HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's not a very nice fact but the reality is that these murder rates also track closely with certain minority groups.

Around 2/3 of homicide victims in Winnipeg are aboriginal, and aboriginals make up around 11% of the city's population (I didn't see statistics on perpetrators). We can debate how or why this phenomenon exists but if you're an average Canadian travelling to Winnipeg your chance of being murdered isn't significantly higher there than it is in cities that never end up on the "murder capital" list. Most murders in every Canadian city are disadvantaged people killing each other.

The low homicide cities in North America are mostly the ones that simply don't have these minority groups. I think it's fair to say in a lot of cases that they have lower murder rates because they weren't faced with the same social challenges, not because they have some kind of special character that makes their inhabitants murder each other less.

It's the same with refugees and low incomes. A city with lower incomes might not be harder on poor people. It might actually be more generous in accepting poor people, while the city that rejects them will have less poverty (without doing as much to solve the global problem of poverty).

Another similar situation I can think of is surgeons who take on easier or harder cases. The best surgeons might have the worst outcomes if they take the most difficult patients who are the most likely to die.
On top of violent crime disproportionately effecting minority groups, specifically Aboriginal people in Winnipeg, the crime in the city is extremely concentrated.
Winnipeg has had 44 homicides in the past two years (July 2016 - July 2018), and of those 44, 8 have been in the William Whyte neighborhood alone, which is one of the 237 neighborhoods in the city and home to only a little over 6,000 people. 31 of the 149 shootings in that same time period have been in this neighborhood as well.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:25 PM

Winnipeg looks to be on pace for it's lowest homicide count in I'm sure at least two decades, only 11 homicides so far this year.
Although overall violent crimes are up considerably.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 7:12 PM
Moran supreme

Triple murder in Calgary but the police are saying nothing. Now at a 1.267 rate.

Last edited by speedog; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Every place has its dark sides, though. Quebec's are just different ones.

At this point in its history, I find Quebec's is often an almost callous "sucks to be you" mindset. To someone who moves here from the rest of Canada it's almost jarring how people are less likely to hold the door for you, let you into traffic, give or volunteer for charities, etc. Quebec seems to be the place where you always have the odd news story where a municipality sends a bill for a damaged guardrail to the family of a person who died in an accident...

Of course the same people who did this stuff are the same ones who socially can be totally charming, outgoing and fun.

It's part of the enigma of Quebec.

Now I know some people will point to more generous social programs and policies that cost us a fortune, and that this shows a more charitable nature. But I see this as us simply outsourcing the requirement to be charitable in everyday life to the government. Much the same way that being charitable was outsourced to the Catholic church for many centuries here.
Funny, isn't this approximately what Andrew Potter was saying in his article that led to his resignation / being forced to resign?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 11:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Funny, isn't this approximately what Andrew Potter was saying in his article that led to his resignation / being forced to resign?
But I am a Joe Schmo on an online forum not a senior academic in a prestigious university. His piece was poorly done.

Last edited by Acajack; Aug 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 10:28 PM

Toronto still at 59. Been a very quiet last two weeks, shootings and victims are now on pace with the last two years but homicides are still up

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Acajack speaks too much for others.*experiences may vary

I, for myself, left Ottawa because of cold hearted jerks that would sell their souls for a government promotion. But I don't generalize it. I have nothing good to say about Ottavians but wouldn't write an editorial about it. It's all a matter of relationships/perspectives.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:24 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Acajack speaks too much for others.*experiences may vary.
Hey I thought I was one of your favourites!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Hey I thought I was one of your favourites!
One statement doesn't prevent the other.

What's different in Québec in general is the "community" feeling of English Canada. The community is usually a tightly-knit small town mentality. Even for neighbourhoods in Toronto, that feeling is present.

But that's a double-sided sword, if you're not liked in that community, you're screwed. If you need help, strangers will offer in QC. You just need to ask, which seems counterintuitive to most as they expect the help to be offered without asking.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

But that's a double-sided sword, if you're not liked in that community, you're screwed. If you need help, strangers will offer in QC. You just need to ask, which seems counterintuitive to most as they expect the help to be offered without asking.
Interesting you should mention that specifically. My wife is Franco-Ontarian but her social mores were very Ontario-Ontarian. This was one of the hardest things she found about adapting to life in Quebec. She's acclimatized and loves Quebec now, but it was tough for a while getting used to this (and a few other things).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
One statement doesn't prevent the other.

What's different in Québec in general is the "community" feeling of English Canada. The community is usually a tightly-knit small town mentality. Even for neighbourhoods in Toronto, that feeling is present.
It's always seemed to me that in Quebec the "community" has about 7 million people in it. That's where people's mindspace seems to be on this.

This is also a double-edged sword. In some cases this means everyone is a friend, but it can also mean that sometimes no one is a true friend and everyone is a stranger.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It's always seemed to me that in Quebec the "community" has about 7 million people in it. That's where people's mindspace seems to be on this.

This is also a double-edged sword. In some cases this means everyone is a friend, but it can also mean that sometimes no one is a true friend and everyone is a stranger.
Yup, that has been my feeling as well. I prefer the franco-ontarian mentality hence why my house is in Ontario. Most of my friends are in MTL though.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Hence the universal outrage in French media when someone outside the province criticize social aspects of the province.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Hence the universal outrage in French media when someone outside the province criticize social aspects of the province.
... as it's seen as an attack on the "family".

(Though some of the criticism is valid, some of it can be grossly unfair at times as well.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yup, that has been my feeling as well. I prefer the franco-ontarian mentality hence why my house is in Ontario. Most of my friends are in MTL though.
I lived in Ontario for about 20 years, and I honestly don't know what the Franco-Ontarian mentality is. It's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, and varies from community to community, from family to family, and even from individual to invididual. Some people are very similar to the Québécois, whereas others are like Anglo-Canadians who just happen to speak French. And some are in the middle of course.

Though my sense is that overall most Franco-Ontarians these days are moving more towards Anglo-Canada in terms of temperament/mentality.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:24 AM

Looks like Fredericton is going onto the list now. Got an incident on going on the north side. Police responded around 7:30AM with the full force it seems.

This was just tweeted out:

Quote:
Re: Shooting. At this time, we can confirm multiple fatalities. The incident is ongoing. More information will be available when we can. Please continue to avoid the area of Brookside Drive between Main and Ring Road.
At least 4 killed.

Updated Tweet:

Quote:
Please continue to avoid the area of Brookside Drive between Main and Ring Road. An incident has resulted in at least four people killed. More information will be available when we can confirm.

Further update, 2 of the dead were Police officers.

Quote:
Of the four people killed in this morning's shootings on Brookside Drive, two were Fredericton Police officers. No names are being released at this time. Please appreciate this is a difficult time for their families and our colleagues. We will provide more info when we can.

Last edited by Taeolas; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:17 PM
Community Guy

Incredibly sad news.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Incredibly sad news.
Indeed. Brings back memories of the killing of four RCMP constables in Moncton four years ago. That happened in my neighbourhood and it was pretty surreal seeing armoured vehicles at intersections, helicopters overhead and Mounties walking around with assault rifles at barricades for the 36 hours afterwards until the perpetrator was caught.

They have one person in custody, but I think that neighbourhood in northside Freddy is still in lockdown.........

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Incredibly sad news.
There is a suspect in custody, being treated for serious injuries relating to this morning's incident (according to the police twitter feed).

The lockdown has been lifted, and now the healing can begin.

I'm not positive, but I think this is the first time cops have been killed in NB since the Mounties in Moncton a few years back.

It may be the first murders in Freddy this year, if not a year or so. As for Cop deaths, I don't even know when the last in the line of duty death was.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
I lived in Ontario for about 20 years, and I honestly don't know what the Franco-Ontarian mentality is. It's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, and varies from community to community, from family to family, and even from individual to invididual. Some people are very similar to the Québécois, whereas others are like Anglo-Canadians who just happen to speak French. And some are in the middle of course.

Though my sense is that overall most Franco-Ontarians these days are moving more towards Anglo-Canada in terms of temperament/mentality.
It's the same as "Brayon" mentality for me, which is anglo mentality while speaking French, but still in the QC media-sphere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada