HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 4:47 AM
Community Guy

sorry missed it, at my bimontupperwarecon

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 8:42 AM

As long as the city is willing to put up its 1/3rd, and either the province or city is prepared to go on the line for cost overruns it is a good idea. $500 million from each level of government sounds appropriate (the $500 million from the civic level should include private contributions as well).

If the city is willing to pony up for it, I can't see why there would be a problem. But if the city expects a free ride, that is something completely different.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 4:28 AM

Most if not all world expositions lose money, but I hope Edmonton gets it and that it's a success!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 2:53 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
As long as the city is willing to put up its 1/3rd, and either the province or city is prepared to go on the line for cost overruns it is a good idea. $500 million from each level of government sounds appropriate (the $500 million from the civic level should include private contributions as well).

If the city is willing to pony up for it, I can't see why there would be a problem. But if the city expects a free ride, that is something completely different.
it should be a like a roadway funding project IMO

1/3 city
1/3 province
1/3 owner

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 4:17 PM
HVAC guru

2009-E0560 RFP - CONSULTANT & EXPERT SERVICES FOR EDMONTON WORLD EXPOSITION 2017
Subscribe

City:
EDMONTON
Start Date:
21/04/2009
Gen Close Date:
06/05/2009

The City hereby invites the submission of Proposals for consultant and expert services relating to the bid development of a recognized exposition in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The purpose of this Request for Proposal is to secure consultants to support the bid development of a recognized exposition under the International Exhibitions Bureau

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 4:35 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ Who would be some qualified firms in the city for this? how about ideal firms outside of the city?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:03 PM

One thing I am concerned about is how it seems the city is driving this project. In Calgary and Toronto's bids, a private group came together to 'run the ball' as it were, and then approached the city for blessing. Same with Olympic bids all across the country.

In this one, it seems the city is the bid committee. Arms length 'quango' is really the best way to organize something like this.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
/\ Who would be some qualified firms in the city for this? how about ideal firms outside of the city?
What about ATB or Kasian?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:41 PM
Community Guy

^strike one.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 6:33 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^^ They are architecture firms, not consultants. Think more along the lines of KPMG.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 6:39 PM

^Okay my bad.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:53 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
One thing I am concerned about is how it seems the city is driving this project. In Calgary and Toronto's bids, a private group came together to 'run the ball' as it were, and then approached the city for blessing. Same with Olympic bids all across the country.

In this one, it seems the city is the bid committee. Arms length 'quango' is really the best way to organize something like this.

I couldn't agree more. This was something the city was told over and over again. The appearance has definitely become more of a city run initiative from the pleeb level.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 4:08 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

City council eyes next prize: Expo 2017
Failed bid builds experience for future

Chris Zdeb
The Edmonton Journal; With files from Gordon Kent

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Members of city council were taking the failed Universiade bid in stride on Saturday, looking past the disappointment and towards the city's next big challenge: landing the world's biggest fair in 2017.

And at least two city councillors say the Universiade process -- despite the outcome -- will give the city an advantage in the Expo bid by helping to raise Edmonton's profile on the international stage, as well as providing some valuable lessons in honing its pitch.

"In terms of getting as far as we did in the bid process (the final three), I think that's encouragement. And for Expo 2017, I think that would be looked at," Coun. Kim Krushell said following news that the Federation Internationale du Sport Universitaire (FISU) had awarded the summer games to Gwangju, Korea, a city of 1.45 million people located about 350 kilometres southwest of Seoul.

Coun. Jane Batty agreed with her colleague that Edmonton's top-three showing will carry weight with the Expo pitch.

"That really shows the international community's confidence in Edmonton and our ability to stage Universiade," Batty said.

"We have a wonderful reputation on the global scene: We have great volunteers, we have good infrastructure, we have a city that really is passionate about putting on international events and welcoming visitors to our city.

"Certainly we will learn from the work that went into (the Universiade) bid, and we can transfer that knowledge to Edmonton's Expo bid," Batty said.

It also can't hurt that Canada will celebrate its 150th birthday in 2017. Expo would make a great birthday gift, the councillors say.

In a statement issued from Brussels, Mayor Stephen Mandel said the loss was "disappointing, but I'm so proud of our city.

"Edmontonians came together and put forward an excellent effort. Their pride in our city spoke loud and clear," Mandel said.

Mandel has scheduled a media conference on Monday morning to discuss the bid.

Both Gary Lunn, federal minister of State (Sport), and Cindy Ady, Alberta minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation, congratulated the members of the Edmonton bid committee for the hard work that went into preparing the proposal. Lunn and Ady were also in Belgium for the announcement.

Although disappointed by the outcome, Ady said the bid process provided another opportunity to profile the province to the world and to showcase Alberta's "leading-edge sport development system and proven ability to host major international events."

Samarasekera, president of the University of Alberta and an honorary member of the Edmonton bid committee, said the university had looked forward to the opportunity to host the world's student athletes in 2015, "but we hope that our student athletes will represent Canada and the U of A at the games in great numbers."

Coun. Ron Hayter said the announcement didn't come as a complete surprise.

Many people he'd talked to suggested that Korea -- which had been the runner-up to host the 2013 games -- might have the edge in this bid.

But while the city may be out of the 2015 Universiade, it won't be out of the international sporting game for long, Hayter predicted.

"We'll cry in our beer for awhile, but I can tell you we'll be back in the game quickly because it's a very important thing for a community of our size and history that we keep bidding for important events."

According to a report done by the Edmonton Economic Development Corp., a successful bid for Universiade would have translated into a $465-million impact on the regional economy, spinning off jobs in construction, engineering and hospitality, Ron Gilbertson, EEDC president, said Friday.

Hosting any world event also raises Edmonton's profile, which may prove even more valuable in the long term, he says.

"Everybody knows about Calgary because of the Calgary (Winter) Olympics," Gilbertson said.

The city's letter of intent to be considered Canada's nominee for hosting Expo 2017 must be received by Friday, the deadline set by Heritage Canada when it called for proposals, Batty said.

Edmonton will know by early June if there are any other cities interested in hosting the event.

"We haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean to say that there isn't a city quietly putting a bid together."

The deadline for submitting actual bids is November. Heritage Canada will announce its nominee in May 2010.

czdeb@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...6068d&sponsor=

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 2:15 PM
Community Guy

City's focus now on Expo 2017

After losing bid to host University Games in 2015, mayor says lessons learned will be used to go after world's fair

BY GORDON KENT, WITH FILES FROM JOHN MACKINNON AND TRISH AUDETTE, THE EDMONTON JOURNALMAY 26, 2009 8:05 AMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Eric Newell, left, and Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel speak to media about the failed bid for Edmonton to host the 2015 Universaide.
Photograph by: Larry Wong, Edmonton Journal
Edmonton will use the lessons learned from its failed attempt to host the Universiade games to help with its bid for Expo 2017, Mayor Stephen Mandel said Monday.

Officials will look at communications, the role of the federal government, the best way to lobby, the political structure of the Expo organization and other details before city council decides in September whether to continue a process started last fall, Mandel told a news conference.

"If we can't win, we shouldn't go ahead. If we're going to go forward with this, we have to have a strategy to win."

Gwangju, South Korea, was selected Saturday to host the 2015 summer World University Games by delegates at the Federation Internationale du Sport Universitaire (FISU) meeting in Brussels.

That city's plan included a lower "cost of stay" for athletes and officials than did Edmonton's bid, as well as airfare subsidies, but Mandel said taxpayers wouldn't want governments to spend that much on Universiade operations.

"This is an issue, in my opinion, an awful lot about money, but that's sometimes the way these things work," he said. "When it was over, there was very little we could have changed, and I'm very proud of what we have done."

While bid committee chairman Eric Newell estimated the subsidies gave Gwangju a $15-million to $20-million advantage over the Edmonton proposal, he said some FISU delegates also felt it was the Korean city's turn after it lost in its previous attempt at the games.

"I don't want this to go across that Korea bought the bid," Newell said. "They put in a tremendous bid."

Rules that generally prevent the federal government from supporting more than two major sporting events in a decade mean the city won't try for the 2017 Universiade, despite the urging of some FISU delegates, he said.

Ottawa is already backing the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and Toronto's bid for the 2015 Pan American games.

After making a $2-million bid on the Universiade bid, Edmonton can now focus on Expo 2017. A letter of intent to be considered for the Canadian nomination must reach the federal government by Friday, and it will be clear by early June if there are any other cities interested.

Newell thinks the University of Alberta's south campus, the proposed site of the Universiade, would be a good world's fair location, especially with the affordable housing it would create.

While the province has never guaranteed it would back Edmonton's bid, Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett said Monday the idea may be worth pursuing now that the chance to host the Universiade has been lost.

He expects to talk to Mandel today about the bid.

"The potential contentious (issue) is whether there's community support from those residents around the university for a further expansion to accommodate (Expo), but we think we can deal with that," Blackett said.

The provincial government wants to be clear what a proposal entails before promising $700,000 toward this stage of bidding.

Meanwhile, U of A athletic director and Universiade bid committee member Dale Schulha remained in hospital in Brussels after suffering a heart attack Sunday night not long before he was to board a plane home.

Although his condition was much improved Monday, it isn't clear how long he'll be in hospital, said Mike Mahon, the U of A's dean of physical education and recreation.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sport...809/story.html

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:28 PM
Edmonton Native

Winning the bid for the University games would have strengthened Edmonton's bid for the Worlds Fair. Now its going to be a tough sell.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:38 PM

how so?
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:25 AM

This report provides a twist, I wonder if a joint bid is in the works.

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Calgary considers hosting Expo 2017

Updated: Fri May. 29 2009 18:07:16

ctvcalgary.ca

CTV News has learned Calgary's best kept secret. The city is throwing its hat in to host Expo 2017.

Edmonton has already publically said it wants to host the world's fair and has budgeted millions of dollars.

The City of Champions has also asked for financial help from the province to host Expo 2017.

It's a different story in Calgary.

After confirming the news, CTV contacted aldermen for reaction. We were told City Council is not allowed to talk about it but it would be a decision made by all council members.

Canadian Heritage confirms to CTV News that Calgary has expressed an interest in being Canada's bid city.

The formal deadline to submit a bit package isn't until November.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome
I created a thread for this in the Calgary section:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=4277346

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:33 AM
Big Dog

Joint bid? I doubt that. How would it work? Sounds more like a competition to me.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:41 PM

Yup, looks like another Battle of Alberta....... Care to place your bets, people?

--------

Battle of Alberta for Expo
Calgary stuns Edmonton with last-minute secret bid

Ryan Cormier
The Edmonton Journal; with files from the Calgary Herald

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Edmonton politicians and the Expo 2017 Committee are surprised at Calgary's last-minute bid for the event, but say their own proposal is strong enough to withstand competition.

On Friday, the last day for cities to inform Canadian Heritage of their intent to bid for the Expo, Calgary surprised everyone by throwing its name in the hat.

"We had some inkling in this past week it might happen, but nothing verified," Mayor Stephen Mandel said.

"However, Calgary has every right to bid. We'll do our business and Calgary will do theirs. It's not my job to worry about other cities. It's a free country and I don't want to get into a Calgary-Edmonton fight over this."

Mandel dismissed the idea that the two cities could work on the project together. "We're not interested in an Edmonton-Calgary bid."

Finalized bids must be into the federal government by November. Only one Canadian city will be chosen as the official national bid to compete with other cities around the world.

Tony Franceschini, retired Stantec CEO and chairman of the bidding committee, was taken by surprise by Calgary's entry.

"It seems everyone was," he said. "We've been very public about our bid for seven months. With Calgary, no one knew. It is an open competition, though.

"Our bid will be very strong, We'll make a good showing, regardless of any competition that shows up. It's exciting, it's a great showcase for the city. I like to win, but just preparing for the bid will be a bonding process for the city."

Edmonton spent $2.3 million on the first phase of the proposal. It has asked the provincial government for $1.5 million for the next phase. Mandel hopes an answer on that request will come within a week.

Expo 2017 carries an estimated price tag of between $1.6 billion and $2.3 billion.

Coun. Jane Batty, who is also on the Expo committee, said Calgary's bid shows why Edmonton wants the event.

"It shows that this Expo really is coveted. This affirms Edmonton's reasons for bidding. It's a major economic driver."

Batty was also surprised by Calgary's interest, especially considering it wasn't mentioned when Edmonton representatives met with Calgarians who had been involved in a previously failed Expo bid.

"We have been working on this for two years," she said. "Edmonton is prepared. Whether Calgary is or not, I don't know."

Coun. Tony Caterina said the Calgary bid was "very interesting.

"That's pretty close to home for us not to know about."

Caterina said it reminded him of last year, when a Calgary bid for the National Portrait Gallery followed Edmonton's own.

"I'm so surprised we hadn't heard. Calgary would have had to do a lot of work in the past year. A lot of questions are going to be asked on Monday."

Few people in Calgary knew about the bid because it appears to be a last-minute plan that was put together behind closed doors.

Last Monday, Calgary city council, at an in-camera meeting, approved funding to get the Expo committee started. The amount of money is estimated to be less than $400,000.

"We would look at putting together a thoughtful, exciting and provocative bid," Calgary Mayor Dave Bronconnier said, adding a committee will be formed to do the legwork needed before a decision on a formal bid can be made.

"It's good for Calgary in terms of showcasing where we are internationally, looking at tourism and economic development opportunities.

"There's no guarantee we're going to pursue it beyond this, but we're going to take a very good look."

Canada celebrates its 150th birthday in 2017, the same year as the Expo.

rcormier@thejournal.canwest.com

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...aa998&sponsor=

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

With Expo bid, it's Edmonton's time to step up to the next level

Gary Lamphier
Edmonton Journal

Saturday, May 30, 2009

After more than a decade at the helm, Tony Franceschini stepped down as Stantec's CEO a couple of weeks ago, handing over the reins to Bob Gomes.

But Franceschini is hardly letting the grass grow under his feet.

Although he no longer has to spend three months of every year in airplanes, or guiding Stantec's army of 10,000 employees, he already has more on his plate than most younger execs who are still clawing their way up the corporate ladder.

Besides continuing to sit on Stantec's board, Franceschini serves as a director of Aecon, a major Toronto Stock Exchange-listed construction firm;Esterline Technologies, a Seattle-based aerospace and defence supplier;ZCL Composites, a local TSX-listed maker of oil and gas storage tanks;and CCI Thermal Technologies, a privately owned Edmonton manufacturer of industrial heating products.

Oops, almost forgot.Besides his corporate gigs, Franceschini also sits on the Alberta Health Services Board, as well as the local citizen advisory board for Edmonton's Expo 2017 bid.

When he's not playing director, he's out on the trails, breaking in his new mountain bike or training for this fall's New York Marathon "That's if I can shed 20 pounds,"he laughs.He's also contemplating taking ballroom dancing lessons, and perhaps some cooking classes at NAIT.

Although Italians obviously aren't the only ones with eclectic interests, Franceschini certainly exudes the "Renaissance man" label. His passions are many, and varied.

"So far I haven't had time to figure out what (retirement) is going to be like, but I think I'll adjust. A friend of mine, (ex-North American Construction co-owner) Roger Gouin, told me work is overrated, and I'll get used to it. That's probably the best advice I've received so far. Life goes on,"he says.

With Edmonton recently losing out to Gwangju, South Korea, in its effort to land the 2015 Universiade (the world summer student athletic games), all eyes are now focused on the city's chances of winning the right to host Expo 2017. Which puts Franceschini right back where he's accustomed to being--in the thick of the action.

Any Canadian city hoping to compete for the right to host the big event --which falls on Canada's 150th birthday--was required to submit a letter of intent to the feds by Friday.

The other homegrown contenders likely won't be known for a couple of weeks, but rumours have swirled for months that Montreal, Hamilton and Ottawa will make a pitch.

Late Friday afternoon, it was revealed that Calgary, too, is entering the fray.

Regardless, the competitive fun is just beginning. Formal bids must be submitted to Ottawa by November, and the feds won't choose whichCanadian bid city they'll support until next spring.

At that point, the competition goes global. The Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions, which regulates world fairs, won't anoint the 2017 host city until mid-2011.

That's still a ways off, but Franceschini already sounds pumped up about helping Edmonton put its best face forward as the Expo 2017 competition heats up.

"I've always thought that going after an international event is very good exposure for the city and the province.

"Even if we're not successful, Expo is one of those types of events that brings together the community. By going through the process and being exposed to the global community, it will give us a chance to show what this city is all about,"he says.

"Of course, right now, people could argue,'Well you're spending money in a downturn, and maybe you should spend it somewhere else.'But I think you have to step back and look at the big picture, and relatively speaking, how much investment we're talking about. And from my perspective, this is good for the city."

I couldn't agree more.

Yes, by all means, let's take care of the basics. Those potholes really do need to be filled. And yes, city budgets are already being squeezed, as the recession grinds on. And it's true, there are many other pressing needs in Edmonton, from affordable housing to more recreational facilities to expanding the LRT.

I get that. Honestly I do.

But if Edmonton wants to escape from Calgary's shadow, and elevate its profile on a national and international level, so it's no longer viewed as some kind of remote, frigid, red-neck hick town, then it has to go to another level.

If Edmonton really aims to be a city that's vibrant and attractive, that retains its smart young graduates, that draws professionals who could live virtually anywhere on the planet, then it can't just talk about it. It has to think bigger, and aspire to be more.

Montreal has already had Expo 67. Vancouver hosted Expo 86. Calgary had the 1988 Winter Olympics. All of these cities blossomed and matured. Vancouver's dream of hosting Expo 86 was born amid one of the worst economic downturns in B.C.'shistory. Calgary's ambitions to host the Winter Olympics were also born during a period of economic misery.

Today, Edmonton is also struggling to emerge from the latest economic downturn. Yet, thanks to the proximity of the oilsands, the city's economic future is bright.

Edmonton, your time is at hand. When Canada celebrates its 150th birthday in eight years' time, the biggest party of all could be right here.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...24a53&sponsor=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton