HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:04 PM

I think we will just have to see Prairieguy. With a 15 story hotel they are still on track for the original vision but reports of 2 office towers and and only one condo portion suggest that the vision has most definately changed. Lets not get too worried yet. Time will tell. Banks did well and now that shangri la is done its selling at a modest rate. I'd think there would be a lot of interest in the condo tower once they officially start to market it simply due to scale and location.

Markets including housing may be low now but in 2 or 3 years when this tower is nearing completion they should be starting to pick back up again. Im sure there will be more details before shovels are in the ground.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:27 PM

Last edited by W.W. La Chance; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:29 PM. Reason: Delete?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:58 PM
the heat goes on

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:04 AM

wow that's a little different than was first proposed but looks good hope renders come out soon

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:47 AM

Yup, that's the latest rendering that I had seen. I think the bundled stacks for the office buildings are only to set a sense of scale. No real design determined for the towers yet to the best of my knowledge.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:08 PM

I am underwhelmed....looks like the tallest building in Sask is no longer a part of the design, either. I know everyone is excited, as am I, that there is now a sense of activity imminent for that site, but not anywhere near what was originally planned. (and perhaps the office towers are just there for scale, but the condo/hotel design is pretty cookie cutter).

oh well....

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:34 PM

Has there been much chatter floating around regarding the tenant mix of the office tower(s)?

'Strong interest' does not hold water in Saskatoon, especially with CBD vacancy nearing 20%. Hope to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:53 PM

^^^^ Agreed. Unless they can woo a tenant to take most of one tower, I would expect to see only the hotel/condo building there for the near future.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:02 PM

Not that a render means much at this stage but has the water pond in the middle always been part of the plan? I don't necessarily see the merits of a water feature when the river is 50ft away? I can think of many different things that would work better there like 3 season cafe's, patio etc.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:45 PM

Those towers better just be "stand-ins" for the footprint of the buildings and not the actual building designs. Ugh. I would rather it sit empty than just build anything, especially those blocks of glass.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:11 AM

I wonder if the redesign will make the first (biggest) office tower taller? They can make it up to 95 meters... or maybe they going with the original design height of 80m? It would still be the tallest building in Saskatoon. Not exactly what we all were expecting, either way its something I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:52 AM

wasn't that thrilled with the original design so i guess we will get what we get, maybe not having a huge condo tower there will open it up to city center being built.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I wonder if the redesign will make the first (biggest) office tower taller? They can make it up to 95 meters... or maybe they going with the original design height of 80m? It would still be the tallest building in Saskatoon. Not exactly what we all were expecting, either way its something I suppose.
On the flat prairie, 80m will still be pretty damn noticeable!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 2:52 PM

I am already feeling a little let down by the conceptual drawings that have been presented for the "new" development at River Landing and now I feel like the development team is holding the city hostage over land taxes. Because city council....and many others....are so desperate to see something happen at Parcel Y, it seems the developers feel they can ask for anything. I am just not sure a permanent tax break because of public plaza (which we know nothing of what it will include or look like or access), is such a good idea. Without a lot of conditions, I think it would be a bad move by a council that feels backed into a corner to get something built.

I so want to feel positive about this development, but my enthusiasm is being challenged for sure!

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-unprecedented

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:02 PM

^ Heh, well, none of this news is really surprising to me.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am already feeling a little let down by the conceptual drawings that have been presented for the "new" development at River Landing and now I feel like the development team is holding the city hostage over land taxes. Because city council....and many others....are so desperate to see something happen at Parcel Y, it seems the developers feel they can ask for anything. I am just not sure a permanent tax break because of public plaza (which we know nothing of what it will include or look like or access), is such a good idea. Without a lot of conditions, I think it would be a bad move by a council that feels backed into a corner to get something built.

I so want to feel positive about this development, but my enthusiasm is being challenged for sure!

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-unprecedented
At some point council will have to let go of the developer's hand and let them face their financial risk alone, no? Why should this developer get special treatment? It's been awhile since this saga began, but didn't council already bend the rules and extend the city's generosity on one or more occasion? (it would take hours to go back through this thread to remember the key points)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:02 AM
the heat goes on

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:03 AM

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:44 PM

I like that design it would fit in nice with the art gallery. Will be nice to see if they increase condo height to 27 floors. Time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:47 PM

I guess if the city allows second 12 story office tower the title would have to change to reflect 4 towers. Hoping it all goes ahead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan