HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:08 PM

Monuments and Statues

Was busy perusing through WWII history on wiki (because for some reason I have absolutely nothing better to do on a 5 day long weekend...), and when I got to the King George VI article, I noticed that, commonwealth-wide, there is a significant number of statues of the guy. Not that many places named after him though, and there wasn't a correlation between the two. As a local example, I've never seen a statue of him at King George Station.

This first got me thinking, no Surrey isn't exactly a cultural Mecca by any stretch, but you're going to name something as big as a rapid transit station (and a highway/roadway) after someone as significant as our head of state while we participated in the largest conflict in history, and you don't even have a plaque? Or better yet, how about a 12 foot high, attention grabbing bronze statue with said plaque on a granite base to explain why?

Eventually this grew to where else in the region do we have portions of our transit system, parks, roadways, bridges, or even cities named after historically significant people, places, or events? Further, whether or not these locations have something to commemorate their historical ties, how are they commemorated, etc?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but aside from the Lions on the Lions Gate Bridge, and the dog shit Terry Fox memorial which is thankfully being replaced, what else is there? And is there a museum or information centre in the region which catalogues in detail what things are named after in the region, and why? If there is one, could someone tell me where, cause I'd like to visit it this summer. If not, maybe a potential cultural aesthetic to add to a downtown development sometime in the future?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:49 PM

not counting the bienniale artworks

Stanley Park: Harry Jerome (the running guy in mid stride), Lord Stanley (arms held high), Robert Oppenheimer, Robert Burns

there's also a bunch of plaques and other monuments in the park. 9 o'clock gun, hallelujah point, etc

at the PNE there is one of Roger Bannister and the other guy who were part of the commonwealth games race that first beat the 4 minute mile

at Queen E park, there were a few bronze statues since one them had been stolen

we do have a good deal of parks, plaques or other monuments like Victory Square, or Dr Sat Yat Sen garden

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:00 PM

- There is the beautiful WWII memorial in Chinatown to Chinese-Canadian soldiers.
- In Stanley Park is a WWII memorial related to the Japanese
- The Girl in a Wetsuit statue at Stanley Park is inspired by the Little Mermaid Statue in Copenhagen
- There's a statue of King George VI (of King's Speech fame) outside the Woodward IRC building in UBC
- There's the Goddess of Democracy (Tiananmen Memorial) outside the UBC SUB
- The new Roger Neilson statue outside Roger's Arena
- the large Inukshuk in English Bay
- the Cambie Rocket

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:34 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The fallen soldier outside Waterfront station is one of my favourites, believe there are multiples of it throughout Canada.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:46 PM

Captain George Vancouver has a dashing statue of him in front of City Hall pointing towards the horizon, presumably from the deck of his ship from which he never disembarked while sightseeing along the West Coast.

SFU's main campus on Burnaby Mountain has a slightly larger than life statue of Terry Fox in mid-stride.

There used to be a statue of Christopher Columbus, if I recall correctly, that was in that little Italianate plaza at Clarke Drive and Grandview Highway North but that was moved about ten years ago. If I also recall correctly it was relocated to the Italianate garden at the PNE.

Good thread, by the way. I'm racking my brain to recall additional statues.

In Coal Harbour in the building to the west of the community centre there is a bronze statue of a man standing atop a waterfall with a handprint depressed into his chest over his heart. The poetry that cascades down the waterfall reads something along the lines of "in the fading light and growing darkness at the edge of the beating sea".

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:20 PM

There was the gift by the Greek community for a statue of the goddess Nike, but I don't think it has been installed yet

There's some good chainsaw carving statues at Grouse, and totem poles everywhere from Stanley Park to the UBC Museum of anthropology

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:25 PM

I love that statue at Waterfront and this topic.

The statue of our former King George VI is a replica of the one that stands in London on The Mall. The UBC statue is not displayed in a such a grand setting as its London counterpart but outside a medical building on a simple concrete plinth. More info and other statues at UBC at this link - http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/s...ulptures1.html

UBC replica

pic by BuckeyHermit on flickr

London original with the Queen Mother in front

pic by moream on panoramio

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
I love that statue at Waterfront and this topic.

The statue of our former King George VI is a replica of the one that stands in London on The Mall. The UBC statue is not displayed in a such a grand setting as its London counterpart but outside a medical building on a simple concrete plinth. More info and other statues at UBC at this link - http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/s...ulptures1.html

UBC replica

pic by BuckeyHermit on flickr

London original with the Queen Mother in front

pic by moream on panoramio
I think something like that would have better belonged at King George Station, possibly reflecting their 1939 visit to Canada just prior to WWII.

And thanks for the info folks.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:10 PM

I guess they thought at the time that naming the road the King George VI Highway(officially dedicated that in 1940) was enough in what was not that populated of an area. And even though the station has the same name, it was named for the road it's on rather than the person.

If I had lots of money and pull though, I'd have a statue or monument made and have it placed somewhere across the street from the station in Holland Park.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:12 PM

Steveston Fishermens Memorial at Garry Point. Net mending needle sculpture dedicated to those who lost their lives while fishing.

From rickysc on Photobucket

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:25 PM

there is that fountain for King Edward that used to be in front of the VAG on georgia street that was moved to the side of the VAG

flickr

there is that new bronze statue of Roger Neilson at Rogers Arena plaza area installed in the last few weeks

flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:35 PM

there is gassy jack in gastown

flickr

there is a rick hansen statue outside Rogers Arena
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-bh/651985902/sizes/l/

the runner in stanley park for Harry Winston Jerome

flickr

flickr

i don't know what this one is for but its by the museum

flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:40 PM

You just nailed my two faves, Gassy Jack and Harry Jerome.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:09 PM
Vancouverite

Even though there aren't many statues in the vancouver area, the statues we do have are quite nice.

I think that the one outside Waterfront is modeled after one in Winnipeg.

A bit offtopic but I find it very sad that on numerous occasions after announcing that the train is going towards King George, some people ask "who's king george".

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:23 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

one of my favs (has a great cameo as a LENIN statue in Sliders season 1)

Statue of Lord Stanley, Stanley Park

c/o >> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...cf888862_b.jpg

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:25 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

also I really like >>

Girl In A Westsuit, by Elek Imredy

c/o >> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3596/...26690b4f_b.jpg

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
Even though there aren't many statues in the vancouver area, the statues we do have are quite nice.

I think that the one outside Waterfront is modeled after one in Winnipeg.

A bit offtopic but I find it very sad that on numerous occasions after announcing that the train is going towards King George, some people ask "who's king george".
I don't think it's off topic at all. Why it came to mind was specifically because there aught to be something there to recognise who the man was, so that people know who he was. This is why I suggested having it in the station, or at the very base of it, and not across the street. That way for every commuter who uses it, it's in their face, and not tucked off out of the way somewhere.

Great pic of the statue of Lord Stanley.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there is that fountain for King Edward that used to be in front of the VAG on georgia street that was moved to the side of the VAG

flickr

I love that King Edward Fountain with the lion. It's elegant and aristocratic, as well as being part of Vancouver's heritage. I wish people appreciated it more. It breaks me up when people spray-paint graffiti on it. I think it should be fixed up and made into an official heritage piece. And also ... light it up at night !!!!!
Thanks for bringing it to people's attention, Sponge !!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 1:58 AM

Here's one of the Harry Jerome statue I made a month or so before the Olympics.

Shot by me, posted on Flickr.

Last edited by Spikester; Apr 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Switched to Flickr since MobileMe's galleries are b0rken.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
also I really like >>

Girl In A Westsuit, by Elek Imredy

c/o >> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3596/...26690b4f_b.jpg
All these years I thought that was a mermaid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment