HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 2:05 PM

The Official Annapolis Valley Projects Thread

Since there are at least three forumers who live in the Valley I hope this thread can be kept up-to-date. To be generous the thread is for any area between Mt. Uniacke (Halifax/Hants line) and Digby/Weymouth area. So basically all of West Hants, Kings, Annapolis, and Digby counties.

To kick this thread off here is an article from today's Chonicle Herald. The development itself is nothing special (or even big) however with the aging population in rural Nova Scotia I think the developer has some valid points. Discrimination isn't the answer however if the developer desire so I think allowing a set percentage of units to be set aside for seniors might be a good way to promote senior living communities. This would help concentrate families into smaller areas therefore reducing the spread of schools and other amenities that families will need but seniors may not.

The secretive discrimination of families in apartment/condo developments is common practice all over Atlantic Canada. Down the road from where I grew up a realitively small apartment building rose a few years ago. Despite the provincial laws the owners have a rule for their waiting list that states anybody over the age of 50 with no children living with them is given higher priority than those not meeting the criteria. Since the waiting list for high quality apartments and condos in Bedford are constantly long the owners never have to worry about allowing people in that they do not wish to provide housing for. To date I'm yet to see anybody under 40 years old walk out of that building ...

Quote:
It’s for seniors, but shhh!
Housing project in Windsor to quietly target ages 55-plus
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Wed, Oct 13 - 4:53 AM

A $25-million manufactured home community outside Windsor is marketing itself toward seniors, even though the project manager says provincial law prohibits discriminating against potential tenants based on age.

The Crossing is billed as an "adult living community," aimed at people 55 and up. Brison Developments Ltd. has approval for 200 lots on the Garlands Crossing, Hants County, site, and already has 55 lots prepared.

"We wanted to market it to seniors because that’s what we thought the marketplace would be," said Randy MacQuarrie, the project’s manager.

"But obviously we can’t say that. We can’t discriminate because we’re leasing the land."

If a younger person filed a complaint regarding discrimination based on age, the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission would have to investigate, said Gerald Hashey, the organization’s manager of dispute resolution.

"There’s no question that lots of landlords market their products and they build their products to be attractive to, for instance, the senior population. But I’m not aware of any that specifically prohibit anyone other than a senior from taking up residence," Hashey said.

"Someone can attempt to differentiate their services by providing a benefit specifically for youth or senior citizens. However, that’s never been considered to be carte blanche approval for restricting housing to a demographic population."

The first 10 lots MacQuarrie’s leased at The Crossing have gone to seniors.

"Ninety-nine per cent of the people who have shown any interest at all have been over 55," MacQuarrie said. "The reason people are coming and looking at it is because they want to downsize from multiple-level homes to one-level homes."

Potential customers also want new homes that don’t require much maintenance, he said.

"They’re getting older, they just don’t want the responsibility, (and) they want to travel," MacQuarrie said.

"So they want to sell what they have, take that equity, buy something outright and then take the remainder of their money and use it for travelling and that kind of stuff, not to be tied to their home."

So far, the development hasn’t seen any push back from young people, he said.

"If somebody wanted to challenge us, then we would have to allow them to come in," MacQuarrie said.

"In two years of selling and market research, we really haven’t come up against anybody who’s been terribly interested to push into that."

Older people feel safer in a community that’s aimed solely at them, he said.

"With families and so on, teenagers and that kind of stuff, there’s noise, there’s sometimes violence and all that kind of stuff that comes along with people growing up and coming of age type of thing. So without having any children really around or teenagers, or any of that, it’s a quieter community; they feel safer, a sense of security."

The lots lease for $250 a month and the mini homes start at $106,000.

Higher-end models go for as much as $160,000. "Those have hardwood floors and ceramic tiles and heat pumps. This is people’s last home, so they’re willing to put a few nice things into it."

Most of the units, built by Prestige Homes in Sussex, N.B., are about 1,200 square feet.

"We’re open to anybody who walks in," MacQuarrie said.

"People ask: ‘Is this an adults-only community?’ And I’m very open with saying, ‘No, technically we cannot say that.’ We cannot say that only a certain age bracket can be here . . . but people who are interested in it are all over 55."

He’s been advertising the mini home development in magazines and at home shows aimed at seniors.

MacQuarrie said Brison Developments is owned by Mitchell Brison, Kings-Hants MP Scott Brison’s brother.

( clambie@herald.ca )
Development's Website

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 9:35 PM

Thanks for starting a thread for those of us in the Valley. Not much happens around here, but occasionally we do see projects going.

New Minas has alot of projects going at the moment from a new road, new highway connector (supposedly a round-a-bout) as well as many other projects.

The new school in Kentville is coming along nice as well.

I'll do my best to update this thread with projects I know of.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

So long as the Official Lunenburg Projects Thread stays alive, I'm all for it!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:55 AM

I'm newish to the Valley so I'm still figuring out the projects but I know of;

- The two six-storey buildings project in Windsor (555 O'Brien) is for sale (therefore stalled right now)
- The other Windsor building project near Exit 6 is also stalled
- The new subdivision mentioned in the frist post
- The nod was given this month for a Port Williams subdivision
- An apartment building is proposed for Middleton
- Three new passing lanes are now open on Highway 101 around Berwick

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
- Three new passing lanes are now open on Highway 101 around Berwick
Well that's good news. I have always been disturbed that the 101 west of Kentville is straight, flat and exclusively two lane.........this leads to speeding and reckless passing. The solution for this is more passing lanes!

The 101 should be divided to just beyond Kentville but dividing it further probably can't be justified. Passing lanes would certainly help!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well that's good news. I have always been disturbed that the 101 west of Kentville is straight, flat and exclusively two lane.........this leads to speeding and reckless passing. The solution for this is more passing lanes!

The 101 should be divided to just beyond Kentville but dividing it further probably can't be justified. Passing lanes would certainly help!

The new section is certainly nice but past Berwick/Alyesford I usually turn off and use the backroads for the rest of the trip. Too many people tailgate and pass dangerously in the area so I opt for a slightly slower (but more scenic) trip through the back country via the South Mountain. It also doesn't help I know someone who died on the road around Kentville/Wolfville area.

I have to give credit to the government. They have really stepped up their game in regards to fixing the highway. In the last few years two long and busy sections have been twinned, the notoreous Ben Jackson Intersection has been removed and replaced with a nice interchange, rumble strips have been installed, new passing lanes are in place around Windsor, and the new passing lanes around Berwick are of higher quality than normal (centreline gap and rumble strips). The Windsor area is apparently up for twinning next and hopefully they can start twinning from Gaspereaux (#9) to Coldbrook (#14) soon after. Past Coldbrook the new form of passing lanes should be adequate to the Bridgetown area where traffic levels drop to very low volumes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 11:55 AM

The roundabout in New Minas is supposed to be complete by the end of next month (November.) Personally I don't think it's a good spot for a roundabout. It's right on the main street with alot of traffic. Instead of being able to drive straight through, now you'll have to slow down, go around a roundabout, and continue on. To me, roundabouts are more for a spot like in Windsor or the new Uteck overpass... Exits/ onramps etc. These are good spots for a roundabout/ rotary. Not in the middle of town.

But well see.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 3:01 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm not sure of status or progress but I know there is a project starting at the old Horton High School. I think its near Acadia? An old co-worker of mine is the project manager but I haven't talked to him for awhile. Hopefully I can soon and provide some details.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 9:25 PM

^ You would be talking about Gryphon Landing or something like that. They are building duplex houses where the old Horton High School was. It's only one phase, and they are filling in land, and clearing more land on the other side of the site for more. I've heard quite a few different things that are going in there, so I'm not sure 100% what is going to end up in there.

It's in Greenwich, so It's no where's near Acadia. It's probably about a 10-15 minute drive away from Acadia

Houses like these are what they are building now. They have about 4 built so far, with a couple more almost finished. These kind of houses are popping up everywhere around here. They are more for older folks, and retiree's. But most of these ones are owned by younger people.

EDIT: I did a search and found this article about it.

http://www.novanewsnow.com/Business/...n,-new-homes/1

Quote:
Land preparation has begun on the site of what was the football field at the old Horton District High School.

The bulldozers just went to work, but real estate agent Debra Porter of Royal Lepage says interest is already growing in Gryphon Landing.

MIR1 Developments have commissioned Denim Homes to build tri- and quad-plex homes on two-thirds of the former school property in Greenwich. Porter says the east side will be developed first, with approximately 32 units. Built on what will be called Horton Ave., the individually-owned homes are termed town houses.

The centre section of the 17-acre property will have commercial development around the renovated music/ garage building. “They’ll have affordable prices,” she notes, “about $169,900. Each one will be low maintenance, and five appliances are included.”

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 4:13 AM

King's Count News Article

Quote:
New Minas multi-unit rezoning underway
Published on October 30th, 2010
Kings County Advertiser/Register

Kings County council has given first reading to a New Minas rezoning that will pave the way for a multi-unit, low rise development.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:35 PM

Developer has plans for Valley property
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Fri, Feb 4 - 4:55 AM

Quote:
A Middleton developer has big plans for some mostly undeveloped land at a crossroad just outside town.

Kim Connell said Thursday that his company, Brooklyn Street Developments, is keen to attract more development to the 5.6-hectare property he owns just off Highway 101 near exit 18.

"The decision by the two municipal councils to bring services to the property has given it all sorts of potential," Connell said.

He built and operates a Petro-Canada service station, a convenience store and some related businesses at the location, which was empty pasture for years.

Since those businesses opened in a corner of the property last October, Connell has promoted the site as a home for other commercial or retail developments.

"Over the years, there were lots of inquiries from different companies that wanted to locate at this prime intersection just outside of town," he said. "Now that the land is serviced and some of the property is developed, it is likely more development will follow."

He said a new GM car dealership is expected to open soon on another property near the intersection, and it will help attract other businesses.

Connell used to operate a Chrysler dealership in the area but sold it last spring to concentrate on Brooklyn Street Developments.

"Some people who have not been to the Middleton area for a while would be surprised to see how this intersection has developed," he said.

"Instead of an empty field, the community has new jobs and new taxpaying businesses."

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
N.S. to study Waterville airport relocation
Possible Michelin plant expansion involved

KENTVILLE — The province will fund a study on relocating the Waterville Municipal Airport to make way for a possible large expansion at the nearby Michelin tire plant.

The $100,000 provincial study, in co-operation with Michelin and the Municipality of the County of Kings, will be completed by the end of this summer, Premier Darrell Dexter announced Tuesday.

Representatives of the large tire manufacturer, which has three plants in Nova Scotia, met behind closed doors with officials from the premier’s office and municipal politicians Tuesday morning in Kentville.

Following the meeting, Kings council unanimously approved a motion supporting the Waterville Airport Feasibility Study, which will be chaired by an appointee from the county and the province.

“Michelin requested the study in case they wanted to expand,” Warden Diana Brothers said in an interview following the meeting.

She said she has no specific details on any possible expansion plans by the company. “But the fact that Michelin is coming to the county and the province and asking for this study, indicates something very positive to me.”

Brothers added that the study will help support Michelin’s growth, while at the same time continue to meet the needs of the municipally owned airport, which has a 23-metre-wide, one-kilometre-long runway and 30,000-square-foot asphalt apron. It serves mostly small aircraft.

The airport sits on 38 hectares of land north of the sprawling Waterville plant, which currently employs about 1,200 workers. The company’s three plants in Waterville, Granton and Bridgewater have approximately 3,500 employees.

Dana LeBlanc, president of Michelin North America Canada Inc., said following the meeting that the company asked if the Waterville airport can be moved for potential expansion plans and how much it would cost.

“It’s really just that at this point,” LeBlanc said in an interview in council chambers.

He was asked if the the company plans to expand in the near future, bringing more good-paying jobs.

“We always look for opportunities, and we want to be able to prepare the Waterville site for any potential opportunities that could come in the future,” LeBlanc responded.

“From my perspective, we would be able to expand in that northerly direction where the airport is today,” said LeBlanc.

This would be the ideal land for the company to use for expansion, he said.

Michelin recently announced that it would invest $346 million in its North American operations this year. About $18 million of that has been allocated to the Waterville plant to produce truck and bus tires.

“There is a potential opportunity for future expansion of the Waterville plant that could result in an investment of $500 million and 200 new jobs,” say the terms of reference for the airport relocation study, a copy of which was obtained by The Chronicle Herald.

“Additional financial spinoffs from construction, services and employment would also result from this expansion,” the terms of reference state.

Brothers planned to meet later Tuesday with the joint management board of the Waterville Airport Co-op to make members aware of the possible relocation.

The study’s terms of reference indicate that the Waterville tire plant is built in such a way that expansion of the production line would require building out and into property currently occupied by the airport.

“By looking at possible alternate sites for the airport, the municipality can position itself to take advantage of future opportunities with respect to future expansion of the Michelin plant,” it states.

“If the study comes back positive, and if Michelin has a big expansion, it could be like having a new Michelin plant all over again,” said Brothers.

The study will examine current operations at the airport. There are three businesses there: the Annapolis Valley Flying Association, Atlantic School of Skydiving and the Greenwood Flight and Aircraft Maintenance Centre.

The terms of reference state that any possible alternative site cannot result in loss of agricultural land, must not negatively impact municipal drinking water supplies and must adhere to municipal zoning bylaws. It must also maintain flight path agreements with 14 Wing Greenwood and consider safety and environmental impacts.

The first meeting of the study committee is June 1, with an Aug. 10 completion date.

The premier said it makes sense for taxpayers to pick up the study costs because governments have a responsibility to help facilitate economic development.

“We understand what it is that they need in order to be able to expand, if that should come up,” Dexter said at Province House. “I don’t think that they want to be in a position of . . . raising any expectations. This is a common-sense piece of economic development work for us in order to allow for future expansion, if that should be in their plans.”

Dexter dismissed the idea the funding is related to his government implementing first contract arbitration, legislation that allows initial collective agreements to go before an arbitrator.

Michelin has resisted many past attempts at unionization in the province. LeBlanc spoke about the legislation at Province House in the fall, warning that it was the type of policy that would make it more difficult to sell Nova Scotia as a good place to expand in the future.

Dexter said he has a good relationship with the tire maker, which has assured him it will continue to work with the province.

Liberal Leader Stephen McNeil and Tory Leader Jamie Baillie said they’re still concerned about the potential impact of first contract arbitration on expansion here.

According to Industry Canada data, tires are Nova Scotia’s No. 1 export, with Michelin manufacturing 224 million tires since locating here 42 years ago. The company contributes about $70 million per year to provincial tax revenue and another $70 million in direct and indirect economic spinoffs.

Michelin’s workers in Nova Scotia make up 16 per cent of the company’s total North American workforce. Only South Carolina has a larger workforce.

(gdelaney@herald.ca)

With David Jackson, provincial reporter
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ort-relocation

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 7:02 PM

This could have a bad effect on my uncles flying school. They are based out of the Waterville airport and moved there from the Greenwood base a few years ago. I'm not sure if they could move their operations back to the base, when I was visiting there in fall 2011 it seemed really busy and active.

On the contrary if they expand the Michelin plant that should be good for the local Waterville/Coldbrook area economy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces