HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Architects of our era are taught—except possibly at Notre Dame—that buildings should be of their time, reflecting the social and political conditions under which they were created, and using the most efficient technology of the era. So few architects would want to design a truly historicist building, few developers would want to pay for one, and few contractors could properly construct one. In categories like luxury residential, where there's demand for the historic forms and ornament, modern compromise solutions include certain large, impressive elements—but on buildings using today's technology and materials.
Yes. And this is why the vast majority of buildings going up in our city (and mostly, everywhere) are complete disappointments.

It's the fashion equivalent of a time when Men wore suits and dress shoes everyday, and now men today where t-shirts and cargo shorts everyday.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Yes. And this is why the vast majority of buildings going up in our city (and mostly, everywhere) are complete disappointments.

It's the fashion equivalent of a time when Men wore suits and dress shoes everyday, and now men today where t-shirts and cargo shorts everyday.
Yes, exactly! Not saying it should be everyone's tastes, but it should for sure have a place today!

By the way apologies if your not supposed to link to commercial websites. I'm not trying to sell anything, and don't work for them.

http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_d...san_Collection

Here's a link to affordable interior ornate ornaments. It's in the hundreds of dollars range. If your buying a $600,000 home, it's a fraction of the home cost, and not too much money. With this website, you can make your home look just like Versailles if you want to. You can even get some smaller pieces for $30-50, even the cheapest apartment dweller could afford that. I believe it makes a home look very distinguished. You only have to follow proper proportions, and go with what looks right to your eye. It takes minutes to install with a bit of glue.

There's also the local Chicago company Decorators Supply Company that's been in business since 1883. Although, they are more expensive.

https://decoratorssupply.com/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post

Whoa so tru. The tyranny of dockers and square hair cuts.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:59 AM

Hopefully not off topic, but plans to move forward on a projection system onto the Merchandise Mart were covered in the media recently:

http://abc7chicago.com/society/art-o...walk-/3139849/

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/26...deo-public-art

This appears to be intended for formal artwork. Though have always thought it would be interesting to enable everyday people to project something onto a building. Would probably need to ensure it can't get quickly obscene, but a panel where people could create images that project to a building or somehow project themselves (still or in motion). Could imagine that being a popular attraction.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Feb 26

Mar 3

Nice

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I agree that good proportions and ornamentation is timeless.

It may not be of everybody's taste, but that's a different discussion. The need to see intimate and familiar objects, symbols, human faces, etc are as old as our species itself. We were doing it since we began drawing animals on cave walls.

I do believe that some modern version of human scaled ornamentation has a role in contemporary construction. It is something that there is a demand for and should be explored, instead of shunned by overly dogmatic modernists.
And I would think that giving people what they want should be a principal objective. For example, regardless of how anyone feels about Lagrange's approach, he is meeting a market demand. Other architects have the opportunity to better this approach with their own revivalist themes that marry present and past.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:17 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Shame to see them disappear. Cost to bring them up to the City's more recent structural code is proving costly though. Our building just took ours down a couple months ago. It was almost 20k to remove it. It was going to upwards of 60k to bring up to code though.
That’s what I’m saying, if I can build a wood deck for $15k on the high end and still make a nice profit, building a (faux) wooden water tower shouldn’t cost 4x as much. The only difference is the elevation - getting materials up there and taking proper safety precautions.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:20 PM

I wonder what they're building the cement platform for...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I wonder what they're building the cement platform for...
They need a nice solid surface for the big press conference announcing this location as the selected site for Amazon's HQ2, duh!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:23 AM

^ LOL! I wish. They're just trying to contain some radioactive section of the field

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ LOL! I wish. They're just trying to contain some radioactive section of the field
Wait really? Any idea why that section is radioactive? I know that Lindsay Light was responsible for the thorium in Streeterville, curious who was responsible here

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Wait really? Any idea why that section is radioactive? I know that Lindsay Light was responsible for the thorium in Streeterville, curious who was responsible here
LOL didn't think anybody would take my comment seriously...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL didn't think anybody would take my comment seriously...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
They need a nice solid surface for the big press conference announcing this location as the selected site for Amazon's HQ2, duh!
Has Related released any type of full site plan, other than the couple of renderings that have been floating around?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:13 AM

Groundbreaking soon? IIRC no actual groundbreaking yet just the project announcement

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:46 AM
TL;DR

I have to imagine the pad is for some kind of structure. Maybe a sales center, or some kind of container market like the one Related is doing on Randolph this summer? (No idea how folks would actually get there...)

Based on the hiring of Hollwich Kushner, 3XN and Adrian Smith Gordon Gill, it’s possible we could be looking at the footing for some kind of big installation that will generate hype.

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 8, 2018 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpThere View Post

This isn't a function of of fashion. Its a function of the well optimized economics of the day. Unless its a vanity project by a govt or a super high end tower, its built to a profit algorithm.
So that's it? Aside a few instances, quality architecture/design/materials are dead and we should be ok with that?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:09 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
Has Related released any type of full site plan, other than the couple of renderings that have been floating around?
No, and only a few weeks ago I was told (by a source who'd know) that Related was still working out what they wanted to do, but had been forced by CDOT to specify intersection locations for the Wells-Wentworth construction that will happen this year. Surveyors' stakes are out on the site for that, and I think also for the Metra track relocation.

I was very surprised to see the slab being poured yesterday morning, though it's only a few inches thick, just sitting on a bed of gravel, and didn't seem to have much if any rebar. So that makes me think it's very temporary, and Related folks have talked about "meanwhile" uses for big parts of the site during buildout. Temporary/lightweight construction would make sense for some kind of container market/food truck thing—though I think that's loony from a retail and marketing standpoint.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpThere View Post
Well, see if you can convince the money men to pay a little more for some style. Its not like there was not ton of boring crap buildings built in the past. We just tear most of those down and save the gems.
I'm sure people were complaining about how similar all the bungalows were when built. Now they are protected/landmarked.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I was very surprised to see the slab being poured yesterday morning, though it's only a few inches thick, just sitting on a bed of gravel, and didn't seem to have much if any rebar. So that makes me think it's very temporary, and Related folks have talked about "meanwhile" uses for big parts of the site during buildout. Temporary/lightweight construction would make sense for some kind of container market/food truck thing—though I think that's loony from a retail and marketing standpoint.
I've often wondered if there isn't a more economic way to use these large vacant plots of land until construction starts. I know City Farm Chicago has a model based on farming. I wonder if something else (like a mobile solar farm) would work. What are the hang ups?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development