HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

90 George in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:08 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

The last information I had was March/April and well, it appears there is no chance of that. Delayed again ... surprise surprise. I wonder how many purchasers they lost with all of these delays.

A few months ago the occupancy date, which amidst all of the previous delays had already been extended to the latest date legally allowed by that contract, was further extended. This meant that they had to re-issue new contracts to all purchasers. It also provided an opportunity to anyone with a good lawyer to back out of the purchase agreement and obtain a complete reimbursement of deposited money.

I can tell you I was one.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:25 PM

^^ That horrid covered walkway on Rideau really should be taken out!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
The last information I had was March/April and well, it appears there is no chance of that. Delayed again ... surprise surprise. I wonder how many purchasers they lost with all of these delays.

A few months ago the occupancy date, which amidst all of the previous delays had already been extended to the latest date legally allowed by that contract, was further extended. This meant that they had to re-issue new contracts to all purchasers. It also provided an opportunity to anyone with a good lawyer to back out of the purchase agreement and obtain a complete reimbursement of deposited money.

I can tell you I was one.
Didn’t you leave a lot of money on the table by walking away at this point? I did notice they put a few units back on the market, but at substantially higher prices. The one bedrooms seem to have sold quickly even after the price hike (of 10-15%).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:20 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I received every penny of my money back. However, the unit did indeed appreciate since I purchased it, so one might argue that I lost out on the difference between the price I paid and the appreciated price (which I could have tried to obtain had I held on and put it on the market).

But,

Another event that further alarmed me was the splitting of a bunch 2 bedroom southeast corner units into two 1 bedroom units. Before this happened, the condo was more than 80% sold; that percentage being the magical number required to be able to register the condo as a corporation.

When the split occurred, that dropped the percentage to less than 70%. This meant that the building could be completed and have occupants living within, but because the condo corporation would not yet exist the unit would technically not be owned by the purchasers. In this situation, one is in effect 'renting' their own unit from the builder.

All this to say that there was a risk that I wouldn't even be able to sell it for god knows how long after it was completed, which seemed even more a possibility due to the significant slowdown in sales (which by looking at their web site continues today).

So I opted to take the easy, headache-free option and walk away with my cash in hand. I had other immediate uses to put that huge down-payment towards anyway, namely another property.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:02 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the capital urbanite View Post
The small one could probably go but the the other one is too well used. I wish it were a nicer, lighter design though, like this one in Manchester UK:

N.J. Higham

N.J. Higham

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 11:32 PM
Still optimistic

Yes! YES YES!!!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:08 AM
you know my steez

A couple of my shots from today

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the capital urbanite View Post

I have long felt a considerable improvement to Rideau street would be to move those below grade. You could have escalators go down from inside the lower level of Rideau Centre and the same on the Freeman Mall side (simply extend the stack down another level)

Below ground, there would be additional retail space or an enlargement of the Bay...whichever there is more of a market for.

The other thing they could easily do on Rideau Street is have a bit of a post consolidation exercise to clean up the sidewalk. There are locations where there are 3 big posts side by side. I can think of one place where there is a lamp post, a traffic light post AND a post for an overhead street sign (I think marking bus lanes out) within a foot of each other. Can't some of this stuff share a post!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:27 PM
Mooderator

Ha.. that 'condo' banner is still flapping in the wind. I'm surprised it didn't get blown away yesterday. Some homeless dude could've had a nice tent.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I have long felt a considerable improvement to Rideau street would be to move those below grade. You could have escalators go down from inside the lower level of Rideau Centre and the same on the Freeman Mall side (simply extend the stack down another level)

Below ground, there would be additional retail space or an enlargement of the Bay...whichever there is more of a market for.

The other thing they could easily do on Rideau Street is have a bit of a post consolidation exercise to clean up the sidewalk. There are locations where there are 3 big posts side by side. I can think of one place where there is a lamp post, a traffic light post AND a post for an overhead street sign (I think marking bus lanes out) within a foot of each other. Can't some of this stuff share a post!
Rideau and George St. need a MAJOR makeover.Walking on George is horrible, you don't know where the sidewalks are, druggies everywhere,

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:32 PM
Mooderator

7 april 2008

A couple from today. It's actually HOT up there on the roof of the Rideau Centre today.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 8:14 PM

This building should never have been allowed

This thing is simply too tall for this location. I'm still unclear why Ottawa needed to have an apartment building 19 storeys tall, on the south end of the Market so that it (partially) blocks sunlight on George Street. Let's hope this building is not the start of a slippery slope that will turn the Market into an inhospitable cave like the central business district.

The beauty of the Market is that it's people-friendly: most buildings are low-rise which allows sunlight in and keeps the wind out. In a cold climate like Ottawa, this is key. Please Ottawa, don't destroy the one good thing left about urban Ottawa: the Byward Market. Building like this don't help!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 8:48 PM

Shadow is not an issue in my opinion (see google earth and compare length of CLPL shadow) as the building is on the south end of the market. Setback is enough so that ti does not impose too much on Rideau and not at all on George. From Noon onward the shadow is cast to the east anyway. Couple of hundred new homes will not likely degrade the people friendly image of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
This thing is simply too tall for this location. I'm still unclear why Ottawa needed to have an apartment building 19 storeys tall, on the south end of the Market so that it (partially) blocks sunlight on George Street. Let's hope this building is not the start of a slippery slope that will turn the Market into an inhospitable cave like the central business district.

The beauty of the Market is that it's people-friendly: most buildings are low-rise which allows sunlight in and keeps the wind out. In a cold climate like Ottawa, this is key. Please Ottawa, don't destroy the one good thing left about urban Ottawa: the Byward Market. Building like this don't help!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
That is what people get wrong. That is what they don't get.

High buildings doesn't take away any of the "humaness" but, if anything, adds to it;
What is humaness? is it small buildings? because I can tell you this, Barhaven isn't human by any stretch of the imagination. The humaness of which you reffer is attributed by the humans. Hence the word HUMANess. Even the ones that live in EXTREMELY high, unhuman residences. So next time you walk around looking sourly at the, ummm, "high" buildings, try to imagine if all of them lived in Orleans: the market would be a couple thousand humans less human!
That is also why the CBD is so dead! Nobody lives there!

You silly people!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post

High buildings doesn't take away any of the "humaness" but, if anything, adds to it;
What is humaness? is it small buildings? because I can tell you this, Barhaven isn't human by any stretch of the imagination. The humaness of which you reffer is attributed by the humans. Hence the word HUMANess. Even the ones that live in EXTREMELY high, unhuman residences. So next time you walk around looking sourly at the, ummm, "high" buildings, try to imagine if all of them lived in Orleans: the market would be a couple thousand humans less human!
That is also why the CBD is so dead! Nobody lives there!

You silly people!

There must have been some alcohol in your chocolate fondue, but really good writing. I suggest people to watch Radiant City. If anything, high rises put humans together. It's fun to have movie nights in my building, talking to neighbors, going to the same cafés. Humans are meant to function as a group, thus highrises are more suited to that than individual houses.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 2:45 AM

I have no problems with a building of that height in that particular location. The tower is sleek and modest and the facade looks great from steet-level. You can feel the vibe on that stretch of Rideau that things are going to get better. As each individual building does its part to clean up the streetscape, more and more pressure is put on other property managers to do the same (i.e. they better repaint those Rideau Centre walkways soon).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:00 AM

90 George is NOT a beautiful building. It is an OTTAWA (synonym for "bland") building. It does not suit the area, but neither does that godawful bank building next to it. Just another example of horrible, incompetent urban planning in this town. Typical Ottawa mish mash of mismatched buildings - no eye for beauty or esthetics from anyone (city planners, coucillors, architects, developers). Poor, poor Ottawa. Ever the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
90 George is NOT a beautiful building. It is an OTTAWA (synonym for "bland") building. It does not suit the area, but neither does that godawful bank building next to it. Just another example of horrible, incompetent urban planning in this town. Typical Ottawa mish mash of mismatched buildings - no eye for beauty or esthetics from anyone (city planners, coucillors, architects, developers). Poor, poor Ottawa. Ever the bridesmaid, never the bride.
That's still only your opinion. For me it's a great example on how you can accomdate low rise building nearby in a highrise. If anything, we should have more buildings like that in the market. It adds life and character.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:55 AM
Closed account

While I like 90 George, the city should be careful in allowing high-rise condominiums in the market. Highrise buildings do have negative effects, shadows and wind being the primary problems associated with them. Presently the market isn't developed at a density that is problematic, but too much could have a negative impact on the unique character of the market.

I should really look deeper into the city's official plans regarding height and density. Personally, I think the city should really direct growth along Rideau St, as well as along Somerset/Wellington. Basically, focusing density along neighbourhood corridors, thereby increasing the viability of higher order transit along those corridors. Carling would be another interesting candidate since it has plenty of space for a transit line, plenty of amenities on the eastern side that may be attractive to developers and a lower likelihood of NIMBY opposition.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 2:18 PM

I never suggested the Market should look like Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post

When I say this building is too tall, I'm certainly not advocating the construction of suburban-style single-family homes in the Market area! As we all know, to have a vibrant (and safe) community, you need high density, a lively streetscape with a good mix of street-level retail services, and a pedestrian friendly environment (ie., trees, wide sidewalks, sunlight, etc). The question is how best to achieve it? The CBD has none of these qualities, which is why Sparks Street is doomed to remain in its current sad state. Suburban high-rise developments may achieve high density but typically lack the other two requirements. What does work in an area like the Market is a series of low-rise (3 to 4 storey) apartment blocks sitting atop street-level retail. This creates the density needed without the inherent drawbacks of towering high-rises.

90 George Street is a perfect example of willy-nilly development that sets a bad precedent for the Market's southern boundary. (Really, who wants to be sipping a cocktail at a patio with apartments towering high above you?) Besides, like the other writer here said, with its boxy utilitarian design, it is kinda ugly. Can you see a tourist visiting the Market point to it and say "Wow, look at that, kids"? (I can't.)

I have nothing against tall towers (why else would I be here?). But they have their place, and it's certainly not in a historic district like the Byward Market. Just take a walk in practically any European city to see how it should be done.

Last edited by jitterbug; Apr 8, 2008 at 4:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa