? What about the one at Portage and Main that conveniently already has a jumbotron? (And what's more central than P&M?) Or what about the Cube?

I know I'm a curmudgeon but I think the city should tell people that the best viewing party is the one at your local bar or in your living room.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:55 PM

Also, I'm guessing that I may be in a bit of a minority in fretting about this but I'm disappointed to see the Moose freefalling in recent weeks. I realize it's for the very worthy cause of replenishing the Jets' ranks but I kind of had my fingers crossed that we might see two championship parades this spring

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ We have all these pointless plazas and we can't find one for an outdoor viewing party? What about the one at Portage and Main that conveniently already has a jumbotron? (And what's more central than P&M?) Or what about the Cube?

I know I'm a curmudgeon but I think the city should tell people that the best viewing party is the one at your local bar or in your living room.
The issue that none of them are really in close proximity to the arena, where you really want it. It's not a big deal to shut P&M down say for a cup parade, but to do it for potentially 10+ home games is quite a lot. Again though, this won't be a problem come next year.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:51 PM

The Sky City lot, closure of Garry from Graham to Portage and the lot to the east of it would be a prime location for a gathering if we're anticipating something the size of what went on in Nashville last year.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The issue that none of them are really in close proximity to the arena, where you really want it. It's not a big deal to shut P&M down say for a cup parade, but to do it for potentially 10+ home games is quite a lot. Again though, this won't be a problem come next year.
Why does it have to be near the arena?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:17 PM

Close down Portage in front of the arena. Move the buses elsewhere temporarily.

Anyways, I'm super excited for the playoff run. Yes, a run not a first round exit!

Jets still in the hunt for presidents trophy too. Albeit very slim chances, but still possible with only 2 games left I the season! Never would've thought we can say that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:20 PM

I would say the big park at the Millennium Library would be well suited for this. Very close to the arena and would have ample space for a couple of thousand viewers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan