HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 4:00 PM
not a cynic

comment deleted, thread repurposed

Last edited by boisecynic; Sep 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 12:10 AM
not a cynic

Big news!

Boise hires designer for whitewater park

http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoo...ry/320414.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 1:59 PM
SharonU

I am glad to hear that the VPNA is actively looking for ways to communicate effectively. In case this forum doesn't catch on, there is a group out in Eagle that has successfully used Yahoo Groups to exchange information and ideas. You can find out more about them and how they communicate at VOICE_of_EAGLE@yahoogroups.com .

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:51 PM
not a cynic

Wow! Look who's come out of the woodwork. Long time no see Sharon. Are you going to run for Ada County Commission again? Hey, what can you do for our neighborhood? I have a huge wish list. If I'm not mistaken VPNA is part of your district.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
not a cynic

River Recreation Park open house tonight at Whittier Elementary at 29th and Bannock. 6 PM, presentation begins at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
River Recreation Park open house tonight at Whittier Elementary at 29th and Bannock. 6 PM, presentation begins at 6:30 PM.
How did the open house go? Good attitudes among the attendees or were the "anti/growth/tax/anti anything good that benefits us" kind of people too vocal?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:17 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
How did the open house go? Good attitudes among the attendees or were the "anti/growth/tax/anti anything good that benefits us" kind of people too vocal?
Sorry Cottonwood, I haven't checked this thread in a while. The RR Park open house was a full house. I'm guessing well over 100 people. I was very distracted because I had my kid with me. I think it's safe to say, everyone there was in favor of the RR Park. The question and answer portion of these meetings is always my favorite but unfortunately I missed most of it.

The question I would have asked is about Garden City residents not having public access, except via bicycle via the greenbelt. How many GC residents will be driving all the way around to park on the Boise side. This seems silly to me. You can't fight Garden City Hall though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:25 PM
not a cynic

The Goodman Oil Property.

This is a new topic that I believe is worth some discussion. I don't know if you all caught the Statesman article, but somebody has turned that property in for a code violation, and the City of Boise has opened a code enforcement case:

Statesman article, front page, Monday 3-31-2008:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepie...ry/338057.html

Get the code enforcement details here:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...ype=act&insp=i

And finally, one pic, but really, it would take dozens of pics to properly depict the deplorable conditions of this prime river front property.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:10 PM

Quote:
The Goodman Oil Property.

This is a new topic that I believe is worth some discussion. I don't know if you all caught the Statesman article, but somebody has turned that property in for a code violation, and the City of Boise has opened a code enforcement case:

Statesman article, front page, Monday 3-31-2008:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepie...ry/338057.html

Get the code enforcement details here:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...ype=act&insp=i

And finally, one pic, but really, it would take dozens of pics to properly depict the deplorable conditions of this prime river front property.

I cringe when I drive by that place, too! I am guessing before any work can be done the EPA will need to come in and do soil tests. There is going to be some major clean-up involved with that. I can't believe it was left such a dungheap.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:26 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
I cringe when I drive by that place, too! I am guessing before any work can be done the EPA will need to come in and do soil tests. There is going to be some major clean-up involved with that. I can't believe it was left such a dungheap.
The statesman article quotes Susan Goodman stating that they have had a private brownfield assessment and that the result was no brownfield issues. My question; Where is a copy of that private brownfield assessment?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:00 AM
not a cynic

First time ever seen on the web! Rare aerial from 1969 recently found and scanned by Boise City Historian, Tully Gerlach. Thanks Tully! Original size must have been huge, the pdf that I got was 5.5 MB and when I converted it to jpg, I got a 5184 x 6552 pic. Lucky for you all, I rescaled it down to a manageable 1024 x 810. It's still half a megabyte, though. Sorry.

Here's a screencap from google earth, probably only a few years old.

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:27 AM
not a cynic

Here's a sample of one very small portion of the pic at much higher resolution. Guess where!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:11 PM

Nice pics!! Goodman Oil seemed to fit right in with the surrounding area way back then....oh wait, it still does.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:59 PM

I wish the tracks were still there. They would have been helpful for a light rail. Does anybody know that big building with the big shadow a block and a half southwest of the Red Lion Hotel? It's right above the tracks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:21 PM

I don't know what it was, but now the freeway runs right there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:31 PM

Well, thats right down 23rd St. and from the looks of it its where part of that furniture store is. Something else kinda funny with that photo because I would have never thought that the old Kmart building was that old.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:18 PM
not a cynic

It would be fun to find the differences. Aw, never mind, there must be hundreds. The ones coming to me right away, no Shoreline Blvd to connect 27th with the old Kmart, Whittier school back lot, the shape of Quinn's Pond, and the no-name ponds not even there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:24 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
I wish the tracks were still there. They would have been helpful for a light rail. Does anybody know that big building with the big shadow a block and a half southwest of the Red Lion Hotel? It's right above the tracks.
I think you're talking about what appears to be a tall building just south of 23rd and Fairview, my gf's dad thinks that was the Eddy's bakery that blew up due to the bad mix of welding and a gas leak. Her dad says that downtown Boise was covered by bread wrappers. This has not yet been confirmed. Stay tuned.

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:13 PM
not a cynic

Boise Greenbelt Comprehensive Plan 1968

Groovy Greenbelt Comprehensive Plan brochure from 1968!

This wonderful historical document can be found at the Boise City Library, 3rd Floor Reference Section, or at the Idaho Historical Archives, 2205 N Old Penitentiary Road
Boise, ID 83712, in the filing cabinets under Boise/Parks/Greenbelt.

Look, there's a giant greenbelt lake and the 30th Street Extension was proposed way back then. It was proposed to go all the way from the proposed Curtis Extension past Americana to 9th Street. Is that why there's a short little street called Shoreline. Oh, what could have been!

Edit: Adding key words to improve page rank.
Boise Greenbelt Master Plan

Last edited by boisecynic; Jul 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
It would be fun to find the differences. Aw, never mind, there must be hundreds. The ones coming to me right away, no Shoreline Blvd to connect 27th with the old Kmart, Whittier school back lot, the shape of Quinn's Pond, and the no-name ponds not even there.
Do you know how to copy a screen shot of that area off of mapquest with just the aerial image? I can't figure it out and I've seen you do screen shots before. Posting one of those would be sweet to show some of the differences.

Regarding the 1968 report, I'm amazed with the foresight they had back then and more so that we're still trying to get some of the things that were addressed back then completed. Damn suburbia...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West