HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 4:21 PM

Just looked at this thread again for the first time in a while and read the article from the Star-Phoenix (linked below) that contained comments from Michael Kazda of EllisDon. What I found particularly interesting was his closing comment in the article:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...executive-says

Quote:
“We’re very proud to finish this project on time and on budget,” Kazda said. “All the batteries are included.”

Below is an excerpt from the original project specifications issued for tender in October of 2012:

Quote:
TENDER FOR: Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan
102 Spadina Crescent East (Facility Number 940-09-4)
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Project No. 10060
Contract No. 12-0092

WORK CONSISTS OF:

The Work includes the general construction of the Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan,
including underground parking and expansion to the existing Persephone Theatre, to be built
at 102 Spadina Crescent East, Saskatoon, SK.

STARTING DATE: January, 2013
SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION DATE: January 31, 2015
Perhaps Mr. Kazda has a different interpretation of "on time" than most of us, but even with an increase to the scope of the parkade work, obtaining substantial completion two years late does not strike me as being "on time". What was originally a 2 year build became a four year build. That's gotta hurt...

Last edited by Crisis; Dec 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 4:26 PM

Also close to double the original budget, which has been revised upwards several times. Much of that was before the contract was set.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:02 PM

Remai Modern gets noticed in New York Times

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
January 4, 2017

The Remai Modern Art Gallery is mentioned this week in a New York Times article.

The story, about various new galleries opening around the world, includes the Louvre Abu Dhabi and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, the “first major contemporary art museum on the continent.”

Saskatoon is cited as one “surprising locale” for a “splashy new museum.”

“There is the art of travel, and then there is traveling for art. In 2017, art lovers can expect splashy new museums in both well-known and surprising locales, noteworthy exhibits timed to milestone birthdays and an under-the-radar art fair that is not to be missed,” writes Shivani Vora.

“Late in the year, the Remai Modern will make its debut in Saskatoon, the largest city in the Canadian province Saskatchewan. Clad in a mesh copper screen, the four-level building will house more than 8,000 pieces of international contemporary art. Although there are works from well-known Canadians like the visual artist Althea Thauberger, the main attraction may be the Picasso gallery where there will be more than 400 of his linocuts and nearly two dozen of his ceramic pieces.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...new-york-times

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:36 PM

Holy cow....I read this article and the related "comments" section.....people really have a very difficult time appreciating this building and the contribution it will make in terms of quality of life for Saskatoon. I realize many are not happy with the level of our basic services, but as a city we still need to invest in projects that add to the cultural, recreation and sport experiences of our city. If we ever hope to attract and retain investment and new residents, they need to know there is a diversity of experiences and attractions that they can access.

I guess I am one of the minority that supports this gallery and is excited for its opening!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:44 PM

I guess I am part of the minority too, I also believe these kind of attractions help the city to grow as it makes it more attractive to people who may want to move here for a job or start a business. But then again I am also for an arena downtown LOL

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 9:17 PM

Hopefully the study being done by Tourism Saskatoon and S'toon Economic Development Authority on arena will come back with a recommendation to build downtown. I still think parking lot across street from TCUP and midtown is an ideal location.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:55 PM

This is a great project for the city, however the cost overruns and project duration is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

This project needs to get finished and start earning income back to the City of Saskatoon.

(In my opinion)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:08 PM

Gallery further delayed
First...I am big supporter of this project/gallery. I believe it will be a significant contributor to the quality of life and economy of the city. Having said that, I am SO frustrated by these continual announcements of "further delayed opening". I have heard it mentioned before in these updates that the reason is 'discrepancies between architectural drawings and construction company". WTF??? Did we hire an amateur architectural firm? Is the construction company incapable of reading the drawings?

On a project of this size and magnitude, 'errors' or 'omissions' in the design phase is unforgivable. I feel for the Board and City Council as this is completely out of their control, yet they get the heat for it. It is too bad there was not a conditional clause in the design/construction agreement that if they 'screwed something up' then compensation would come from them. With all these delays, the gallery will now miss the lucrative summer months for admission revenue, putting it behind before it even opens.

Grrrrrr....anxious for it to open and be a great attribute and signature attraction for our city but the process has been painful!

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ble-board-says

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
This is a great project for the city, however the cost overruns and project duration is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

This project needs to get finished and start earning income back to the City of Saskatoon.

(In my opinion)
Won't it lose even more money once it is fully operating? Or are they already paying a lot of the operating costs such as employees and overhead?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:10 PM

Every large project has many issues between the consultants and the contractors. The question is who will eat it cost or pay for the delays. Mosaic Stadium is a good example of how to manage a large complex and unique construction contract from an owners point of view. There were many issues between the consultants and the contractor, but the City was able to require them to solve the issues based on the type of contract they negotiated. The contract transferred risks of design issues, costs overruns and delays to the design-build team.

Obviously the initial bid will have a risk premium built into it, but on unique projects, it seems to be the way to go.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 4:41 AM

Are they opening the gallery this summer?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
To each their own I suppose, sad state of architecture today with the uglier the better!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but for over $100 million, it better be nice.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:25 PM

The gallery is featured by the Smithsonian as one of the must-see new museums of 2017. It includes a rendering that I don't think has been shared before, including how the museum name/branding will be incorporated at the entrance:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...017-180961757/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
The gallery is featured by the Smithsonian as one of the must-see new museums of 2017. It includes a rendering that I don't think has been shared before, including how the museum name/branding will be incorporated at the entrance:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...017-180961757/
Im really interested to see how much tourism this gallery ends up creating.

Last edited by scotty c; Feb 2, 2017 at 1:50 AM. Reason: .

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 9:26 PM

Considerable progress has been made installing steel mesh on south elevation. Looks nearly complete in fact.

It's a beauty.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:44 PM

Looks like it is done according to construction company

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ontractor-says

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:08 AM

Remai Modern art gallery getting federal grant

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: February 28, 2017 | Last Updated: February 28, 2017 6:01 PM CST

Quote:
The overdue and over-budget Remai Modern art gallery will get an injection of federal money.

Federal Liberal cabinet minister Ralph Goodale is scheduled to appear at an event Wednesday to make a funding announcement for the new gallery. No opening date has yet been scheduled for the Remai Modern.

“It’s a large federal grant,” gallery communications manager Sheila Robertson said in an interview on Tuesday. “It’s more than $500,000.”

Robertson would only say the money will be spent on “systems” as part of the gallery’s operating budget. The federal government contributed $160,000 to the gallery’s operational costs in 2016 and 2017. The provincial government is providing $418,500 in 2017, the same amount as in 2016.

The gallery’s operating budget for 2017 is about $7.6 million, compared to $4.9 million in 2016, when it was not yet completed and the Mendel Art Gallery was shuttered.

An operating subsidy from the City of Saskatoon covers most of the gallery’s budget. The subsidy jumps by $1 million, to about $5.2 million, in 2017.

The gallery board hopes to raise another $548,499 in revenue in 2017 through admissions, rentals and gift shop sales once the gallery is open.

City council decided to lop $75,000 off the gallery board’s budget request for 2017 due to uncertainty over when the facility will open. The contractor hired to build the project, EllisDon, said the project reached the substantial completion phase on Jan. 29.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-federal-grant

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Remai Modern art gallery getting federal grant

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: February 28, 2017 | Last Updated: February 28, 2017 6:01 PM CST

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-federal-grant
How is it possible to spend so much money operating a gallery that is not operating? I fear this does not bode well for the sustainability of this venue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan