HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 12:55 PM
National Capital Region

Relevé Ottawa [400 Albert St] | 78/98m | 23/29f | U/C

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 1:28 PM
Living With My Mother

First I recall hearing of this.

Is it the CS Coop site?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 1:29 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 1:44 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Nice! I love that we're seeing some more proposals for this area. The building's not bad either. I'm still not too excited that Bay is going to have the parking garage front it, but the rest of the building is decent.

To clarify, they own the Alterna Savings site but are only putting this building at the corner of Bay and Slater? I'm hoping this means they plan to construct other phases on the rest of the property.
That is correct they will build up the site in phases.

This building will be where the star is:

More elevations:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:08 PM

I think in this instance and the block immediately north, the city should force developers to make whatever arrangements/exchanges necessary to have the entire city blocks come under the ownership of the same developer so that we can avoid blank walls and weird-ass incomplete-looking developments.

This is such a waste to have only 23 stories and to not even be able to develop the whole block properly in a coherent and cohesive fashion on such a prime plot of land.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:18 PM

Meh not bad I guess... height sucks as usual. With the recent "overload" of condos on the market I'm wondering if this could be build as rentals? I mean, new rental buildings are extremely rare these days and a lot of people want to live downtown in nice/new(er) places but can't afford to buy, this could be a good opportunity. Not everyone renting wants to live in a 1950's commie block with old carpets and bad insulation...

This part of town also needs new projects and such as its looking pretty rough (compared to downtown east).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 PM

The problem is the 1950s/1960s places are much cheaper due to rent control and new rentals built today can't compete.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Downtown property once sought for a central library now planned for condos

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 29, 2015 | Last Updated: July 29, 2015 11:23 AM EDT

One of downtown’s most prominent redevelopment sites now has a proposal, with a rezoning request filed with the city to replace the Alterna Savings credit-union building on Slater Street with a condo tower.

The city itself had once wanted to buy the whole block between Bay and Lyon streets for a new central library but wasn’t willing to meet Alterna’s demands for its headquarters. After that plan fell through, Alterna sold out to Broccolini, which now wants to build a 23-storey condominium.

It would be the first phase of three on the block, the company’s application for a rezoning says. Although Broccolini has previously said it has some pretty ambitious ideas for the property, the current proposal is for a fairly ordinary downtown buildings: condos up top, stores on the ground floor, a parking garage underneath. The company needs the city’s approval for a building that’s 75 metres tall instead of the current maximum of 46 (which is about 14 floors), to include less bike parking than would usually be needed (132 spots instead of 148), and to fill much of the ground level with retail instead of gardens or grass.

The proposal actually fits better with the city’s vision for downtown than the current rules allow, says the company’s application — busy sidewalks with storefronts instead of just entrances to condo lobbies tucked away behind planters, for instance. It’s also about 30 seconds’ walk from the nearest entrance to the light-rail system the city’s building.

(On the other hand, the plan also calls for a loading dock just off Bay Street, which trucks will get into by backing into a turn across a bike lane.)

No date has been set yet for city council’s planning committee to consider the proposal.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/davidreevely

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ned-for-condos

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:58 PM

^ Fire off an email to McKenney with that info, and attend a meeting if you can (unfortunately they're always in the middle of the day, so typically only retired people can attend... yet another instrument of gerontocracy).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 6:02 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 6:54 PM

It's not bad but last year they said they had "crazy ideas" for this site. http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Constr...w-management/1

They hyped up their plans but it's not as amazing as they said.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM

I hereby order any development application that includes a hand drawn 'theme park-esque' map to be IMMEDIATELY rejected.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:36 PM

23 Stories...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:47 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
I hereby order any development application that includes a hand drawn 'theme park-esque' map to be IMMEDIATELY rejected.
good one! that is actually straight from the City's Official Plan - there are quite a few in there
http://ottawa.ca/en/official-plan-0/...0-central-area

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
good one! that is actually straight from the City's Official Plan - there are quite a few in there
http://ottawa.ca/en/official-plan-0/...0-central-area

Thats despicable. It isn't a child colouring book, its a freaking official document....

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
That won't make this part of the city vibrant because people will have to avoid getting run over when just walking down the street.
Isn’t this the same kind of alarmist BS you guys like to nail parents about? “Oh my God, won’t someone think of the …adults?”

Anyway, on a more serious note...I hate that it's only 23 stories. They should have aimed higher. But I do love that it's another pure Downtown project. The city should be focusing on developing/redevloping the CBD and make highrise projects outside the CBD (like westboro, hintonburg, little italy, etc..) very low priorities. Funnel the money and the people into downtown first and then move onto other areas

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:41 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:31 PM

Besserer & Waller are awful messes. That area is extremely pedestrian unfriendly for the most part (although it does have automatic pedestrian signals, a convenience rare in Ottawa). It's easy enough to avoid though; just take a slight detour and walk down Cumberland or Nicholas instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa