HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I thought the Circle reconstruction project is only replacing the portion of 290 that goes through the interchange itself? I don't think they are replacing any sections east of Desplaines (sans the on and off ramps). I could be wrong though.
No, the Circle project includes reconstruction of I-290 as far east as the west edge of Canal, including the offramps at Canal.

Unfortunately this does not include any streetscaping, plaza space, etc under the viaduct but the new piers will be somewhat decorative and there will be new lighting installed that should make the area beneath the highway more inviting at night.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 12:27 PM

There was a building permit issued last week, for $5M, for this:

"INTERIOR RENOVATION OF EXISTING SPACE AT LEVEL 2 & 4+5E FOR MARKETING OFFICE & SPEC OFFICE SUITE. (STRUCTURAL PEER REVIEW)**CERTIFIED CORRECTIONS- - SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTIONS & AUDIT "

Is this both an actual company building out and 601W having an actual tenant already, or just all spec? It does mention specifically marketing office

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There was a building permit issued last week, for $5M, for this:

"INTERIOR RENOVATION OF EXISTING SPACE AT LEVEL 2 & 4+5E FOR MARKETING OFFICE & SPEC OFFICE SUITE. (STRUCTURAL PEER REVIEW)**CERTIFIED CORRECTIONS- - SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTIONS & AUDIT "

Is this both an actual company building out and 601W having an actual tenant already, or just all spec? It does mention specifically marketing office
Pretty sure it's just the spec suite and some common areas. Spec suite/ marketing on 4+5E and level 2 might be stuff near the lobby.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammisAran View Post
Pretty sure it's just the spec suite and some common areas. Spec suite/ marketing on 4+5E and level 2 might be stuff near the lobby.

Took a picture of the North-East corner of the building today. You can see how the floors in the Northern block of the building don't match up with the East section. It's easy to tell by the condition of the windows that the 2nd floor, which is connected to the lobby as some sort of mezzanine is part of that permit.

Then in the North section, you've got the 4th floor with the nice looking windows, and then further south on the eastern face of the building you have 5E with it's windows looking new and shiny.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:09 PM

Da mayor is supposedly doing his big reveal today

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:50 PM

Inside the Old Main Post Office, a $500 million 'blank canvas'
Ryan Ori | Contact Reporter | Chicago Tribune
September 27, 2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Chicago’s prominence in the mail-order catalog industry led to the creation of the world’s largest post office in the city in the 1930s, when the old main post office was completed.

These days, a small army of construction workers is pushing aside the dust of those bygone days — more than 23 tons of debris have been hauled away so far — as part of a $500 million plan to convert the art deco behemoth into modern offices, restaurants, shops, entertainment and park space.

In the process, owner 601W Cos. wants to bring the long-vacant post office full circle. As it happens, e-commerce giant Amazon, today’s master of home deliveries, is seeking a home for a 50,000-employee second headquarters.
Quote:
The Post Office, as it’s called now, fronts the Chicago River and straddles Congress Parkway. With contiguous floors of up to 250,000 square feet, The Post Office will have the largest office floor plates in the city.

With 2.5 million square feet of office space, and the ability to build millions of additional square feet on adjacent land, it is one of just a few Chicago sites that appear capable of meeting Amazon’s long-term need of 8 million square feet. Another key factor cited by Amazon in its H2Q plans: public transportation.

New York-based 601W plans to pursue “HQ2,” and might even consider combining forces with another nearby redevelopment, at Union Station, to land the deal, Whiting said.

Last edited by OhioGuy; Sep 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:05 PM
Urbane observer

If memory serves, there are four different buildings within what we call the Old Post Office. There's the office tower with lobby on Van Buren, the Terminal Building (from a decade earlier) facing east, and the workroom sections to the west and south along Harrison, with other floor levels because of the loading docks. Office tower is probably 12-foot ceilings, workroom areas 20-to-24-foot ceilings, and the Terminal something in between.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:22 PM

Interesting to hear 601 talk about teaming up with Riverside for a bid.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
If memory serves, there are four different buildings within what we call the Old Post Office. There's the office tower with lobby on Van Buren, the Terminal Building (from a decade earlier) facing east, and the workroom sections to the west and south along Harrison, with other floor levels because of the loading docks. Office tower is probably 12-foot ceilings, workroom areas 20-to-24-foot ceilings, and the Terminal something in between.
From what I've seen from the inside, you are correct. I'm interested to see how the division of the different floors and possibly tenants shakes out.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Inside the Old Main Post Office, a $500 million 'blank canvas'
Ryan Ori | Contact Reporter | Chicago Tribune
September 27, 2017, 10:25 AM
Looks like your link got broken somehow. Heres the actual link:

Inside the old main post office, a $500 million 'blank canvas'

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammisAran View Post
Looks like your link got broken somehow. Heres the actual link:

Inside the old main post office, a $500 million 'blank canvas'
Thanks. Not sure what happened but I edited my post so that the link works.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 8:22 PM

I really can't imagine a more perfect fit for Amazon. This is made for them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 9:21 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I really can't imagine a more perfect fit for Amazon. This is made for them.
Literally, when considering the history of the building. The Sears mail catalog is what spurred its construction to begin with. Amazon would bring everything around full circle, since they are the digital hiers to the Sears and Wards of yesteryear.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 10:08 PM

They've added a short video to the website - http://www.thepostofficechi.com

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 10:09 PM

I love this quote from the Tribune article. Makes me think that developers read this forum frequently:
Quote:
New York-based 601W plans to pursue “HQ2,” and might even consider combining forces with another nearby redevelopment, at Union Station, to land the deal, Whiting said.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:04 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
They've added a short video to the website - http://www.thepostofficechi.com
Excellent vid. So glad we get to keep this gem in the city instead of it being demolished like so many other great buildings.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I love this quote from the Tribune article. Makes me think that developers read this forum frequently:
It probably has more to do with Amtrak owning Union Station, and the Post Office sits above Amtrak tracks so there's already a certain level of familiarity between the two.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Quite a lot of activities available on the rooftop
The one thing I don't particularly like about this location is this side of the building. It's not at all inviting as a pedestrian. Concrete & ashphalt everywhere, no trees, a noisy highway, etc. I was in Seattle earlier this month and walked around Amazon's campus there, including the three new highrises and biospheres that have been constructed. From a biking & pedestrian perspective, Amazon has done a fantastic job making the new neighborhood feel fresh and inviting. I wish it was possible for the freeway to be below grade around Jefferson and rise up to its current level at some point underneath the Post Office to continue at its current level across the river. It could be capped above, with both the Clinton & Canal streetscapes modified to improve the pedestrian experience in that area. Of course that's probably quite difficult given the blue line subway that's already there and any potential Clinton subway in the future. And perhaps the decline/incline to achieve a below grade highway over a few blocks is simply too much. I just wish the west side of the building had a higher quality pedestrian experience to better match what Amazon seems to prefer given how much attention they gave to pedestrians & cyclists when designing their Seattle campus. It seems to be something that was important to them there, so I would think it would behoove backers of Amazon locating at the Post Office to do something creative to allow for a quality pedestrian experience here as well.

Last edited by OhioGuy; Sep 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:40 PM

I'm pretty confidant the city would agree to basically any streetscape improvements Amazon requested here short of burying the highway.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
The one thing I don't particularly like about this location is this side of the building. It's not at all inviting as a pedestrian. Concrete & ashphalt everywhere, no trees, a noisy highway, etc. I was in Seattle earlier this month and walked around Amazon's campus there, including the three new highrises and biospheres that have been constructed. From a biking & pedestrian perspective, Amazon has done a fantastic job making the new neighborhood feel fresh and inviting. I wish it was possible for the freeway to be below grade around Jefferson and rise up to its current level at some point underneath the Post Office to continue at its current level across the river. It could be capped above, with both the Clinton & Canal streetscapes modified to improve the pedestrian experience in that area. Of course that's probably quite difficult given the blue line subway that's already there and any potential Clinton subway in the future. And perhaps the decline/incline to achieve a below grade highway over a few blocks is simply too much. I just wish the west side of the building had a higher quality pedestrian experience to better match what Amazon seems to prefer given how much attention they gave to pedestrians & cyclists when designing their Seattle campus. It seems to be something that was important to them there, so I would think it would behoove backers of Amazon locating at the Post Office to do something creative to allow for a quality pedestrian experience here as well.
I'm sure 601W plans on doing something on that side to improve the pedestrian experience with or without Amazon. It just hasn't been shown in any renders yet because the immediate focus has been elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development