HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:53 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Unfortunately, RTD doesn't produce (publically) information on individual bus stop boardings (probably because there are over 10,000 of them), but if you reached out to them regarding a few specific stops, they might be able to help.
It would be faster for them to produce it for all stops - it's a signle PDF that takes them 10 seconds to produce.

There was legislation last session making it so public entities can no longer charge for the first hour in responding to public records requests. Nobody is talking about that much - probably because there's a risk that it'll overwhelm them with requests. But not only can RTD give it to you, they basically have to, and for free in all likelihood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:09 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Also, we looked at ridership to cherry creek when we did our little streetcar study. It was closer to hundreds than thousands. It was actually shockingly low. What ridership there is is mostly pass through ridership to destinations east, Glendale, Aurora. Wealthy people don't ride the bus. And it doesn't get much wealthier than Cherry Creek.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Also, we looked at ridership to cherry creek when we did our little streetcar study. It was closer to hundreds than thousands. It was actually shockingly low. What ridership there is is mostly pass through ridership to destinations east, Glendale, Aurora. Wealthy people don't ride the bus. And it doesn't get much wealthier than Cherry Creek.
As most of us are well aware, CC is happy just the way it is.

Of course, there are two classes of bus riders that might ride buses through or to CC: the first might be the highly idealist upper middle class well dressed shopper who wants to ride the bus with strangers while carrying stuffed boutique plastic shopping bags. I am sure there are many of them. The second are the minions who wash dishes, mop floors, make salads, and, do low level retail. This group would like great public transit in CC but are of little concern to the neighborhood beyond how hard they work and how little they can be paid.

Then there is the reality that thieves go to where the money is, so why provide "them*" with the convenient public transportation?

*Ever walk around CC wearing rumpled Goodwill clothes and a week's beard? A different place than if you dress "wealthy"

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Jul 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
As most of us are well aware, CC is happy just the way it
Actually that's not true. The peeps in cherry creek are all pissed off that the city isn't doing more to improve traffic in the area such as transit, better access and getting the state to address Colorado Blvd. yes most of it is heavy on the car but there are some who want some kind of mass transit.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
Actually that's not true. The peeps in cherry creek are all pissed off that the city isn't doing more to improve traffic in the area such as transit, better access and getting the state to address Colorado Blvd. yes most of it is heavy on the car but there are some who want some kind of mass transit.
They want everything both ways.

"I want to be able to travel easily from my garage out of CC and come home to CC without any other traffic. Of course, I really dislike having to keep my triple pane windows closed until 10:30pm! What I actually want is better traffic convenience for me combined with less pollution and noise.As far as the buses are concerned? What the heck are you talking about! Bring the rest of the city here! Who are you kidding?"
"Besides I do not like smelling stranger's halitosis and under arm smell. Yuck!"

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Everything between CBD and Cherry Creek (Speer, Cap Hill, Country Club) look the most central to me.
Not that it matters that much here, but I do think that CC is a bit more geographically centrally located within the city limits of Denver, but not really that it makes too much of a difference overall.

Just to add, I happened to be googling for something else, and along the way found this. I don't know if it's already suggested somewhere in here, but thought I'd offer it.

http://www.transolutions.org/wp-cont...ity-Study1.pdf

I just basically quickly scrolled through it, and it seems like it could be useful here.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denconyny View Post
Not that it matters that much here, but I do think that CC is a bit more geographically centrally located within the city limits of Denver, but not really that it makes too much of a difference overall.

Just to add, I happened to be googling for something else, and along the way found this. I don't know if it's already suggested somewhere in here, but thought I'd offer it.

http://www.transolutions.org/wp-cont...ity-Study1.pdf

I just basically quickly scrolled through it, and it seems like it could be useful here.

My impression, based on current ridership is that no new bus routes, and, certainly no shuttles, etc., are needed.

Ironically, the extremely rich CC is in a horrible place to put in much more than a few dedicated buses.

My thought on steel rail: maybe a 'cute' orphan trolley loop with heritage cars that serves no commuter need.

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
My impression, based on current ridership is that no new bus routes, and, certainly no shuttles, etc., are needed.

Ironically, the extremely rich CC is in a horrible place to put in much more than a few dedicated buses.
I think this is accurate.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:38 PM
ColoRADo

Just an FYI,

CCD was awarded grant money through DRCOG to do a multi-modal study of the Speer/Leetsdale Corridor. Will include analysis of peds, bikes, transit and vehicles. Person-trip capacity.

DRCOG Funding Table - Speer/Leetsdale

Note: You'll also see money for I-25/Broadway Station Area Plan and Civic Center Station District Master Plan.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:56 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Cherry Creek's Mizpah arch: tower cranes.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 12:37 AM

Another week or so and there will be another crane there.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 12:42 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Another week or so and there will be another crane there.
Yep! 1st and Steele is just about 'bottomed out'. That'll bring it up to 7!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:50 AM

Almost no stick wall 5 and 6 story apartment/condos going up in CC. Don't have to build cheap in CC: either buyers have the cash or they think they have.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:30 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Thread needs a little bump

Here's your approximateish zoomed in view from 250 Columbine:

Cherry Creek Pano by RyanDravitz, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:16 AM

So for 100 Steele I can't imagine a regular crane fitting in there with 2 to the South and 1 to the West. Won't it have to be one of the cranes with a angle? How long since Denver has seen one of those?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
So for 100 Steele I can't imagine a regular crane fitting in there with 2 to the South and 1 to the West. Won't it have to be one of the cranes with a angle? How long since Denver has seen one of those?
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. We haven't had a good old luffing jib crane up since DaVita.

EDIT: HOWEVER:

Quote:
There are some disadvantages of the ‘luffers’ when you compare them to a tower crane:

1-. The price of the luffing-jib crane is much higher than a regular tower crane. The tower frames of a ‘luffer’ are stronger, and the luffing mechanisms are much bigger than the hoist system of a tower crane. Of course the technology applied to move the jib, counterweights, etc is the highest.

2-. The cost of assembling and dissassembling are much higher too. Most of the structures are heavier, and it takes longer to erect a luufing-jib crane. Once again, to erect a luffer is more difficult due to the technology applied, etc.

3-. The jib of a ‘luffer’ acts as wall to the wind, and the ‘moment’ is much bigger. So the restrictions of the tower are higher.

4-. Due to the luffers don´t have trolley motor (the movemnet is made by the total jib), the working process are slower than in a tower crane.
http://metas.co/Dosyalar/LINDEN_COMA..._vs_torres.pdf

Man, all this crane research is giving me a... craner?

Last edited by RyanD; Aug 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:29 PM
Up Up and Away

Lol Ryan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 4:48 AM

one of the cranes came down on first and steele. It looks like it is topped out but the other crane was raised I think

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 4:53 PM

Does anyone know of any construction cam links for any of the projects in CC?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:48 PM
Never Dell

I liked CC (the urban part, not the mall) when I visited last year. And fantastic stuff happening since then.

Just guessing, but transit could be poised to take off in the coming years, at least from a real estate perspective. If parking is free (or cheap) and plentiful today, will it always be? As the neighborhood gets tighter land-wise, will prices cause developers to push parking ratios down, even if the numbers remain high compared to Downtown? Will traffic have a similar effect on riders? Further, what happens if/when buildings go gradually downmarket over time, maybe changing the "rich" demographic?

The result of all that might be significant transit growth as the neighborhood matures, even if it's only turning 5-10% (or whatever) into 10-20% of a bigger pie.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West