HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 10:49 PM

"Budget Demolition" is doing a controlled collapse. Does that mean they will ram a '75 Chev station wagon into a corner pillar and then run like hell?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:30 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
"Budget Demolition" is doing a controlled collapse. Does that mean they will ram a '75 Chev station wagon into a corner pillar and then run like hell?
Remote control car. Safety first.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:00 AM

Article from CJME: http://www.cjme.com/2017/11/05/167395/

Quote:
Overhanging snow at new stadium closes 800 seats at Rider game

Hundreds of football fans were forced to move seats at the Saskatchewan Roughriders game Saturday night, due to the danger caused by overhanging snow on the roof of the new Mosaic Stadium.

According to Roughriders spokesperson Ryan Pollock, stadium crews noticed the “snow cornice” looming over a section on the stadium’s east side.

“As a precaution, the Roughriders closed access to approximately 800 seats and relocated those affected,” said Pollock in an email.

Paula Kohl, spokesperson for the Regina Exhibition Association, which runs the stadium, told 980 CJME fans were moved as a “safety precaution” and that “the situation was handled proactively.”

Some fans took to Twitter to voice their disappointment with the relocation, while others said they were able to get a closer spot as the Roughriders took on the Edmonton Eskimos.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
It seemed kinda silly. It was definitely a soft snow cornice, not ice.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly. If the game had been sold out, I suspect they wouldn't have closed that section, or they would've made an effort to knock the cornice off during prep.
(judging by the Comments here, there are a lot of people around the CFL grasping at any small reason to write-off NMS as a failure. Jealous much?)

BTW, I think they did an excellent job of prep... wasn't a flake of snow on the turf, and the stands were fine - little bit of snow to brush off, but it was clear they'd gone through & got the bulk of it. It was a bit weird seeing piles of snow on the concourse - but it made more sense that pushing all of the snow down to the field). And the concourse actually felt comfortable temperature-wise. It's clearly not heated, but between the wind-break, body heat & the concessions, it felt very comfortable in there.

Last edited by Drofmab; Nov 6, 2017 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:29 PM

They had 70 people shovelling in the stands to get the stadium ready for the game. Really, this was exceptional. How often do you get 20cm of snow the first week of November? Often there's some snow but less than that.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:39 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
They had 70 people shovelling in the stands to get the stadium ready for the game. Really, this was exceptional. How often do you get 20cm of snow the first week of November? Often there's some snow but less than that.
Pretty much more precipitation as snow than we got all year as rain... And yes, things were fairly clear throughout the stadium; I agree on the job well done.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Next thing you know it's ice chunks falling on peoples head. Can't take any risks with stuff like that when you have mass gatherings of the public.

Although I do agree it looked to be soft snow.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:15 PM

Evraz Place has expensive equipment to remove snow from the roof. They just didn't bother to do it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:07 PM

As a respite from all this snow and cold, here's a look back to the Stadium in June, prior to it's official opening.

http://javapost.ca/news/java-post-ae...an-roughriders

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:12 AM

Thank you for posting this, Doug123. Your video made my day. Beautiful!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Thank you for posting this, Doug123. Your video made my day. Beautiful!
You are very welcome!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:24 PM

I heard through the grapevine that tickets for the Pats/Warriors & All-Star tickets weren't moving very quickly (slower than molasses in January was the phrase used), despite QCSEG's assertion that they're moving just fine.

I just had a look at the seating chart... if they can't figure out a way to move some tickets quickly, this event is going to be a financial bloodbath. Seats in the stadium are widely available other than two areas: 1) west-side, lower bowl, between the blue lines; and 2) east-side, lower bowl at centre ice.

Even the 'cheap seats' (standing room, in Pilsner place for $75) are only 1/3rd sold.

QCSEG said on Nov 29th that they sold 10,000 tickets (1/3 of the stadium)... if you asked me to guess - based on the Ticketmaster seating chart, I would've generously guessed that they've sold 20% (6,000-7,000) so far.

They may need to look to the Toronto 2016 Grey Cup for strategies to fill the stadium.

Looks like they've already started adjusting prices... Silver & Gold were announced to Rider season ticket holders as $219 & $319, respectively. The LP article above says these are $199 & $275.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I heard through the grapevine that tickets for the Pats/Warriors & All-Star tickets weren't moving very quickly (slower than molasses in January was the phrase used), despite QCSEG's assertion that they're moving just fine.

I just had a look at the seating chart... if they can't figure out a way to move some tickets quickly, this event is going to be a financial bloodbath. Seats in the stadium are widely available other than two areas: 1) west-side, lower bowl, between the blue lines; and 2) east-side, lower bowl at centre ice.

Even the 'cheap seats' (standing room, in Pilsner place for $75) are only 1/3rd sold.

QCSEG said on Nov 29th that they sold 10,000 tickets (1/3 of the stadium)... if you asked me to guess - based on the Ticketmaster seating chart, I would've generously guessed that they've sold 20% (6,000-7,000) so far.

They may need to look to the Toronto 2016 Grey Cup for strategies to fill the stadium.

Looks like they've already started adjusting prices... Silver & Gold were announced to Rider season ticket holders as $219 & $319, respectively. The LP article above says these are $199 & $275.
Agree it seems very expensive for outdoor junior hockey in Feb. You will note they said 10,000 tickets were "allocated", not sold.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:37 PM

^ So stupid. Can't there just be an outdoor game without having to try and extort the fans who want to be there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Agree it seems very expensive for outdoor junior hockey in Feb. You will note they said 10,000 tickets were "allocated", not sold.
That was my read on it as well. Sponsors, corporate and league tickets have been set aside. $75 is steep for standing room.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
I noticed that - but I'm struggling to see where these "allocated" tickets are sitting, as there are A LOT of prime seats available... unless they haven't been assigned seats yet (which would strike me as odd - you'd dole out the corporate parter, League, etc seats first, no?).

I get that it costs a lot to put this on (making the rink & ice alone is in the millions), but still - seems foolish to price it at a level that leaves most casual fans in the nosebleeds, or near the net (best case); and fans - like me - who are interested simply for the novelty, in standing room/end zone seats a million miles from the ice.

Current pricing certainly leaves many families out - parents & 1 kid for $225 minimum? $450 for OK seats? C'mon. I thought families were a big part of the Pats' focus.

I have no interest in doling out $75 to stand in the cold, at a huge distance from the action. I would consider going at $40 for Pilsner Place; $70 for lower bowl corners/end zone; and $125 for blue line to the net. At those prices, I *might* even pay $125 for the experience. That seat is at least $199 right now (possibly $275).

Bizarre.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:39 PM

Not related to the Pats outdoor game, but the stadium in general....

Since a few vendors obviously left and rumour is some made it through the football season, but are not returning in 2018, will REAL look for new options to move into the concessions or will they simply flip more of them to REAL's food services union?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan