HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 1:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I hate to hear people compare New York with anywhere else.
I do to, but its inevitable and ironic at the same time. It's usually everyone everywhere else who don't want to be "Manhattanized". Yet, these idiot NIMBYs - in Manhattan no less - don't want to be "Hong Konged". New York is the original city of tall skyscrapers, and these people act as if they've never seen a skyscraper or skyscraper shadow.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

This is of importance here...

Quote:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242008...ork_103244.htm

CITY'S YARDS-WORK
PLAN FOR NEW PARK REVEALED

By TOM TOPOUSIS
March 24, 2008

The city's long-sought plan to transform the Far West Side into a new commercial and residential district takes a step forward today, with the launch of a search for firms interested in designing a park and boulevard at the heart of the project.

The boulevard and park will run north-south between 10th and 11th avenues, eventually stretching from 33rd Street to 39th Street.

A master plan calls for an estimated 24 million square feet of new office space - more than double what's being planned at the World Trade Center - to be built in the district by 2032.

The first phase, from 33rd to 36th Street is expected to be complete in 2012. The city has acquired all of the buildings in that three-block section of the boulevard's path.

Plans call for a 30-foot-wide, tree-lined boulevard and a four-acre park.
This is the boulevard that will separate the Girasole from the tower being built by Sherwood Equities.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:30 PM

I thought I should fill you guys in on what's really happening with the Girasole. Here's what scumonkey over at WNY said:

Quote:
My Bad.....
i went by the site today and saw a lot of construction.
There was a foreman there that was nice enough to stop
what he was doing and answer some of my questions.
All the work that is presently going on at this site is completely
unrelated to the Girasole.
What looked to be the start of its foundation is actually the
station stop for the new # 7 line.
He also told me that if there still was going to be a building
located here, they couldn't start on it for at least 5 more years.
That's how long they expected it would take for them to finish
this part of the subway extension.

on another note....
The entire little park just across the street to the north, is now
completely barricaded around it's perimeter ready to be dug up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 9:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
i went by the site today and saw a lot of construction.
There was a foreman there that was nice enough to stop
what he was doing and answer some of my questions.
All the work that is presently going on at this site is completely
unrelated to the Girasole.
What looked to be the start of its foundation is actually the
station stop for the new # 7 line.
He also told me that if there still was going to be a building
located here, they couldn't start on it for at least 5 more years.
That's how long they expected it would take for them to finish
this part of the subway extension.

That makes sense, though he seems to be completely in the dark about the Girasole. The subway line is supposed to be completed by then, but I don't know how they came up with that 2011 completion date for the tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post

New York, NY
Client: The Moinian Group
Completion: 2011

Situated in the heart of Manhattans newest neighborhood, the dynamic Hudson Yards District, 3 Hudson Boulevard, "The GiraSole" will be a gateway for the West Side and an icon of green architecture for the 21st Century. From its sky gardens to the reaches of the new Hudson Boulevard Park, this new 1.6 million square foot tower will be surrounded by green. Soaring to a height of over a thousand feet, it will offer unparalleled views south and west over Hudson River Parkhttp://fxfowle.com/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 9:20 PM

Those projected completion dates are never correct.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Those projected completion dates are never correct.
I don't think the Girasole has even been finalized yet. But its in the same position as the Extell tower just to the south:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/ny...=1&oref=slogin

Manhattan: Agreement on West Side Medical Tower

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
August 1, 2007

The developers — Gary Barnett, the chief executive of the Extell Development Corporation, and Israel Green — said they planned to begin construction in early 2009. The tower would rise at 11th Avenue and 34th Street, on a site that is now home to the Copacabana nightclub.

Mr. Green has spent five years developing the concept and pursuing a Manhattan location. He said it was an opportunity for New York City to become the principal center for the $260 billion global market for medical devices and diagnostics. The project may have to wait until the city completes part of an extension of the No. 7 subway line, which passes beneath the site.
The Extell tower is supposed to begin in 2009, with completion by 2012.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 19, 2008

Work on that 7 line is progressing further than anyone thinks. Both sites (north and south) of
34th Street have been cleared and work appears to be moving rapidly.

The Girasole will sit above the northern end...

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I do to, but its inevitable and ironic at the same time. It's usually everyone everywhere else who don't want to be "Manhattanized". Yet, these idiot NIMBYs - in Manhattan no less - don't want to be "Hong Konged". New York is the original city of tall skyscrapers, and these people act as if they've never seen a skyscraper or skyscraper shadow.
NIMBYS OUT OF MANHATTAN! WTH are nimbys even doing in MANHATTAN. There are many many places for you nimbys.....North Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, etc. GET OUT OF MANHATTAN, and let the TOWERS RISE!!!!

The 'notch' at the top of GiraSole looks awesome! It would be cool to have at the bottom of the notch a park where people could stroll!

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 9:37 AM
YIMBY co-founder

^Looks to like in one of the renderings the bottom of one of the notches is a pool. IMO better than a park, but there might be a park at the other notch.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 9:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Imagine the parties up there...

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:52 PM
BANNED

The more i look at the girasole the more i love it
its a really nice tower
i smell a new icon!

and the parties would be awsome

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:31 PM
Closed account

It is very nice.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:44 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
"From its sky gardens to the reaches of the new Hudson Boulevard Park, this new 1.6 million square foot tower will be surrounded by green."
Heh... that reads like the description of Libeskind's Gardens of the World concept for the FT...

So what are the odds of this tower actually getting built? Are things strictly in proposal stage at this point, or does anyone know if things have gone further: financing secured, site prep, anything concrete at all?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:48 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
So what are the odds of this tower actually getting built? Are things strictly in proposal stage at this point, or does anyone know if things have gone further: financing secured, site prep, anything concrete at all?
From what I understand that chances seem good. There has been site prep work to the extent of closing off the plot, as shown a few posts above. I haven't been around that way in a while, so perhaps NYguy can clarify that better.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Imagine the parties up there...

I think that in the end it will turn out to be just mechanical space on top. it's probably just a publicity teaser, just like it turned out to be with NYTT's rooftop garden.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 2:37 AM
BANNED

the girasole kinda looks like the bottom of the sears tower

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
From what I understand that chances seem good. There has been site prep work to the extent of closing off the plot, as shown a few posts above. I haven't been around that way in a while, so perhaps NYguy can clarify that better.
It's advanced to the point where we've seen it presented in other archiectural models, but designs always change. As far as getting built, it's one of the so called "four corners" towers, so the developer will certainly max out on what is allowed to be built there, whatever form it takes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 3:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, it's nice to see that Moinian is at least joining the discussion on the west side...

http://afinecompany.blogspot.com/200...west-side.html
7 Train And 421-a Must Haves For West Side Development, Developers Agree

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

At today's NY Times "Vu 2008" forum on West Side development, panel members Joseph Moinian (Moinian Group), Larry Silverstein, and Ric Clark (Brookfield Properties) were all extremely bullish on the long term prospects for the far West Side, while speaking in near unison over concerns for the need for a 7 train extension (including a 41st St, station) and reinstatement of something identical or very similar to the soon to be expired 421-a program.
Silverstein said flatly that the 7 train extension is critical, otherwise development "isn't going to happen". Moinian, meanwhile alternated from the assuring statement that the developers "will have" the 7, to a more pleading statement that the train is a "must have".

Many comparisons were drawn to the eventual success of Canary Wharf in London. Silverstein aptly pointed out that the the first two developers failed and that the success only came after the availability of mass transit.
In regards to the June 30th expiration of 421-a benefits, everyone agreed that the state has gone too far and that a reinstatement of something very similar or identical is needed to spur development while providing affordable housing.

Moinian saw the expiration as a "major concern", while Silverstein noted that 'affordable housing would be impossible without the 421-a. Steven Spinola, President of REBNY, saw the expiration as "frightening". While the terminology used was fairly dramatic, the vibe from the participants was that the state would figure this out, make adjustments, and eventually the problem will blow over.

The only area of any substantive disagreement was of the impact of the credit crisis. Silverstein sees a ground shift and a much more conservative approach on the part of banks. Clark saw this as a much more short term issue, he said 'a financial crisis seems to crop up every 10 years or so, and 5 years later they seem to forget about it'. Moinian pointed out that when institutions jump back in, New York is the #1 place that institutions will invest.

It was somewhat remarkable that 3 diverse developers could have such a broad consensus. Now if we could only see the same on the part of Bloomberg, Schumer, and Dolan, we'd be all set.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:31 PM

According to the posted section the building has 67 floors. We'll keep that figure till something more reliable comes up.

my floor count; each dot = 1 floor, line = 5 fl, double line = 10 fl

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2...orcountwj3.jpg

Last edited by Lecom; Aug 5, 2008 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

What is the update on this one? It's been practically unheard of for months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction