HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 7:35 PM

yes 110 or so with Arbec ( the old Weyerhaeuser) which has re-opened, There was also an article on the train services which was on CBC NB this morning but has now disseapeared that was talking about another sawmill re-opening (Newcastle Lumber I believe) in the next year or so...

So in all, if you count support jobs and other jobs that will be a spinoff to these jobs creation, might be close to 900 jobs in the next few years for the Miramichi area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 7:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
So in all, if you count support jobs and other jobs that will be a spinoff to these jobs creation, might be close to 900 jobs in the next few years for the Miramichi area.
Excellent news, and when you add in the multiplier effect (2-3x), this becomes really big in a community of 20,000 or so!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 8:03 PM

It will have an impact on all of north eastern NB, lots of people travel between Bathurst, Caraquet, Tracadie and Miramichi to go to work so it will be good all around!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 8:20 PM

From what I understand the railway service was in question this morning because CN reportedly began pulling up the tracks to the Sawmill and the Miramichi Port. Someone stepped in and managed to get the work to stop so, the rail remains for now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:36 PM

I guess Kent bought Rona in Pont-Landry or something. I drove by the other day and it's a Kent store now. I don't know if they're gonna keep that building or move to Tracadie in a bigger store, it's kind of out of the city in my opinion.

I also heard Costco is going to Tracadie, lots of people are talking about it but I can't see it. I think it's gonna be a Wal-Mart like a lot of you were saying above.

Nobody knows what's going to replace zellers in Bathurst and Miramichi yet?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:07 AM

Haaa the regional gossip on Costco !! I'm pretty sure Costco would like to set up shop in a protest prone area

For the Miramichi mall, I don't know, that is going to be an extremely sad place once Zellers closes.

As for the one in Bathurst, Athletes world is shutting down, which is right next to zellers, which would lead to believe that a SportCheck could take place.

The administration is saying that some existing tennants want to relocate to a larger spot in the mall and some possible new tennants have been inquiering about setting up shop at the mall. I've hear Garage, La Senza and some other known clothing store that I just can't recall at the moment but nothing has been confirmed and so far I think it is just wishfull thinking.

I strongly doubt that they will rent the space as one unit, they will most likely divide it in smaller units.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Haaa the regional gossip on Costco !! I'm pretty sure Costco would like to set up shop in a protest prone area
Still no announcement for that mysterie Tracadie store? I can't see it being anything else than Wal-Mart.

Quote:
As for the one in Bathurst, Athletes world is shutting down, which is right next to zellers, which would lead to believe that a SportCheck could take place.

The administration is saying that some existing tennants want to relocate to a larger spot in the mall and some possible new tennants have been inquiering about setting up shop at the mall. I've hear Garage, La Senza and some other known clothing store that I just can't recall at the moment but nothing has been confirmed and so far I think it is just wishfull thinking.

I strongly doubt that they will rent the space as one unit, they will most likely divide it in smaller units.
I think you're right about the former Zellers space. With Wal-Mart and Sears already in town, I really can't think of any other large surface store that would set up shop in that space. They'll likely divide it up and lease them separately. Hopefully it'll still be retail and not some call centre... sounds familiar? The initial decline of Chaleur Centre.

SportCheck typically has larger stores than Athletes World. The recent failure of AW is not the greatest confidence booster for SC to open a store in the same spot, unless they have a smaller store format I don't know about.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:23 PM

Some news for Edmundston,

There is interest from a Montreal company in the old restaurants Bel Air and Seafood paradise, unknown what the name of the company is but they are looking at restarting the restaurant.

Also the zoning request for the old Pattison sign building atop 44th anvenue has passed, Apparently some investor have bought the building and some tennants would be lined up but zonage needed to be changed in order for things to go further. No idea of whom will set up shop there.

Glad to see that all tho some people had the NIMBY attitude, the change went forward

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:21 PM

Buses back on the road in Northern NB

Maritime bus will be opening a Campbellton-Moncton route with stop in Bathurst in May. It will run for a certain amount of time to see if the company can generate some revenue from the route.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Some news for Edmundston,

There is interest from a Montreal company in the old restaurants Bel Air and Seafood paradise, unknown what the name of the company is but they are looking at restarting the restaurant.

Also the zoning request for the old Pattison sign building atop 44th anvenue has passed, Apparently some investor have bought the building and some tennants would be lined up but zonage needed to be changed in order for things to go further. No idea of whom will set up shop there.

Glad to see that all tho some people had the NIMBY attitude, the change went forward
I think Valentine or Chez Ashton had given interest before the restaurant was bought by the Chinese investors. Of course they were the same who had bought the Praga and Bel-Air.

As for the old Pattison building, they apparently want to do a small "business center" where all sorts of small businesses who can't afford big rents could go to start up with lower rent. I believe they also want to do the same for the old police station but for more administrative businesses.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:41 PM

Those would be nice, i'm not sure about either of them tho, Ashton since they only have restaurants in the Quebec city area according to their website and Valentine seems to have nothing passed Quebec city and the closest franchise available listed on their website would be in Degelis in a rest area but I guess only time will tell.

And a new vocation has been found for the old police station, city counsel has approved a plan to convert the old police station to a commercial building and there is also the possibility of a 10 unit residential building beeing built right next to it. This would be a $1.5 million in investment and to help, the city is selling the building to the promoter for $1.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 9:50 AM

I heard that NB liquor is moving inside the superstore mall in Bathurst. I wonder what is going to replace the current liquor store location?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 9:19 PM

No word on that yet but I can't see it remaining vacant for too long, it's at a High traffic spot in on St. Peters with enough parking.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:04 PM

Well looks like there is a company trying to buy the old smurfitstone mill site to do ship construction. http://www.marineindustriesplus.com/

This is a I will believe it when I see it type of thing. They are talking about 1000 to 1300 jobs, but its comming from a company that has no history of shipbuilding, tacky website and no one seems to know that this was comming. All tho this would be great for the region, lets say i will not hold my breath on this one.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 5:20 PM

I heard that too and I think they're getting people excited without even knowing if they're really coming. I did visit the website too when I heard about it a few days ago and like you said, their website ain't showing any background of ship building or anything. I'm not trying to be negative, only realistic. We definitely need something around here to boost the economy. I am hoping they're going forward with this but I am on your side, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:25 PM

Twin Rivers (Fraser)sold!

well Brookfield management just sold their Twin Rivers Branch ( Edmundston mill, Madawaska maine mill and Plaster Rock sawmill) to a consortium made of Blue Wolf Holding and Atlas holding, 2 investment companies out of New-York.

Plan is to diversify and improve the rentability of the mills, its not their first time with paper mills and they have quite a sucess in the past.

Hope this is the begining of better days!!

ho and also the Bel Air restaurant has been sold to local investors, no news yet on what will take place there.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 PM

Première Nation Malécite du Madawaska : Grey Rock aura un Centre de jeux

Publié le 16 mai 2013 à 16 h 08
Auteur : Marie-Pierre Beaubien

La Première Nation Malécite du Madawaska a procédé aujourd’hui à l’ouverture officielle du mégacentre commercial de Grey Rock. Plus de trois cents personnes ont assisté à l’événement. Ils ont appris qu'un nouveau Centre de jeux y sera construit.

Dix ans de durs labeurs récompensés, les nombreux partenaires célèbrent l’ouverture officielle du mégacentre commerciale Grey Rock. «Nous avons longtemps rêvé et le rêve devient réalité», souligne la chef Joanna Bernard.

Grey Rock, c’est un complexe commercial de 28 hectares, creusé dans la montagne près de la transcanadienne. «C’était un champs de foin, une montagne rocheuse. Beaucoup beaucoup de dynamitage. Littéralement, on a déplacé des montagnes», a déclaré la propriétaire d’Edmundston Truck Stop, Vicki Wallace Godbout.

«C’est incroyable. C’est un rêve presque impossible de voir un gros projet d’envergure comme ça se réaliser sur une Première Nation», a renchéri le directeur des opérations d’Edmundston Truck Stop, Marco Godbout.

Ce centre commercial en bois et en pierre sera construit prochainement sur le site. Et le clou de l’événement, un Centre de jeux. Il emploiera entre 125 et 175 travailleurs. «Ça veut dire beaucoup. Ça veut dire des emplois. Ça veut dire des familles. Ça veut dire qualité de vie. Ça veut dire faire rouler aussi l’économie. Donc c’est énorme», a souligné la députée-ministre d’Edmundston – Saint-Basile, Madeleine Dubé.

Le projet est évalué à près de 13 millions de dollars. La Première nation malécite du Madawaska a investi à elle-seule plus de 9 millions. Ottawa a injecté 3,5 millions de dollars et Fredericton 500 000$.

«Je pense que tous les Brayons, toute la république du Madawaska va (être fière) d’une pareille infrastructure chez nous. Je crois que c’est une lancée prometteuse», a rappelé le ministre des affaires autochtones et du développement du Nord Bernard Valcourt.

Le conseil de bande espère générer des retombées économiques de 300 millions de dollars durant les huit premières années d'exploitation du mégacentre commercial.

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouvelle-Regional_Grey_Rock_aura_un_Centre_de_jeux-5718

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:43 PM

Also, from what I've heard, the First Nations would also like to approach the City of Edmundston in hope to build the sought out new arena on their land. With the First Nation in the project it would be a major financial push. The city could possibly invest in it as a regional sports infrastructure and maybe they could secure themselves as a major tenant but without taking full financial responsibility of the project.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:51 AM

Can't wait to see what they will fill those 10 rental spaces with....

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 1:45 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Aren't totem poles traditionally a West-coast form of art? Isn't it a bit stereotypical putting one in front of this place?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces