HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 4:28 AM
Hypnotized

Another update has been made under Western Provinces in the Canada section.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 9:30 PM

can't wait for city centre one

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 8:42 PM
That's what she said

The front page list seems to be out of date. We should look at taking the current Calgary Construction thread front page and putting it here.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 9:59 PM

A little ? I think a few years
I think all the traffic migrated to he regional forum years ago. For any of you out there and beyond who have not seen the lastest Calgary compilation, here is the link. There is MUCH more going on than the rest of the world knows. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128010

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Boy View Post
A little ? I think a few years
I think all the traffic migrated to he regional forum years ago. For any of you out there and beyond who have not seen the lastest Calgary compilation, here is the link. There is MUCH more going on than the rest of the world knows. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128010
There really is an incredible amount of construction especially considering the popuatlion is about 1.1 million. It sure is fun to watch it happen

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:23 PM
Baryonic Lord

Yes I agree.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:58 PM

Latest Calgary thread can be found here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=151592

They move fast!

Claeren.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:31 PM

I was looking into other Canadian cities such as Toronto and Edmonton. I think Calgary is getting some of the nicest buildings.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 2:23 PM

Calgary to Explore Bid for 2026 Winter Olympics

Quote:
The memories of the 1988 Winter Olympics live on in the minds of Calgarians nearly three decades after the games. The sports spectacle increased the Albertan city's presence on the world stage while fostering a lasting sense of community. Even the built facilities of the Games, which many recent Olympic hosts have struggled to find uses for, have continued to serve important functions today. Now, Calgary has the opportunity to rekindle those experiences, as councillors vote to explore a bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics.

The City of Calgary approved a recommendation by the Calgary Sport Tourism Authority on June 20 to establish a bid exploration committee that will examine the costs, benefits, and feasibility of hosting the event. Doing so will cost $5 million CAD, but given Calgary's last go at the Olympics — it was widely considered to be one of the most successful ever — it's a temptation that's hard to resist. A study commissioned for the Sport Tourism Authority shows the Games could produce 40,000 jobs and generate $3.7 billion for Alberta's economy.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 10:27 AM
Hong Kong

Exodus of Vancouver developers should be red flag for Calgary
CBC Excerpt
Apr 29, 2021

It all started so innocently. A phone call to Mike Bucci, vice-president of Vancouver-based Bucci Developments, to talk about their new Dominion project in Bridgeland. It ended up as a discussion about the uncertain future of residential development in Calgary's city centre.

Bucci Developments has been part of the renaissance of urban living in Calgary's city centre for the past 25 years, building over 1,200 new homes in Bridgeland and Kensington. But, for the first time in 25 years, Bucci has no new projects in the works for Calgary. While Mike Bucci said he would like to keep the Calgary team together, he is starting to think he might have to move staff to Vancouver, as the future of Calgary's downtown and its neighbouring communities is uncertain.

While I always try to be positive about the future of Calgary's city centre, this doesn't surprise me. Like many urban analysts, I've wondered for several years now why builders keep constructing new highrise residential towers when the downtown employment numbers are falling. With the two major markets for highrise living being young downtown workers and empty nesters, one would assume less downtown employment means less demand for new downtown residential projects.

Plus, with COVID restrictions, empty nesters may be rethinking the idea of downsizing from their large suburban homes to a downtown apartment. If you can't enjoy the fitness centre and amenities of the highrise, or the restaurants, arts events, and festivals of the downtown, why move there? Better to stay in your suburban home with its home gym, media room, lots of space for offices and even your own large deck for socially-distanced gatherings with family and friends.

More : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...hite-1.6005771

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations