HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
We'll see how successful it is. It's not like Portage place was built to be a "fortress". When opened it had street level retail entrances both on portage and in the back on the promenade. Sometimes visions don't materialize.
Right, hence the "successful" part – TNS is quite different as it's not a mall. Just regular old buildings with street-lever retail. Time will tell – but TNS seems to be better set for success, and isn't wishing on a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mts center was the most succefull mega project glass house alt and tns are a result of it being created
Not saying it wasn't successful at all – it's been huge. However, when there's no event going on, it's essentially just a giant full-block void.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:03 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Y'all know the drill.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:15 PM

TREVOR HAGAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 10:17 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Any word of the amenities in the apartment block?

How much for Rents? For a 1 bdrm., 2 bdrm.?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

TREVOR HAGAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Excellent picture!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:47 PM
Ignore these four words.

From that vantage point, tower 1 looks like it has a massive footprint. I wonder if they ever considered making it smaller to make the public space bigger and give the tower more height.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Best part is, this is shaping up to be the most impactful megaproject ever in downtown Winnipeg I'd say. Things like Portage Place, Convention Centre, arena etc. tend to be fortresses of sorts and don't always have the best street-level interactions, where this may be the first megaproject that successfully integrates with the urban fabric and has a big, lasting impact.
I'm not stating one or the other that TNS is destined to be lumped with Portage Place, Winnipeg's Hopeful Megaproject par excellence. However, it's pretty undeniable that the surrounding urban fabric was of little consideration. Note the primary orientation (both in terms of details and entrances) being toward the quasi-public plaza, at the expense of both the Hargrave and Graham. For example, concrete elevator cores(?) for both towers are pushed back against the Hargrave and Graham facades, leaving stretches of blank walls instead of commercial units with doors and windows.

TNES even wanted to move the busy transit stop from Graham between Hargrave and Carlton!

It's looking pretty good, and it's definitely exciting to see something so big and ambitious rise on a piece of property that was a surface parking lot since the Depression. But to me there's too much insularity in the design for it to be considered truly urban.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
From that vantage point, tower 1 looks like it has a massive footprint. I wonder if they ever considered making it smaller to make the public space bigger and give the tower more height.
And the city's contribution to that so-called public space is what again? Doesn't really look much wider than a lane-way!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:09 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I'm not stating one or the other that TNS is destined to be lumped with Portage Place, Winnipeg's Hopeful Megaproject par excellence. However, it's pretty undeniable that the surrounding urban fabric was of little consideration. Note the primary orientation (both in terms of details and entrances) being toward the quasi-public plaza, at the expense of both the Hargrave and Graham. For example, concrete elevator cores(?) for both towers are pushed back against the Hargrave and Graham facades, leaving stretches of blank walls instead of commercial units with doors and windows.

TNES even wanted to move the busy transit stop from Graham between Hargrave and Carlton!

It's looking pretty good, and it's definitely exciting to see something so big and ambitious rise on a piece of property that was a surface parking lot since the Depression. But to me there's too much insularity in the design for it to be considered truly urban.
Amen. I’m not convinced turning the back of these buildings to the street was a good move. Hopefully something happens along the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:12 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Amen. I’m not convinced turning the back of these buildings to the street was a good move. Hopefully something happens along the ground floor.
Could it be that were just not used to this type of construction in Winnipeg on this scale? everything built in Winnipeg has a damn plaza of some sort it seems (hydro has its "green space" towards Graham, Richardson building has its plaza fronting main, the alt has that little setback for a patio, so on).

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, the core of the design is obviously aimed towards its plaza, but how many tall buildings do we have right up against streets? HOPEFULLY it turns out to be more than 2 blank walls that don't address the street at all and put 100% of its focus on to its plaza.

But this is Winnipeg so I wont hold my breath

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:01 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And the city's contribution to that so-called public space is what again? Doesn't really look much wider than a lane-way!
Aw, c'mon. It's big enough for fireworks and the crowds watching them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
I think I'll avoid the first fireworks display within the square though.

(Alternate version, larger size)

Fireworks going off between massive walls of glass, with the crowd directly below.

No doubt someone at ISIS is firing off a memo: "Learn, guys..."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:10 AM

I'm with Wigglez, newer buildings built flush to the street are too rare downtown. Obviously if TNS involves brick walls along all the sidewalks (like at Cityplace across the street) then it'll be an urbanism fail, but if there are some windows and doors to animate the streetscape a bit then I think it'll work out just fine.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:28 AM
BANNED

You all complaining about street presence. Yet the parking lot that WAS there for decades had ZERO street presence. But this is Winnipeg. Complain complain complain.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

But that was always the point... it was supposed to orient inwards, become a gathering place in and of itself, not just a pretty neat development that plays nice with the area...

For one, nothing is happening on Hargrave anyway... there's nothing to integrate with. A case good be made to be more accessible to Graham,, but given the high transit traffic they might actually be wary of loiterers (it's a stretch, but perhaps). Carlton is clearly integrated through the skywalk and Sutton development.

The little grip I have is that the north east corner isn't so much like a gateway to the MTS centre but an afterthrought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm with Wigglez, newer buildings built flush to the street are too rare downtown. Obviously if TNS involves brick walls along all the sidewalks (like at Cityplace across the street) then it'll be an urbanism fail, but if there are some windows and doors to animate the streetscape a bit then I think it'll work out just fine.
Buildings flush to the property line are common everywhere... perhaps it breaks the handbook of urbanism ideals, but it hasn't done much harm everywhere either. I'm not concerned.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:05 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You all complaining about street presence. Yet the parking lot that WAS there for decades had ZERO street presence. But this is Winnipeg. Complain complain complain.
Right?

The audacity of you people sometimes!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:25 AM

I used to always shake my head at the advertisements posted in that lot that heralded it as "VIP parking for the MTS Centre". those were sad moments that I am happy to never see again.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I used to always shake my head at the advertisements posted in that lot that heralded it as "VIP parking for the MTS Centre". those were sad moments that I am happy to never see again.
"Rockstar parking" hahaha...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:47 PM

From TDS Law twitter feed

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:48 PM

That's a nice shot

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 1:54 AM
surely you agree with me

The concern is not that it is built to the property line...That is what should happen...The concern is what happens at the ground floor. It appears that all the focus is to the centre of the site and the actual streets become dead zones....hopefully that is not the case, but if it is, the design deserves to be criticized....sacrificing two major streets for an internal plaza is not good design....it will do what portage place did in that case.

but hopefully the street edges are not treated as the backs of the buildings and it is all good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan