HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:34 PM

I guess if we see Bayview Construction back there in the spring redoing it, we will know that its either them finishing the job properly or a warranty repair.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That gravel was getting rutted up pretty bad. Hopefully this is at no cost to the city.
First off, who at the city signs off on the gravel being acceptable in the first place, a poor decision like that should be grounds for dismissal.

Either the road is complete or it is not, if the final concrete approach wasn't completed the road should never have been opened.

We have a fire hall built partly on land owned by someone else.

Nobody at the city can explain why they would re-purpose a structurally unsound 58 year old building for the new police HQ and why costs to retrofit are nearly double the original quote.

City management is clearly incompetent or really corrupt or both.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:59 PM

Russ wanted it open so they opened it hopping that it would stay frozen enough until spring.

Just drove over it and it looks like the temporary winter concrete that is put in after a water main or sewer break in the pavement. Looks like they will be back in the spring to rip it out and do it properly.

I'm an going to guess the permanent pavement segment will be drilled and doweled into the existing pavement as I don't think they did that to the patch.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:41 PM

I don't know if its just me but I have seen an increase in rail traffic on the CN low line (Sprague Subdivision) crossing Marion, Archibald and Provenchier. Last night I was stuck on Archibald while a long slow moving container train passed over the crossing.

It looks like CN is using that line to move trains while others are being held on the high line (mainline at Mission) waiting to enter Symington yard.

If the trains are not just a temporary problem will there be calls for grade separations on those roadways?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 6:49 PM

I am visiting from Regina today. I am shocked by the number of bad pot holes on almost every street. Is this normal for the middle of winter?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 7:04 PM
Heart of the Continent

The warm weather will have brought them out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 8:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It was recently noted that last year 62% of Winnipeg streets were considered to be in good condition. This year it has decreased to 58%.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am visiting from Regina today. I am shocked by the number of bad pot holes on almost every street. Is this normal for the middle of winter?
^Make sure you plug your car in tonight Stormer, or your visit might be longer than you anticipated.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
^Make sure you plug your car in tonight Stormer, or your visit might be longer than you anticipated.
I actually don't even have a block heater. I come from balmy Regina.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:30 PM

The warm weather brought a winter pot hole season this year. But the roads are generally not the smoothest anyhow, as you likely already know.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:41 PM

I was out this morning and there was a two truck patching crew on Munroe Av. filling in holes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:09 AM

Winnipeg has lots to offer, but one observation from an outsider would be that too much is spent on bilingual signs and not enough on roads maintenance.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 1:58 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Winnipeg has lots to offer, but one observation from an outsider would be that too much is spent on bilingual signs and not enough on roads maintenance.
The money was increasing (finally) under the last mayor, and is supposed to increase more under this one. By 2019 (maybe earlier now) we're finally supposed to be spending the required money. Winnipeg, by western Canada standards, is an old city....it takes a while to fix decades of neglect.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:18 PM

The next Marion Widening open house was postponed from November to early 2015, and still hasn't happened. I'm hoping the City has come to their senses and moved the interchange from Archibald to Lagimodiere. I contacted the study team from MMM Group. All they could say was there are changes and the open house was postponed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

How could an interchange be built at Lag and Marion? The Maple Leaf plant is on the SW corner and there is a massive water resevoir tank across the street.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:36 PM

Demolish the couple houses that front Lag to the west and the pool store. A simple diamond can fit there.

Just like they're demolishing all that stuff at Archibald. Have you seen what they plan to tear down over there? That whole intersection will be barren once this project goes through.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:40 PM

I love Winnipeg City Planners, ONE interchange will not create better traffic flow, when there are lights in every direction within 1 km.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:52 PM

Of course not. Gotta chip away it though. The location I'm speaking off is the bottle neck in the area. If they were to eliminate both sets of lights on Lag (one is planned to be removed as part of the project), traffic will flow way better. So in this case, yes one interchange will make a difference. The lights a couple km south are not that big a deal and are usually green for Lag.

Not sure if you've seen the design, but they plan on hammering a single point diamond into a stupid spot as part of a rail underpass project. While leaving the connection to the expressway as a set of lights. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
How could an interchange be built at Lag and Marion? The Maple Leaf plant is on the SW corner and there is a massive water resevoir tank across the street.
Under all proposed configurations the intersection at Marion and Lagimodiere will be eliminated. The new intersection grade separated or not will be at Dugald Rd.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:07 PM

Oops, missed that. I was meaning Dugald not Marion. The pumping station, reservoir and large aqueduct under Marion make it virtually impossible there. Also one of the reasons to go with the Dugald alignment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan