Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:07 AM
Detroiter4life

Midtown Detroit Development

Project seeks to 're-densify' Midtown
N.Y. group seeks to develop properties, housing, new schools
Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

Quote:
The power players of Detroit's Midtown continue to flex their growing economic clout in the city with the unveiling today of a plan to develop up to 75 properties, create 200 units of mixed-income housing and the possible financing of new charter schools in the area.

Living Cities, a New York-base consortium of 22 financial and philanthropic groups, is scheduled to announce today at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History that it is awarding $2.75 million in grants, $4 million in investments and $15 million in commercial debt to the Detroit projects to help reconcentrate or "re-densify" people in the area around Woodward Avenue.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...ans-expansions

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 7:19 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Sounds like something major if it pans out, which I actually suspect it will. With this, the huge DMC sell and subsequent expansion, the proposed expansion of Henry Ford, the possible new arena in the area, Woodward, the New Center commuter rail upgrade, and the plethora of other small developments that have been going on for years, now, this area isn't just some passing fad.

Just to let you know, given the size and scope of this development, I cross posted it in City Discussions.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:23 PM

Maybe we should consider creating an official Midtown Detroit Development thread. There's lots of stuff going on right now and it could be beneficial to keep all the news/discussion in one place.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 2:55 AM

There.

My only problem is that unless someone in the area is going to regularly update the thread, it's as good as dead, here. This place is empty, now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
There.

My only problem is that unless someone in the area is going to regularly update the thread, it's as good as dead, here. This place is empty, now.
I'll update it when I can.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
There.

It was better when so many other subforums didn't exist. Stuff here will make it into city discussion and construction thread and of course the My City Photos section.

Trust me if I was back in Michigan, I'd be on top of the updates lol.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 5:36 PM
Detroiter4life

The Union at Midtown

This is a new student housing development that will be built at the corner of Cass and W Warren. This project will feature 81 units with 140 beds for undergraduate and graduate students. There will be three retail spaces also constructed in the ground floor totaling 5,800 sq. ft. A pilot zip car program will also be incorporated for the tenants. The architecture isn't the greatest, but I guess its better than nothing.
Here's their website. http://www.unionmidtown.com/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 2:36 AM

Well it certainly doesn't replace what used to be there 20 years ago. Add 20 floors to this thing, and you might be approaching a reasonable number of replacement units.....maybe 40 stories even...50?

I'll take this and be satisfied, but Detroit is certainly on a mission to build lower and more spread out.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:30 AM

I like how the "photos" section of the website is two renderings mixed in with a bunch of stock photos of laughing college students.

It's across the street from Old Main and a few other nice buildings, it's a shame this is what's going in on such a good site.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:40 AM

I'm usually very forgiving about the architecture of new development in Detroit. I try to find the good in things. But, gawd is that some horrible architecture. It looks like a bootleg Quality Inn.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncw View Post
I like how the "photos" section of the website is two renderings mixed in with a bunch of stock photos of laughing college students.

It's across the street from Old Main and a few other nice buildings, it's a shame this is what's going in on such a good site.
I like how the girls in the second photo are carrying mountains of books (like that ever happens) and the dude on the left is doing nothing to help them.

There some semblance of rustic urban chic in the stock photos....which it won't have...because that's actually some Manhattan loft.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:30 AM
Honored Member

The problem with the rendering is the McMansion-style roof. If it didn't have that, it wouldn't be so bad.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 2:55 AM

Yeah, I'm not certain why they chose that. A gesture towards Old Main, designtype of residential architecture (pitched roof?). I don't know. Probably was cheaper. I know there's steel on site, but something tells me this will be woodframe for the most part. Wood trusses/pitched roof is waaaaay cheaper than masonry parapet with a standing seam or watertight membrane flat roof.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:35 PM

I'll try to get some photos of construction on The Union up this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:21 PM
loving that Gary skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post
I'll try to get some photos of construction on The Union up this weekend.
Agreed... same here, especially since I work right next door to it. It's been fun watching it go up so far!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 5:17 PM

Here are some cell phone pics of construction on The Union that I grabbed on my way back from class this morning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well it certainly doesn't replace what used to be there 20 years ago. Add 20 floors to this thing, and you might be approaching a reasonable number of replacement units.....maybe 40 stories even...50?
I'm pretty sure this statement is incorrect. Here's what they tore down to build this development (courtesy of Google):

It's two buildings of single-story office/retail. The building on the right looks a lot older than 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:23 PM
Registered Ugly

Looks like steel frame to me. I'm not thrilled about the roof, either, but I think this will do perfectly fine for the location. Detroit will continue to rebuild in accordance with the market before it will get anything architecturally significant. Project specs were probably modified to make it easier to finance.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post
Here are some cell phone pics of construction on The Union that I grabbed on my way back from class this morning:

I'm pretty sure this statement is incorrect. Here's what they tore down to build this development (courtesy of Google):

It's two buildings of single-story office/retail. The building on the right looks a lot older than 20 years.
I'm pretty sure a 15 story building once stood here. I'll have to check though. It would have sat where that church thing and the subway shops are

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:04 PM

Saw it for myself on wed. They are using cmu block

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:23 AM
Honored Member

Geez! Who do they think we are... Mount Pleasant??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest