HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:45 PM

I told a few coworkers of mine here in NYC who are originally from India that this thing could be an international menu. They said they would fly to Chicago if there were a few items from the India menu there. LOL

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:53 PM
The City

I've been to the McD in India. There is some yummy stuff there you will not get outside of their Indian restaurants.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
South Side Masonic Temple
6400 S. Green

South Side Masonic Temple by Stephanie Barto, on Flickr
Demolishing that building is the most Chicago thing they could do. Pretty sure we'd rather be more like a Dallas type city with a bland pallet of glass buildings than a city with anything historical or any texture in our neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Demolishing that building is the most Chicago thing they could do. Pretty sure we'd rather be more like a Dallas type city with a bland pallet of glass buildings than a city with anything historical or any texture in our neighborhoods.
sadly thats right in the heart of the bombed out Englewood neighborhood, it doesn't make financial sense to renovate It must be in absolutely horrible shape, looking at street view of it pretty much confirms it

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
South Side Masonic Temple
6400 S. Green

South Side Masonic Temple by Stephanie Barto, on Flickr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I heard that this is being demolished because it isn't structurally sound anymore, and I assume there isn't the money to correct its issues.

Last edited by wchicity; Dec 8, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Well it would ruin Fulton Market, and it would ruin the first few blocks of Randolph. It may be tolerable way out by Aberdeen.

The whole thesis of Fulton Market is that it's host to best-of-breed dining, food, and other services. Everyone working there (look at the face photo collage on Halsted at Fulton) is an artist striving at the top of the game; it's kind of an artist colony where the ideal is the pursuit of quality and innovation, over flashiness and repetition and efficiency. Are people going to flock to a Soho House or a Nobu Hotel if there are KFCs littered across the neighborhood?

McDonald's, in contrast, is a dinner-of-last-resort type of place, the pinnacle of profitmaking and the culinary equivalent of VE'ing.

And the last thing we need is suburbanites GPSing themselves off the Kennedy or out of the Loop to the nearest McDonald's for a bite. I think it would be fine if the McDonald's over by Ogden continued to serve that purpose.

get over yourself. this pearl clutching at the thought of suburbanites having the audacity to drive down Randolph street is something else.

frankly, as someone who works in the area, im pretty sick of not being able to snag a quick no-frills lunch for under $10 (aside from all the italian sub joints that are great but get old pretty quick). i dont really care about McD one way or the other, but the neighborhood is going to have to evolve very quickly as more offices relocate from the Loop, and the expectation that 9-5'ers are going to be dining at Avec and Girl and the Goat every day is obviously unrealistic.

also LOL at SoHo house somehow being perceived as some hallowed artist community. place is a country club for "marketing professionals".

Last edited by Via Chicago; Dec 8, 2017 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

get over yourself. this pearl clutching at the thought of suburbanites having the audacity to drive down Randolph street is something else.

frankly, as someone who works in the area, im pretty sick of not being able to snag a quick no-frills lunch for under $10 (aside from all the italian sub joints that are great but get old pretty quick). i dont really care about McD one way or the other, but the neighborhood is going to have to evolve very quickly as more offices relocate from the Loop, and the expectation that 9-5'ers are going to be dining at Avec and Girl and the Goat every day is obviously unrealistic.

also LOL at SoHo house somehow being perceived as some hallowed artist community. place is a country club for "marketing professionals".
This is the best comment of the month.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, not sure that Fulton really has the whole "artist community" cache... it's a yuppie neighborhood through and through. I don't mean that in a derivative way at all, but any "artist" that lived in a loft in Fulton Market left about 5 years ago.

I think the McDonald's is going to be fine. A) I think the fact that the global HQ of an international fast food chain is located here is proof enough this isn't some artistic enclave and B) of course they were going to have a mcdonalds there, and you can bet they are going to try to make it very trendy and state-of-the-art.

I thought the universal hope for Fulton is that it becomes be a full fledged, thriving neighborhood. In order for it to attract lots of activity, it needs to have a diverse offering for lots of city residents, not just the ones who are looking to Instagram their $14 cocktails after a day shopping at Lululemon.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:49 PM

i dated someone who had a place on fulton maybe 5-6 years ago, and she still lived in one of those raw loft spaces. poor heating, original windows, rickety staircases, paint stained hardwood floors, half finished canvases strewn all over the place, cheap partitions thrown up, incredible natural light...and cheap. its luxury condos now. do the math. those folks arent there anymore. theres still some high end galleries selling high end stuff for high end homes, but thats hardly the same as being a neighborhood working artists can afford to live in. i dont know why this myth continues to persist, other than the fact that it really has changed so incredibly rapidly. SoHo and Nobu and Ace have nothing to do with the arts, other than they are effective at co-opting and culturally appropriating the arts for branding purposes. theyre quite savvy at it and clearly its effective on some level, but lets not kid ourselves that this is anything but comfortable upper middle class consumerism (and really, at the prices condos are selling for over there now, its beyond middle class).

Last edited by Via Chicago; Dec 8, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:00 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I heard that this is being demolished because it isn't structurally sounds anymore, and I assume there isn't the money to correct its issues.
I would believe that. That 4-story stone/brick building on the NE corner of Wells and Huron has some foundation issues and it's going to cost in the neighborhood of $165,000 to have them addressed. That's for one standard-width, 4-story building. I can hardly imagine what it would cost to address a whole litany of issues in a building on the scale of that Masonic lodge.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:18 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Well it would ruin Fulton Market, and it would ruin the first few blocks of Randolph. It may be tolerable way out by Aberdeen.

The whole thesis of Fulton Market is that it's host to best-of-breed dining, food, and other services. Everyone working there (look at the face photo collage on Halsted at Fulton) is an artist striving at the top of the game; it's kind of an artist colony where the ideal is the pursuit of quality and innovation, over flashiness and repetition and efficiency. Are people going to flock to a Soho House or a Nobu Hotel if there are KFCs littered across the neighborhood?

McDonald's, in contrast, is a dinner-of-last-resort type of place, the pinnacle of profitmaking and the culinary equivalent of VE'ing.

And the last thing we need is suburbanites GPSing themselves off the Kennedy or out of the Loop to the nearest McDonald's for a bite. I think it would be fine if the McDonald's over by Ogden continued to serve that purpose.
Holy Shit

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=Near North Resident;8012858]sadly thats right in the heart of the bombed out Englewood neighborhood, it doesn't make financial sense to renovate It must be in absolutely horrible shape, looking at street view of it pretty much confirms it.

Oddly enough there is an article in the Trib today which talks about the turnaround and optimism that is taking place in Englewood. Apparently crime is down and Englewood is on a bit of rise. There is a good probability that in about 10/15 years the Englewood as we know it will be a thing of the past and as such we will look back on a structure like the Masonic Temple and wish we had saved it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:00 AM

Nobu Hotel in Fulton Market selling before it's built
Quote:
By Ryan Ori
Chicago’s Nobu Hotel is still in the early stages of construction on West Randolph Street, but the Robert De Niro-backed hotel and restaurant is already getting a new landlord.

Mexico’s RCD Resorts has struck an almost $20 million deal to buy and take over the Fulton Market district development at 854 W. Randolph St., according to sources. The 11-story building with a 119-room boutique hotel and a restaurant from chef Nobu Matsuhisa is expected to open at Randolph and Peoria streets sometime in 2018.

The seller is M Development, led by longtime Chicago developer Mark Hunt.

RCD Resorts knows the Nobu brand well, having helped redevelop the historic Eden Roc Miami Beach Resort & Spa. Part of the historic Eden Roc was converted into a Nobu Hotel and Restaurant that opened in 2016. It was the third luxury hotel location for Nobu, which opened at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas in 2013 and in Manila in 2015.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...208-story.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:00 AM
1st Ward

^ Hopefully that means construction will resume soon

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
i dated someone who had a place on fulton maybe 5-6 years ago, and she still lived in one of those raw loft spaces. poor heating, original windows, rickety staircases, paint stained hardwood floors, half finished canvases strewn all over the place, cheap partitions thrown up, incredible natural light...and cheap. its luxury condos now. do the math. those folks arent there anymore. theres still some high end galleries selling high end stuff for high end homes, but thats hardly the same as being a neighborhood working artists can afford to live in. i dont know why this myth continues to persist, other than the fact that it really has changed so incredibly rapidly. SoHo and Nobu and Ace have nothing to do with the arts, other than they are effective at co-opting and culturally appropriating the arts for branding purposes. theyre quite savvy at it and clearly its effective on some level, but lets not kid ourselves that this is anything but comfortable upper middle class consumerism (and really, at the prices condos are selling for over there now, its beyond middle class).
Pretty much this. I have lived in Fulton Market for 6 years and continue to do so. I have watched my building's garage transform from Accords and Camrys to BMW M3s and 911 Turbos. Artists left long before the meat packers as their leases came due annually and they saw rent increases right away, while merchants typically had longer agreements (if they leased).

Agree with SoHo and Ace comments as well. Though for anyone interested, Ace's upstairs and easily accessible bar provides a unique view of the city.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap_Shot View Post

Agree with SoHo and Ace comments as well. Though for anyone interested, Ace's upstairs and easily accessible bar provides a unique view of the city.
Are the shots cheap ?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:15 AM

Not that I'm a fan of McDonald's (minus their fries, ice cream, and egg mcmuffins), but "going to ruin the neighborhood" is such an asinine statement. It's going on the ground floor of their HQ which is a nice looking big building. This isn't some stand alone McDonald's in the middle of a big parking lot. Get over yourself.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Are the shots cheap ?
You know, I'm not really a shots guy so I don't know

But the beer is cold and cocktails for the gf aren't half bad.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:52 AM
Leftist Correctist

^Best comment v. ID dynamic ever?

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:01 AM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not that I'm a fan of McDonald's (minus their fries, ice cream, and egg mcmuffins), but "going to ruin the neighborhood" is such an asinine statement. It's going on the ground floor of their HQ which is a nice looking big building. This isn't some stand alone McDonald's in the middle of a big parking lot. Get over yourself.
I'm much more passionate about defending Wendy's. Someone with something negative to say about the spicy chicken is someone I don't want to know. That said I gave McDonalds grief for a long time. I don't know if its because I sold out or if I just grew up and I don't really give a shit anymore. Anyways, I never REALLY liked the food or anything, even when I was a kid, and honestly the place held more symbolism in the area of teenage independence than anything else. I went through a pretty long streak in my twenties though after seeing Supersize Me where I wouldn't touch the place. Not because I was a gullible hipster asshole, but because it was an opportunity to discipline myself against something that was easy to avoid. Then one day, probably only in the last two years or so to be honest, I gave in and got some drivethru fries when I was starving like a m'fer and oh my god. The beef sucks and what they call a burger should be illegal, their chicken is pretty freaking awful too and I would rather eat a bowl of cold cereal from a homeless man than the breakfast menu, but those goddamn hot oliy french fries are like crack. As far as I'm concerned it's the only thing keeping them in business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development