HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
How cool would this have been for One Beale to go along with the New Bridge and the Pyramid

That's under construction at the Hard Rock in South Florida
Someone tried to do the same thing in Nashville with a guitar-shaped condo building. Nobody liked that idea.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:28 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
I agree. Lifelong Tiger fan and the upgrades especially Tiger Lane put the stadium as a much better experience than it was 10 years ago. Of course there's work they could do, especially concessions and restrooms. But it's a great stadium for sightlines etc. Too big for the Tigers? Yes. But again they're tied in with the Liberty Bowl and SHC so that makes everything more complicated for any replacement for the time being. Would love an on campus stadium but don't see that happening anytime soon. In 20 years or so I'm sure replacement talk will come. We'll see where things can go whenever that happens.
Spot on. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to attend Tiger games on campus, but I’m very happy with the improvements. Everything from Tiger lane, the video board and on field product has made the game day atmosphere much better. Continued improvements to the LBMS will be worth the investment until as you mentioned the UofM is able to make that jump.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Spot on. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to attend Tiger games on campus, but I’m very happy with the improvements. Everything from Tiger lane, the video board and on field product has made the game day atmosphere much better. Continued improvements to the LBMS will be worth the investment until as you mentioned the UofM is able to make that jump.

UofM is at a major disadvantage to generate revenue off of football due to excess capacity. (See Kroger cheap tix)
And the limited amount of value added seats. Yes, the addition of more chair backs have helped a bit but the gap is still wide compared to peer schools (see Central Florida and Houston. Facts are facts, the LB is a financial constraints.on U of M football program. No one is advocating for a billion dollar stadium but one could be had for half that or less that would serve Memphis for another 30 to 40 years. And... it needs to be downtown just like the Forum. There are so many other uses that could be found for it. An off the wall one is the bring the best rides of European fun fairs over for a month or two (Jan/Feb) for a one off or every two or three year event that would attract coaster enthusiasts from all over North America to Memphis in an otherwise dead period. This an example from Cleveland, but like I said, from european fun fairs like getting Olympia Looping from the video here.

http://www.pluggedincleveland.com/ev...4860626711.jpg

https://youtu.be/ZvI4Tl6nZ8o

Another idea is that after the Liberty Bowl do an extended winter event with tube runs and ice rinks.

Now if Memphis could retrofit the LB with one of the these new retractable fabric ( like Vancover and Warsaw)and even translucent roofs over the existing superstructure then I will stop my protests against the place. Especially if it could incorporate a new facade around stadium. Tear down the end zones and add suites, loge, and club seating on one end and better access to the field on the other and I'm on board. It was once explored with the inflatable versions but dropped. The ADA needs still need to be addressed.

A small soccer specific venue off Beale is still much better than soccer on a diamond.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Jan 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:32 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
UofM is at a major disadvantage to generate revenue off of football due to excess capacity. (See Kroger cheap tix)
And the limited amount of value added seats. Yes, the addition of more chair backs have helped a bit but the gap is still wide compared to peer schools (see Central Florida and Houston. Facts are facts, the LB is a financial constraints.on U of M football program. No one is advocating for a billion dollar stadium but one could be had for half that or less that would serve Memphis for another 30 to 40 years. And... it needs to be downtown just like the Forum. There are so many other uses that could be found for it. An off the wall one is the bring the best rides of European fun fairs over for a month or two (Jan/Feb) for a one off or every two or three year event that would attract coaster enthusiasts from all over North America to Memphis in an otherwise dead period. This an example from Cleveland, but like I said, from european fun fairs like getting Olympia Looping from the video here.
It is not in the best interest of the UofM to play football in a City owned stadium downtown. The disadvantage that the UofM has now is that the LBMS is not on campus, the size does not create a demand, the City of Memphis is the landlord, etc.

Why would the City build a downtown stadium with only 40,000 seats ? (what the UofM needs) - that would completely eliminate the Liberty Bowl and SHC, who want the ability to sell 58,000 tickets each year, even if they rarely do.

The UofM is at a disadvantage because it can't control its own venue on its own property. If any new stadium of any size is built in the City, it will be by the University.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:14 PM

This is the Polish National Stadium in Poland. It seats about 56,000 for Soccer although Capacity is listed at around 58,000 for Soccer and 70k plus for concerts.

It has lots of exibition space beneath the playing field along with subterranean parking. Since this would not be part of a convention project, all that can be nixed. It has a modern retractable fabric roof and can grow natural grass in Poland.

This would be my template for anursing ro replace the LBMS. I would simply lose the upper deck of end but keep a large flat plaza that would knock down permanent capacity to around 51 to 52 thousand. I never said just 40,000. That would truely be a U of M only sized stadium for on campus. The upperdeck less end could add in temp seating for the SHC or Liberty Bowl like we have seen in the past at other venues. See how the Alamo Dome would set up for Basketball with temp seating. Mix the chair back seat it blue gray and white to blend in any empties as opposed to stark aluminum sliver and concrete. Still a bit big for the Tigers but with lots of value added seats.
[IMG]photos/40/51/72/8560300/7/1024x1024.jpg[/IMG]

Hell, The U of should build it downtown as a annex campus sans Memphis City and County.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 3:45 AM

Should St. Jude Build an On-Campus Stadium?
Gates Of Memphis

Quote:
Let's get real. If St. Jude is serious about becoming a major research institution, they'll need a new stadium. The only question is, where? There are those who think a renovation of the Liberty Bowl will suffice. But a renovation will not provide the state-of-the-art amenities that patients and researchers have come to expect of a top flight research institution. Again, where? Here's my proposed, on-campus, location for the stadium.
http://gatesofmemphis.blogspot.com/2...s-stadium.html

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jan 20, 2018 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:04 PM

Container Apartments, Warehouse Moving Ahead
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
the Memphis and Shelby County Board of Adjustment approved local entrepreneur Fred Spikner’s concept for a multifamily development in the Medical District made from recycled shipping containers. Spikner told The Daily News in December that he was planning to build a complex that consists of 14 two-bedroom, one-bath units measuring 640 square feet each. Though the case was held for a month and planning staff recommended rejection, Spikner’s project was ultimately approved with a few conditions by the board.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-moving-ahead/

rendering (Spikner Enterprises)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
The UofM is at a disadvantage because it can't control its own venue on its own property. If any new stadium of any size is built in the City, it will be by the University.
Considering most students don't live on campus and it's just a short trip down Central Avenue, I don't see U. Memphis ceding use of a stadium at the fairgrounds. The sports programs have been given a lot of room for upgrades & expansion to facilities on the South Campus, but their finite real-estate for academic expansion is far too limited & valuable for a stadium & a fraction of the parking it would require.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:18 PM

Vibrant Memphis sports scene adds pro soccer
By Don Wade/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The FedEx St. Jude Classic (FESJC) is the granddaddy of the local sports scene with its six decades of pro golf history. Joining the landscape for the 2017-18 season is the Grizzlies’ G League affiliate Memphis Hustle, which like the minor league hockey Mississippi RiverKings, plays in the Landers Center in Southaven. The USL soccer team is latest sports entry into the market.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...0/what-a-kick/

image MDN

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...0/what-a-kick/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:46 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Considering most students don't live on campus and it's just a short trip down Central Avenue, I don't see U. Memphis ceding use of a stadium at the fairgrounds. The sports programs have been given a lot of room for upgrades & expansion to facilities on the South Campus, but their finite real-estate for academic expansion is far too limited & valuable for a stadium & a fraction of the parking it would require.
All of what you’ve stated is very true and are reasons why an on campus stadium probably won’t come back into discussion for a long time; however, depending on the City’s investment in the LBMS over the next two to three decades, another solution may be needed. I doubt any significant amount of improvements would even venture near the cost to construct a new stadium, but it’s something to think about.

My only gripe with not playing on campus is it creates a disconnect between alumni and campus. I no longer live in Memphis; however, I’ve made numerous trips to Memphis for football games - without a special trip to campus, I don’t see it. Interaction with campus by alumni does promote donation levels.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:13 AM

does anyone know why there are so many missing and outdated info on the diagrams pages for Memphis.
1. Horizon towers 1 is now the Artesian and tower 2 is canceled
have you guys ever contacted any of the illustrators about missing illustrations ?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdriver View Post
does anyone know why there are so many missing and outdated info on the diagrams pages for Memphis.
1. Horizon towers 1 is now the Artesian and tower 2 is canceled
have you guys ever contacted any of the illustrators about missing illustrations ?
Yes, but the diagrams don't seem to be as active these days. I actually had The Pyramid reclassified as primary "mixed-use" & secondary "pyramid" due to it being an observation deck with an independent elevator shaft. So, it appeared on the diagram for a while, but was recently removed. The GoldStrike tower had to be left in its lone Tunica, MS diagram despite being in the Memphis metropolitan area. There's no 99 Tower Place, 2-story FAA building with 320 ft. multi-level ATC tower at MEM Int'l. like other city diagrams, etc.. The Memphis diagram is very underrepresented.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jan 24, 2018 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:32 AM

Trader Joe’s Coming to Germantown
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
It looks like the Memphis area is finally getting a Trader Joe's. A $750,000 building permit application that lists Trader Joe’s as a tenant has been filed with the Office of Construction Code Enforcement. The permit application, which simply reads “tenant buildout,” is for the popular store’s on-again-off-again location at 2130 Exeter Road in Germantown.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...in-germantown/

photo MDN

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:07 PM

Exclusive: Midtown developer buys prominent parcel, plans new apartment building
Jacob Steimer/Memphis Business Journal

Behind the paywall but apartments coming to the lot where the Van rental place currently is on Madison near Overton Square.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...nt-parcel.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Exclusive: Midtown developer buys prominent parcel, plans new apartment building
Jacob Steimer/Memphis Business Journal

Behind the paywall but apartments coming to the lot where the Van rental place currently is on Madison near Overton Square.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...nt-parcel.html
I remember an article in the CA either 2016 or 2017 about this property. It was about how the owner have been receiving offers for this property since Overton Square's revitalization. He was holding out, and didn't get a offer he would budge on. I guess a offer came he couldn't turn down.

On a side note.. I still wonder what would have been developed if the Dairy plant would of decided to move across the street.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:11 PM

And.. yet more apartments in Overton Square.

Flats at Overton Square to offer live/work units- Tom Bailey/ The Commercial Appeal- 2/6/18

"The Overton Square brand is expanding with the construction of a 16-unit apartment building to go with the existing restaurants, shops and theaters.

Flats at Overton Square will rise on an empty lot on Diana at Monroe, a block southwest of the Midtown entertainment district. Construction is to start this spring and be completed by early 2019.

The development continues a trend toward placing beds in and around the Square to go with all the entertainment and food. Overton Square owner Loeb Properties plans a 100-room boutique hotel next to Hattiloo Theatre, and neighboring landlord Taylor Caruthers plans to erect a building of ground-floor retail and upper-level apartments immediately west of Overton Square, across from the Prairie Farms milk plant."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...its/308454002/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:53 PM

^ Great to see, but, man, what a bland, lifeless design. Maybe the finished product will look better.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:25 PM

Article with updates of 3 developments meeting soon for zoning changes:

Starting with everyone's favorite adding acreage to it's plan--- One Beale

Also talks about the apartment project going up across from Minglewood Hall in Midtown and new condos on S Front.

Infill Frenzy: One Beale, Midtown Close to P&H, and South Main

Posted By Toby Sells/Memphis Flyer Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM

https://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlo...close-to-pandh

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:30 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...e-project.html
Quote:
A New York developer is planning to turn Downtown Memphis' tallest building into a 550-room Loews Hotel, with about 220 apartments. The investors are also planning a 34-story office building next door.
Quote:
ans for the project inspected by the Memphis Business Journal call for a major transformation of 100 N. Main, the high rise that for several years has been vacant, has been in and out of Shelby County Environmental Court and has been in the hands of several property owners.

The renovations of the building's street-level main floor would include 20,000 square feet of retail space, a 7,500-square-foot hotel lobby and a 10,000-square-foot restaurant and bar. Other floors would include a spa, another restaurant, and the hotel rooms and apartments.

New York-based Townhouse Management Co., doing business as THM Memphis Acquisitions LLC, is the owner and would-be developer of 100 N. Main. According to the company's website, Townhouse acquires, develops and manages residential, commercial, retail and mixed-use properties throughout the New York metro area.

The project plans MBJ reviewed also show 88 N. Main St., located next door to 100 N. Main, with a 12-floor, roughly 1,300-space parking garage at the base of the building. Each of the two floors directly above the garage would contain 35,000-square-foot ballrooms. From there, two office towers would rise, 19 stories each. The towers would contain a total of 467,000 square feet of office space.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:33 PM

A Lot of infill development announced for Downtown and Midtown. Can't wait for more.

Here's what some part of the project in Midtown looks like that's across from MingleWood Hall

Also apartments in the Downtown area near the train station been announced. (Next to the Blue Monkey)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations